Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best value in a track day brake pad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Best value in a track day brake pad?

I'm at that point where I need to step up from street pads to a track pad. I'm not a racer and I'm not too concerned about lap times yet. I'm also on a budget. I'm looking for decent wear and stopping power and value for my money.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:28 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I'm at that point where I need to step up from street pads to a track pad. I'm not a racer and I'm not too concerned about lap times yet. I'm also on a budget. I'm looking for decent wear and stopping power and value for my money.
Hawk HPS pads are good for both options....they do not make noise during street driving..

Hawk HP Plus are a better track pad then the HPS....then did not make noise during daily driving with my vette but they could.....(Hawk states they could)

Anything above that will drive you crazy during street driving due to the noise they create.

I switch back and forth between rotors/pads due to I run aggressive pads at the track....

Personnally I would just get the HP Plus pads....you will see a good difference in braking then the stock pads...the HPS did not seem to be a "big" improvement..

You can get these pads at TireRack reasonable priced

Trapp
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I ran the HP+, as you can imagine with a trackpad very dusty....during street use I'd have to clean the wheels every other day after my 44 mi daily commute...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Legacy Z06
Instructor

No.

HPS is not much more than an oem replacement. HP Plus **IS NOT A TRACK PAD** by any means. Call Hawk if you doubt this. At best its a street pad that can do light lapping. Expect them to fade as soon as you start to push it.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legacy Z06
No.

HPS is not much more than an oem replacement. HP Plus **IS NOT A TRACK PAD** by any means. Call Hawk if you doubt this. At best its a street pad that can do light lapping. Expect them to fade as soon as you start to push it.
I think you just answered his question....He wants a pad that can run at the track......and still run for street use. Yes it not a track pad but you can't run a true track pad on the street...
Old 02-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Legacy Z06
Instructor

True, just wanted to ensure he didn't think Hp+ was a track pad. Probably a better option is a Ferrodo 2500 as a street / light track duty pad.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:45 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Legacy Z06
True, just wanted to ensure he didn't think Hp+ was a track pad. Probably a better option is a Ferrodo 2500 as a street / light track duty pad.
I would pick the HP+ over the DS2500. My experience is that the DS2500 will let go a lot when you overheat it, while the HP+ handles overheating much better.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should've been.

Yes, I want a track pad and I expect to swap out street and track pads as necessary. I'm just looking to get the best pad for the money. I'm not looking to break any track records. I'm not even remotely there yet with my driving.

I went the most economical way to go considering cost, rotor wear, all that stuff.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson

Yes, I want a track pad and I ...

I want the most economical way to go considering cost, rotor wear, all that stuff.
IMO the Raybestos ST43 fits the bill. Tremendous longevity, easy on rotors, lots of friction, great feel, little expensive to buy though.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

PFC's seen to be on the cheap side. Everyone thats used then seems to love them. Ill be using them this season. PFC99's front XP 10 rear
Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 PM
johninar
Drifting

I used HP+ for several years. It is a great track day/ daily driver pad. They do start to chunk when you get down to 1/3rd pad. (lots more heat when they get thin).

Dusty? yep
With NT01 you will run out of tire before you run out of brakes.

I finally got to the point of moving to Wilwoods and I change pads and rotors from street to track. I think the HP+ is a great compromise.
I managed my first 1:29 at Hallet with HP+ and Kumho MXs
Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wilwood H offer great stopping power and very low wear. They are hard on rotors but you can get rotors cheap if you find used C5 blanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Ferodo DS2500 was by FAR the best double duty pad I had.

I now swap out to Carbotech XP12/XP8 for trackdays and run cheapo ceramic(no dusting) pads for daily and autocross stuff.

You spend money on crap pads and overheat them you trashed a set of rotors and you will find some loose teeth in your head along with whatever screws are loose in the car as they will fall out.

Ferodo Ds2500 in an incredible pad.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Given the engine mods you've got, you may want to consider upgrading your brake system. I had the same questions on my C6Z and upgraded to the Wilwood W6A front brake kit. Pad life increased to 2X any OEM replacement track pad and the calipers are very easy to work on. You should check out the Wilwood caliper options for C5.

Jim
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I've ran several different pads and I really like the Raybestos 43s that were mentioned earlier. They last longer than anything else and I like how they feel. I also liked the Carbotech 12s I ran on my C6. There are a lot of good pads out there and at some point it comes down to how you like the pads to feel (initial bite, modulation, release character).
A huge asset is Carbotech's customer response; email Adam and he'll tell you what pad to run.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

To the OP, I will be happy to talk with you we have several diffrent options. I need to know if you want to swap pads for track and street or you want to just leave your pads on. I will say that if you dont want to swap I would use the XP8 front and XP8 rear this will have some noise and dust, but our pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust so, will not harm your wheels or paint. If you are willing to swap than I would use XP10 front and XP8 rear and for street use the 1521. All our compounds are compatiable so all you would need to do is just change pads no bedding no cleaning of rotors just swap pads and go.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
To the OP, I will be happy to talk with you we have several diffrent options. I need to know if you want to swap pads for track and street or you want to just leave your pads on. I will say that if you dont want to swap I would use the XP8 front and XP8 rear this will have some noise and dust, but our pads are extremely rotor friendly and contain 100% non-corrosive brake dust so, will not harm your wheels or paint. If you are willing to swap than I would use XP10 front and XP8 rear and for street use the 1521. All our compounds are compatiable so all you would need to do is just change pads no bedding no cleaning of rotors just swap pads and go.
Very true. I've had excellent results with Carbotech pads whether I leave the race pads in on the street or switch to the 1521s for extended street use. I never have to worry about bedding them between changes or swapping rotors.

Get notified of new replies

To Best value in a track day brake pad?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:56 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Given the engine mods you've got, you may want to consider upgrading your brake system. I had the same questions on my C6Z and upgraded to the Wilwood W6A front brake kit. Pad life increased to 2X any OEM replacement track pad and the calipers are very easy to work on. You should check out the Wilwood caliper options for C5.
Jim, that will be down the road a bit...that nasty "budget" word again.

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I'll definitely call you when I'm ready to go.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 AM
hellrazr
Pro

Originally Posted by Sidney004
IMO the Raybestos ST43 fits the bill. Tremendous longevity, easy on rotors, lots of friction, great feel, little expensive to buy though.
I second this recommendation. They may be expensive, but because of their durability, they are still the best value.

They aren't mentioned as much on this forum because they don't have a marketing team actively promoting, but they are the best out there from what I've tried, in my opinion.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:24 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,464 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004

ST43 lasted me the whole season last year, and they're very rotor friendly. Their bite is incredible, too, even when cold. On EvoX forums, they claim that the ST43s let the rotors last 3x compared to most other pads. Considering all these, it actually becomes one of the cheapest, and they're not too expensive, anyway.

On another note, HPS is not only not a track pad, it SHOULD NEVER BE USED AT THE TRACK. When those pads exceed the service temps, they start fading completely, and you end up risking yourself. In contrast, even though they are not track pads, OEM pads would still hold it just fine at the expense of prematurely wearing itself out.

Quick Reply: Best value in a track day brake pad?