Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mixing tire brands / compounds - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Mixing tire brands / compounds - Yes or No?

In preparation for the upcoming HPDE season, I have been going through the tires in my shop to see what still has some useful life.

I have almost 40 tires, not counting the ones on my two cars, a little bit of everything.

Street: Goodyear Runflats, Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, and Nitto NT01s.

Track: Hossier R6s and A6s, and Goodyear RS3s.

As a result of my mediocre tire management, I do not have many matched sets.

My Question: Would it be reasonable to mix R6 / A6, or with a Goodyear RS3?

I understand the different properties of the tires, but I am only a "week-end warrior" looking to get a few extra track days out of my supply. I have been spending almost $400. per week-end on tires, so I am just trying to get a handle on my operating costs.

My flame suit is on, do what do you think?

Last edited by NVR2L8; 02-02-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll step in before everyone says no .

For hpde if you have some experience with car control I would go for it. Just be aware of which tires are on which wheels so you can have some idea of what the handling characteristics will be and how they might change front to rear over a session or day. For example, I was doing a track day in Reno/Fernley several years ago on scrub dunlop slicks and corded the front tires in the morning. I figured they would last all weekend so I was screwed until another guy told me he just dumped 2 NT01's in a dumpster in Reno and they still had some life in them. So I went and mounted the NT01's on my front wheels and kept the slicks in the back and had a great weekend. In general, I would mount the stickier tires in back since a slight push will be safer than a sudden spin.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
I'll step in before everyone says no .

For hpde if you have some experience with car control I would go for it. Just be aware of which tires are on which wheels so you can have some idea of what the handling characteristics will be and how they might change front to rear over a session or day. For example, I was doing a track day in Reno/Fernley several years ago on scrub dunlop slicks and corded the front tires in the morning. I figured they would last all weekend so I was screwed until another guy told me he just dumped 2 NT01's in a dumpster in Reno and they still had some life in them. So I went and mounted the NT01's on my front wheels and kept the slicks in the back and had a great weekend. In general, I would mount the stickier tires in back since a slight push will be safer than a sudden spin.
+1. I used to drive w/GY supercars in front and Nitto R-II in rear on my C4 and then the C5. Just go w/the stickier tire on the rear for safety and you are good to go. Don't expect much getter lap times then you'd get w/the front type tire.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I do it all the time. Just know which axle has less grip and make sure the stickier tires of the set go there. I would suggest a durometer unless you have a good knowledge of tires. Treadwear numbers are not uniform across brands.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I did it with several types of tires.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It all depends on your experience level, but as a rule of thumb I always told my students to never mix & match tires. There are way too many things to focus on and worrying about differing levels of grip per corner is something a true novice shouldn't have to do.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
It all depends on your experience level, but as a rule of thumb I always told my students to never mix & match tires. There are way too many things to focus on and worrying about differing levels of grip per corner is something a true novice shouldn't have to do.
I would also give the same advice to students. Since I am an advanced level driver, and instruct for six different groups, and know my cars capabilities very well, I feel pretty comfortable with managing the various grip levels. Also, I wouldn't even consider mixing any type of street tires with R comps.

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've seen an A6, R6, and V710 on your car at the same time
Old 02-04-2013, 04:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
I've seen an A6, R6, and V710 on your car at the same time
And some with only 9psi in them.

Get notified of new replies

To Mixing tire brands / compounds - Yes or No?

Quick Reply: Mixing tire brands / compounds - Yes or No?