Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have trouble getting alignments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default anyone have trouble getting alignments?

I have one guy in my town that can get my car on a rack and everytime he over charges and gives me crap about it. Why are all these racks designed with a massive steep angle at the start? I really doubt they could get any high end sports car on with that design....

Are you guys doing yours by hand or something? Its getting so annoying to work around my work schedule to get an alignment. Is this a problem where you live? Most places wont even give it a shot getting it on, they just say no.....
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I have one guy in my town that can get my car on a rack and everytime he over charges and gives me crap about it. Why are all these racks designed with a massive steep angle at the start? I really doubt they could get any high end sports car on with that design....

Are you guys doing yours by hand or something? Its getting so annoying to work around my work schedule to get an alignment. Is this a problem where you live? Most places wont even give it a shot getting it on, they just say no.....
Find a friendlier alignment shop, he needs your business, you don't need him.

You need to understand, he is in business to do many quick, close enough, alignments, and really doesn't give a rat's rear end about you or your great Corvette.

Yes you can learn how to diy and as a bonus you will get a better alignment & the one that YOU want & you can change it as your needs change.

There are tons of threads on diy alignment & I have videos on my channel if you would like to see it done, click below.

Search the channel for corvette and scroll for alignment.

Seriously, the satisfaction of doing your own alignment, once I taught myself how, with the help of several guys on this forum, it was really sweet.

There is an investment in some tools & some time to do it all, you've been advised.

Last edited by froggy47; 01-26-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude, you wont believe this but Firestone does a lifetime alignment and will align to the OEM specs or to your own specifications, thats who does mine and I have been very happy with them.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I've found two methods that both work well. 1) Go to a hard core race shop. They do the best job, know how to align, corner weight, etc. Will likely cost ~$400. 2) Visit a couple of the local NTBs in your area and ask their techs about alignments. If they do not track their own cars and don't know what you are talking about, go to the next one. Once you find a shop with a good tech, its ~$140 a pop.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

People who make it difficult to take my money get my middle finger instead.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 AM
RogerT
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment

I take four 24" 2 X 12s to my alignment guy to aid in getting my car on his alignment rack because my car is lowered.

He understands I know what I am talking about and what I want in an alignment and does it my way. He has no objection to me working with him. Cost is $70. Includes before and after print-outs.

Roger T
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

If you have any mechanical ability, consider doing your own. It's not hard to learn, I spent an afternoon playing with camber and toe to figure it out. Before the camber kit I could change settings in 2-3 attempts (1 gross adjust and 1-2 tweake after that). Also, a camber kit helps significantly and makes camber adjustments extremely predictable. I can dial in camber now on the first try every time and make 2 toe adjustments and I'm done.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the dealer do mine a handful of years ago, after learning about alignments and getting the right tools I checked out what they set it to and was surprised at how much of a differential there was between each side. It drove straight but always turned right better then when turning left. Needless to say I do my own alignments now and was shocked at how easy it really is. Anyone who plans on tracking their car should seriously consider learning how to do it, David Farmer's DIY was a huge help.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry you are having trouble getting alignments done. We do a lot of Corvettes, Lotus's, MR2's. BMW's etc. We do charge a little more in some cases, but everyone understands that sometimes it requires a little extra time. Most people have no problem paying a little more to have it down exactly as they want it done. Trust me we never give anybody a hassle about doing there alignment we appreciate the business!

Like others have said try to find someone that appreciates sports cars..

I actually do my car and some other race cars in my home shop on hubstands...
Old 01-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work with a local race shop. They understand how to deal with cranky racers and their nice cars

I get the exact alignment I want each time, he keeps records of what he's done previously so we can always refer back to what works, what doesn't work etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
People who make it difficult to take my money get my middle finger instead.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone have trouble getting alignments?

Quick Reply: anyone have trouble getting alignments?