Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 PM
vinniemc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default helmet recommendations

I've never been to autox or the drag strip, but I will be going pretty soon. I need a snell 2005 approved helmet I think? I want an open face one because they seem to have the best visibility. Any recommendations for a decent cheap one?

Thanks,

- Vinnie
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Unless you have eyes on the side of your head, a full face helmet is just fine. Does a nice job of protecting your lower face in a nasty collision.

You need to go and try some on to get an idea of size. A lot depends on your $$$, from lower end Pyrotect are nice to Arai which are one of the very best...and dozens in between.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Zamp is what I use and was about as cheap as they come like 170 bucks. It fits better than every other helmet I own like all my mtorcycle helmets.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Snell standards are issued every 5 years. So the most current is 2010. Also, Snell standards can be M (for motorcycle), SA (special application, including racing), K (for kart).

Check with the clubs you would run with to learn what their standards are. Most probably M would be acceptable, but I would still suggest checking.

I'd suggest getting a SA2010 so that you have the most flexibility with what you might want to do in the future, and you have the longest possible time horizon with the helmet before it is no longer valid. It's not much more expensive.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 AM
vinniemc
Racer

Originally Posted by acrace
Snell standards are issued every 5 years. So the most current is 2010. Also, Snell standards can be M (for motorcycle), SA (special application, including racing), K (for kart).

Check with the clubs you would run with to learn what their standards are. Most probably M would be acceptable, but I would still suggest checking.

I'd suggest getting a SA2010 so that you have the most flexibility with what you might want to do in the future, and you have the longest possible time horizon with the helmet before it is no longer valid. It's not much more expensive.
Yeah that sounds like a good idea, a 2010 helmet will be good until 2022 or something like that.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acrace
+1. I've always had good luck with Bell Helmets. Not necessarily the cheapest, but I'm not a fan of skimping on safety items. Arais are really nice, but they're expensive and run pretty small. I haven't been able to find one that is comfortable to wear.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Look at Impact and Simpson helmets as well. If you can find a race shop in your area go and try on several helmets, they all fit a little different even when the same size. If you want a really nice helmet try a Stilo at HMS Motorsports in Danvers but be sitting down when they tell you the price. The owner of HMS sells helmets and other safety equipment to Hendrick Motorsports for their NASCAR teams and is a recognized safety expert. He will tell you what you need to look for in a helmet for comfort, safety, etc.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store

Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the Zamp. I wore out a G-Force before this one and the Zamp looks and fits just as good for less money. Might as well go with a SA2010 and you will be covered. Not sure if any clubs are mandating full face over open or not. Seems I read some rules at some place that indicated they required the full.

Just bought my first full face though and thinking the open face may better suit me. My old helmet was open face and while I have been hit with debris a couple of times I find I'm driving with the visor open on the new full face. The clarity isn't that great at least on the Zamp visor. It has some wavy distortions or something. Also the full face smells which I assume will eventually go away.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default You have to try them on first.

I thought for sure I would get a Bell when looking all over the net but when i tried them on they kept rubbing the top of my forhead too much. I put on an HJC and it was PERFECT! It was also less expensive then the Bell M4 and looks sick in matt black. $300.
Also, the pads inside fit my cheecks nice and snug like I can almost bite them. It makes for a comfortable, snug fit.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I too would recommend trying them on first if possible. I have had Shoei, Simpson and Bell and each time I was surprised that the helmet I wanted, thought would be best, didn't feel right when I tried it on...maybe it is my odd head, but I always want to test them first.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
Zamp is what I use and was about as cheap as they come like 170 bucks. It fits better than every other helmet I own like all my mtorcycle helmets.

Also, Summit Racing.
Get an SA2010

Last edited by FKING1; 02-14-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I too would recommend trying them on first if possible. I have had Shoei, Simpson and Bell and each time I was surprised that the helmet I wanted, thought would be best, didn't feel right when I tried it on...maybe it is my odd head, but I always want to test them first.
Exact same experience. Picked one after much research only to find none of the sizes fit right. Ended up with a Bell GP.2. Although it was more than I wanted to spend, it was by far the best fit. With luck, we only need to buy one helmet every 10 years, so it's best to get the right fit.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:30 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is HJC.
$200 helmet = $200 head.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23
always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is hjc.
$200 helmet = $200 head.
IMO SA2010 = SA2010 as long as it fits correctly.

Last edited by Han Solo; 02-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:29 PM
RxCritical
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Check the internet and you will find several stores selling the HJC FS-3 which is a open face motorcycle helmet rated Snell 2005 for around $70 bucks. And it's comfortable, at least for me.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vinniemc
I've never been to autox or the drag strip, but I will be going pretty soon. I need a snell 2005 approved helmet I think? I want an open face one because they seem to have the best visibility. Any recommendations for a decent cheap one?

Thanks,

- Vinnie
Simpson voyager - has a large visor
the sa2010 is 300 bucks and will be useable until 2020
Old 02-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by dfinke23
Always get a little concerned when someone asks for the cheapest helmet. The best quality for the money is HJC.
$200 helmet = $200 head.
so your head is worth only $500

Originally Posted by Han Solo
IMO SA2010 = SA2010 as long as it fits correctly.

you lose light weight benefits, better materials and sometime comfort/fit with cheaper helmets.

That being said If you use the helmet all the time then I agree buy a more expensive helmet because those extras are very nice over the long run, but if you are going to use your helmet only a few times than a lower end SA compliant helmet will be just fine.

My first SA helmet was a Gforce. It was not expensive compared to others, but it fit my needs at the time.

Originally Posted by Snell foundation
While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a user's head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell Standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost.

FYI to the OP - I believe some places are now requiring SA Full Face Helmets. you will not have an issue seeing with a full face helmet. They even make ones with larger eye ports for people with glasses so maybe look into those if you are concerned.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 02-15-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To helmet recommendations

Old 02-16-2013, 09:56 PM
cruzin2
Pro

I've owned hjc and aria motorcycle helmets. The Arai was allot more money. It's main benefits was comfort and lower wind noise. My road race helmet is a Simpson and its as nice as the aria. It is very comfortable and I Can wear it all day. It's also light weight, has a wide field of view, the shield slides up niceandstays up when I want it to.

Last edited by cruzin2; 02-16-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not all helmets fit the same. get one the fits YOUR head. IMO a little snug at first. The insulation may stretch a bit the more you put it on and take it off.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Something to think about is basal skull fracture protection: e.g. HANs Device or similar. I personally won't get on a track without one, nor will I take a passenger without one. I don't think an open face helmet will provide the same level of protection as a full face when considering the front of the helmet is what holds your head from going forward when the helmet is stopped by the HANs device.

My own personal experience that I am here to tell the story of:
http://www.c66racing.com/Blogs/Safetygear.htm

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Quick Reply: helmet recommendations