Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vettel: I'd probably do the same

Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Vettel: I'd probably do the same

Thursday 11th April 2013

Sebastian Vettel has taken a hardline approach to the Malaysian GP controversy, saying he's "probably" do it again.

The reigning World Champion courted controversy last time out when he disobeyed team orders to ****** the Malaysian Grand Prix victory off team-mate Mark Webber.

After weeks of silence, the German revealed earlier this week that he would not apologise for winning a grand prix as that is what Red Bull Racing pay him to do.

Now he's gone even further, admitting he would do it again in the same circumstances.

"I am not sure I can give you a proper answer because in the moment it might be different, but I would probably do the same," he said.

"Had I understood the message and had I thought about it, reflected on it, thought what the team wanted to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second... I think I would have thought about it and I would probably have done the same thing.

"He didn't deserve it.

"There is quite a conflict, because on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions and the other hand, probably Mark is not the one who deserved it at the time."

Asked whether, based on that, that he was 'paying' Webber back for past transgressions, Vettel said: "Probably you could say indirectly so.

"But as I tried to explain after the race in my opinion it's always best to be truthful. Maybe sometimes the truth is not what the people want to hear because as you can see controversy is more popular than the truth.

"I told you after the race what happened; I was racing, as a racing driver I was solely focused on winning the race. I got a call on the radio which I heard but I didn't understand at the time.:pi stols:

"I should have understood, that's why I apologized to the team because in my action I put myself above the team but that wasn't my intention. Whether you believe me or not is up to you."

Why would anyone apologized if you would do it again? This guy is an idiot and a scumbag.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

He's certainly not an idiot and I'm not sure about a scumbag, but it was a ****** thing to do. But, he's spent his whole life training to do only one thing and that is to win races. I can sort of believe in the moment that he wasn't programed to obey an order to let someone else win. I don't think mere mortals can appreciate the dedication and determination it takes to be a world champion at ANYTHING, let along driving F1 cars.

But what the hell do I know? I'm a Lewis Hamilton fan...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I can sort of believe in the moment that he wasn't programed to obey an order to let someone else win. I don't think mere mortals can appreciate the dedication and determination it takes to be a world champion at ANYTHING, let along driving F1 cars.
First, he is a mere mortal, albeit a German one, which likely means he thinks he's not one.

Second, the team actually had code words for the situation - words discussed and agreed upon by all involved prior to the race/season. That code word ("multi-21") was given to him...

Third, if you are paying me $XX million per year to drive your race cars and you tell me to do something, guess what?

Fourth, If I am paying my drivers $XX million per year to drive my race cars and I tell you to do something, guess what?

"I don't see any people in the world who could disobey their company and not be sanctioned."
- Lotus team principal Eric Boullier

And just today:
http://en.espnf1.com/redbull/motorsp...ry/105112.html

"The team made a decision to get the car to the end. But Seb made his own decisions and will have protection. That's the way it goes."
- Mark Webber after the race in Malaysia
Z//

Last edited by Zoxxo; 04-11-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Why apologized when you say you would do it again possibly?

Only credit I can give is he is not lying now. Should be some interesting races ahead with the two teammates.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I Don't see the issue. He's the best, he could pass so he should win.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Did you believe the same thing after the 2002 Austrian GP, that the "best" driver should win so the whole situation was okay?

In my view, Vettel disobeyed orders, and Webber was completely justified in his description of what would (or really, wouldn't) happen to SV. I'm looking forward to see the fireworks when Vettel disobeys an "order" from Ferrari. You know its going to happen...

I like Button myself. Doesn't seem as high-strung as some of the other drivers seem to be.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
That's because you don't understand Formula One. It is a team sport and the team decides how things go whenever they chose to do so. There are two championships running side-by-side in F1 every year - the driver's and the constructor's (because each team has to actually construct their race cars "from scratch.") Both of a team's drivers earn points towards the constructor's championship in each race. At the end of the season Formula One awards the (very large amounts of) prize money to the teams in the order of their standings in the constructors championship. So guarding their points take at every race is more important to the teams than any single driver's finishing position.

In most cases these conflicting interests don't actually conflict (this comes up rarely) but when they DO conflict then, as the old adage goes, "the man who pays the piper calls the tune." Allegedly, anyway.

In 2011 the prize fund payed out to the teams totalled $557 million dollars (not a typo) so you can see why the constructor's championship is of far more interest to the teams that all that driver drama crap.

Z//
Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Seb most certainly understood the team orders, but he had a point to prove since they wouldn't "get Mark out of the way" like he demanded halfway through the race. He's no idiot. He knew 100% what he was doing. He's gunning for a 4th straight title and there's no way he was going to let Mark get those points.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Mark is not pushing as he heard the team orders. The spoiled brat Vettel takes advantage and makes the pass. Jeopardizing both cars in the process. Too much entitlement on Vettel's behalf.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I hope karma gets the spoiled brat. Webber reportedly looking to leave next year.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 AM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget this:

Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Mark is not pushing as he heard the team orders. The spoiled brat Vettel takes advantage and makes the pass. Jeopardizing both cars in the process. Too much entitlement on Vettel's behalf.

This is my thing, Vettel used the team orders to his advantage to sneak an unsuspecting Webber. Good thing for Webber is that Vettel showed his cards early in the season. Game On!!! Should be some really good racing between the two this year. They might as well forget team orders.

This sounds like part of the reason they were banned. Doubt that would have happened were it not for Alonso.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Hope webber has a chance to spoil vettel winning at the end of the season if he is in contention.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember when racing was racing and whoever was faster could/should win. This BS of telling a faster driver to stay behind his slower teammate isn't racing. I understand it is normal for F1, but it isn't racing as it should be.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kingrobby25
Remember when racing was racing and whoever was faster could/should win. This BS of telling a faster driver to stay behind his slower teammate isn't racing. I understand it is normal for F1, but it isn't racing as it should be.
sucks but you cannot really stop it as they tried in F-1 so may as well make it open knowledge.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact is that the order was given to both drivers to turn the cars down to conserve fuel and tires or else they are going to loose constructors points trying to battle each other when they both have to pit for tires and/or run out of fuel before finishing the race. Vettle knew he had that opportunity to pass Weber and then dial things back because he knew Weber wouldn't try to pass him and risk running out of fuel. It was a bush league move on Vettles part.

If I'm Weber, and I'm going to retire at the end of the season, the gloves are off now.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:15 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never a big Vettel fan. Even less now.

Get notified of new replies

To Vettel: I'd probably do the same

Old 04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by varkwso
I was never a big Vettel fan. Even less now.
One of the high points of todays race for us here was Vettel's failure to make the podium.

Z//
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
One of the high points of todays race for us here was Vettel's failure to make the podium.

Z//
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoxxo

Z//
+1. Gotta say though, focusing just on his driving, SV was running like a man on fire on the last set of tires. Too bad he's become so darned arrogant...

Glad to see that mix of cars and drivers on the podium. Should be another really good season

Last edited by hklvette; 04-15-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vettel: I'd probably do the same