Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona Track Event April 11-12

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Daytona Track Event April 11-12

It's only been since about 2007 that those of without competitive licenses have been able to drive the Rolex roadcourse at Daytona International Speedway.

Since that first event sponsored by an Audi club in Dec 2007, several more organizations have sponsored HPDE's - PCA, PBOC, an Italian marque group, and Hooked on Driving has paired up with the Audi club a couple years ago to co-sponsor the Dec event.

But, all these events have been held in the fall (Oct, Nov, and Dec).

I've run events with Flat Out Motosports, and I got an email today that they will be holding a Daytona track event April 11-12, 2013.

Edited: Flat Out says that there will be instructors, so novice drivers can attend.

There will not be any classroom instruction.

Instructors will need Daytona experience. The clubregistration site indicates instructors pay $400 for 2 days.

You can read below that you can run one day or both days. The price is expensive for a track event, but is just about the same as all the other groups I've run here with - I've heard it costs something like $35,000 a day to rent Daytona!!!

So....if you want to run the Rolex 24 roadcourse at Daytona and the fall track dates haven't worked for you in the past, maybe this April event will work for you!!

Below is a copy of the email I received.

Hope to c'ya at the track!!!

Bob

Flat Out Drivers,

We are pleased to announce that we will be sponsoring the upcoming CECF (Celebration Exotic Car Festival) Charity track days at DAYTONA International Speedway. We are inviting all of our drivers to come out and participate.

Drive your car on the one the most famous race track in the world! For two days (April 11-12), legendary Daytona International Speedway will be ours. We will have the FULL Rolex 24 hour road course (3.56 miles), and all cars are welcome! THIS IS A CHARITY EVENT and all payments and proceeds are going DIRECTLY to the charity not Flat Out Motorsports. We are simply sponsoring the track portion of this great event.

There will be 3 run groups for this event and one of those run groups is dedicated to Ferrari Challenge cars as there will be a challenge car race. The other two groups will be for all other cars and will be split up based on driver experience and car performance potential . Each run group will get four 30 min. sessions per day. If you are planning on running One Lap of America this is your only opportunity to get out on the track and do some testing before the OLOA event. Cost for this event is $795 for 2 days and $495 for one day. REMEMBER all payments are going DIRECTLY to charity. Registration can be done at www.clubregistration.net

All cars will go through tech inspection done by Ferrari of Central FL. Please have fresh brake fluid and pads on for this event as this is the fastest track in the country. Newer tires are also extremely important, the right rear tire takes the most abuse at this track. SA2005 helmet, long sleeves and long pants are required for this event! No M-Class helmets will be allowed, no exceptions.

This is a great opportunity to drive on a world class track at a time of the year it is not usually available to the public and the best part is it's all for charity.

We have gotten a group rate of $59/night at the Quality Inn Daytona Speedway located directly across the street from the race track. Just make sure to mention Flat Out Motorsports when making your reservation to get the special rate.

Quality Inn Daytona Speedway
2250 W. International Speedway Blvd, Daytona Beach, FL.
(386) 255-3661

Track insurance for this event is available through Hayden Wood Insurance
http://haydenwood.com/hwimotors/

The track days are just one part of the the Celebration Exotics Festival. There is also a car show, rally, food & wine festival, etc... If you would like to participate in any of the other events that are part of the festival please visit www.celebrationexoticcars.com

Please feel free to invite any of your fellow track rats!!

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us @ flatoutmotorsport@gmail.com . We look forward to seeing you soon.

Drive Flat Out!

Flat Out Management
www.FlatOutMotorsports.us

Last edited by BEZ06; 03-03-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Info from Flat Out indicates novice drivers will be able to attend
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Don O.
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Daytona

Have fun Bob, I am slammed with work in April and cannot make this one!

Don
Old 02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I got some more info from the Flat Out guys.

Here's a response I got to a few questions about novice drivers, instructors, passengers, garages, number of cars in each run group, etc.:

Instructors WILL be available for new drivers as long as we have
enough sign up. You are right we don't usually don't have students
or instructors but we (FOM) are just sponsoring the event, it's not
actually ours.

No convertibles without cages/rollbars.

Instructors WILL need to have prior experience at Daytona and must
emial us (FOM) their credentials before registering as an instructor.

There will NOT be any classroom instruction that I am aware of.

The nice thing about clubregistration is that I can see how much
experience/history a person has directly on the website and group
folks accordingly. Prior Daytona experience is not necessary to be
solo for this event. Someone that has been solo qualified with PCA,
PBOC, Chin, etc.. will be solo qualified for this event. (Daytona
isn't really a hard track, just very fast)

I am still waiting to hear if passenger wristbands will be available
for purchase. I have already asked that question myself. I believe
last year they did. Not 100% on this yet though.

We will have garage access, I believe the garages on the left hand
side when you are coming to the pits down the main road.

I am not sure what the #'s will be per run group as we don't know how
many people will be registering. Due to the cost and the fact that's
it's not a weekend we aren't expecting a huge turnout and we will cap
it if necessary. But remember, the $$$ is going directly to charity
so it's hard to cut it off.

C'ya at the track!!

Bob
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Subscribed
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Time to check the bank account, and apply for vacation time.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I have a 385 rwhp Camaro that reaches 139 mph at Roebling road. The factory 162 MPH limiter is still in place, would I need it turned off for this track?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmmm.....I dunno!?!?

You can see a video of my C6 Z06 below - it's stock except for a Killer Bee intake and a mild tune (maybe 20hp over stock, so maybe 525hp).

I do about 162+ into the brake zone for the Bus Stop chicane, and 175+ across the S/F line before braking for the turn into the infield.

So....you might get close to 162 down the front straight of the tri-oval, but I would think more like 155 with that kind of power in your Camaro.

Bring the Vette!!!

C'ya at the track!!

Bob

Old 02-05-2013, 07:30 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hmmm.....I dunno!?!?

You can see a video of my C6 Z06 below - it's stock except for a Killer Bee intake and a mild tune (maybe 20hp over stock, so maybe 525hp).

I do about 162+ into the brake zone for the Bus Stop chicane, and 175+ across the S/F line before braking for the turn into the infield.

So....you might get close to 162 down the front straight of the tri-oval, but I would think more like 155 with that kind of power in your Camaro.

Bring the Vette!!!

C'ya at the track!!

Bob

The Vette was sold, I will learn more in the Camaro for the next few years then a C5 Z06 will be in order. The Vette was WAY too nice to put on track.

I feel I will learn a lot driving the Camaro, easier to go fast in a Vette

I see what you are saying, At Roebling I am really close to having to go to 5th gear before I get on the brakes into turn 1. I run 4th alllll the way out.......with a 3.42 gear thats really close to 140mph.

Car doesnt pull 5th gear well, not enough gear, grits or aero. In cool air it hits 162 pretty quick though in a straight line.

Been wanting to run Daytona foe a LONG time,DAMN its pricey.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Awesome seeing I missed the Dec events due to broken valve spring. Wife's b'day is the 16th - I wonder if she would like to to go Daytona for her birthday?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waddisme
Awesome seeing I missed the Dec events due to broken valve spring. Wife's b'day is the 16th - I wonder if she would like to to go Daytona for her birthday?
Glutten for punishment you are.............
Old 02-06-2013, 11:24 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by waddisme
Come on down for the NCM event at Sebring the end of March and just stick around for a couple weeks!!!

Bob
Old 02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
mikey
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Daytona is pricey, but it's definitely a bucket list item. To run the high banks is pretty cool. I got a little bored in my formula enterprise though. Aero drag limited me to 139mph, but still managed 2:04 lap time.

First timers, in case nobody tells you, just note the wall in turn one when you enter back onto the oval from the infield section can come up quickly. Not dangerous, but might surprise or slightly scare you. Just keep your head up and looking down the track - don't stare at the wall!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

A month to go until this next Daytona event.

Anybody else going?

Bob
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
...... The clubregistration site indicates instructors pay $400 for 2 days.

www.FlatOutMotorsports.us
Guess that explains why they don't usually have instructors.

Sun n Fun is that week, also. Might get several sites in at once.

Get notified of new replies

To Daytona Track Event April 11-12

Quick Reply: Daytona Track Event April 11-12