Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL License, Dually and Triple Axle Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default CDL License, Dually and Triple Axle Trailer

Truck - 11,400 gcwr
Trailer - 18,000 gcwr
The way I understand the NY and DOT rules, a Class A license is needed to operate this combination.

Before I sign up to get my CDL, let me know if I missing some loophole. I can't find anything in the NY State or DOT rules that would exempt me from needing a CDL Class A license to drive a truck & trailer combo rated at greater than 26,001lb.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

WTF are you planning?!?!?!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

A living quarters trailer. Everything has 3 axles, which gets you over the magic 26k lbs when added to the truck"s gvwr. Wife is insisting on the LQ setup and I would love to avoid the hassle of the hotel.

It doesn't matter how loaded the truck and trailer are, it is the rated weight of each that matters.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:33 PM
turnleft
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't even think about going past the first CT state police truck weigh station on 95 leaving NY. No Class "A" license and you are parked. They're not a fun group of people.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ben,
This is a sore subject in different states. Some places let you get away with it as a recreational vehicle or non commercial, and some want to stick it to you. It's so confusing, so your better off just getting your CDL so you dont get parked and fined.

Aaron
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Thanks for confirming.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:47 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have a CDL, won't you have to follow the drive/sleep rules as well?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Hobby exemption in 390.3(f)(3) gets you out of those rules (e.g., log book, physical, drug testing, etc):
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=390.3
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is such thing as a regular class A license - not CDL. At least in NC. I called the DMV and they pretty much explained it is a driving test with your truck and trailer. Should be much easier than a full blown CDL.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Truck - 11,400 gcwr
Trailer - 18,000 gcwr
The way I understand the NY and DOT rules, a Class A license is needed to operate this combination.

Before I sign up to get my CDL, let me know if I missing some loophole. I can't find anything in the NY State or DOT rules that would exempt me from needing a CDL Class A license to drive a truck & trailer combo rated at greater than 26,001lb.

Thanks.
I went thru this a few years ago with my Kenworth W900L and 48 foot lift gate. I talked to every state and got different answers I got my CDL then registered at 60,000 not 80,000 to save money. I then talked to the federal motor carrier people and they said I did not need the CDL because I am the owner of the truck we don't make any money and we drive it occasonally but she also said it would make life easier if I had one should the officer stopping you was not quite aware of the rules ( I had her send me the section and I keep it in the truck). YOU MUST PULLIN TO OPEN WAY SCALES and put in letters large enough to see at 50 ft "PRIVATE NOT FOR HIRE", they most times just wave you thru once they see the "not for hire". One thing You Need TO KNOW in NY if the truck is combined over 26,001 You must fill out a log book if driving in or thru NY state Hobbie or not no log book and they will put you out of service ... We go to the glen once a year.
Living quarters w/ heat and AC are the best we have both the truck and the front 18 feet of the trailer as a lounge. Have fun.
OH By the way CANADA is a whole nother issue.. I will not even think about going with the semi.

Last edited by 555ss; 01-22-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

We went threw this with our Frieghtliner/stacker, it's a mess. A very good friend of mine is a State trooper in the truck inspection division! and could not give me cut and dry answers.
I ended up going with the CDL, we also carry log books when I'm going out of state, and we have been asked to show them.
One inspector gave us a hard time because we did not write "out of service" prior to leaving for the trip in the log book.

It seems to me that the laws are very vague and almost up to the interpretation of the inspecting officer, so having more then what may be necessary is not a bad thing.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Supposedly there is such a thing as a "recreational" class A CDL. Less training, less money, don't know if it works for your states though.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJM
Supposedly there is such a thing as a "recreational" class A CDL. Less training, less money, don't know if it works for your states though.
The issue is that alot of state don't issue rv or motor home plates and In my case they have to give you comm. tags if it registers over 25,000lbs. it really comes down to who stops you because you can say it is recreational and you don't make money but it you have a Company name on the side you are now commercial.... The fun thing is if you have the money for a toterhome you can drive and be over weight and even be over length and it is no issue because it is titled as a motor home.
I was able to get my cdl with out going to the schools just had to drive with a guy who had an A and then take the test at the dvm 3 or 4 tests caue of air brakes, comm, combo, the driving was not too bad but parallel parking to the blind side kinda sucked. the state will give you the book to study and it wasn't that bad. I could have done it right a way with my dullly and 36 foot goose. The Semi on the other hand took a bit of pratice.

Last edited by 555ss; 01-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HideClass definitions

Since April 1, 1992, when this Act became law, all drivers have been required to have a CDL in order to drive a Commercial Motor Vehicle. The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has developed testing standards for licensing drivers. U.S. states are able to issue CDLs only after a written and practical test have been given by the State or approved testing facility.
A driver needs a CDL if the vehicle meets one of the following definitions of a CMV:[5]
Class A truck
Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg).
Class B truck
Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds (11,793 kg), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds (4536 kg) GVWR.
Class C truck
Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for hazardous materials.
A state may also require a driver to have a CDL to operate certain other vehicles legally. A driver licensed in New Jersey must have a CDL to drive legally a bus, limousine, or van that is used for hire, and designed to transport 8 to 15 passengers.[6] A driver licensed in New York must have a CDL to legally transport passengers in school buses and other vehicles listed in Article 19-A of the state's Vehicle and Traffic Law.[7] A driver licensed in California must have a CDL if his primary employment is driving, whether or not you actually drive a commercial vehicle. Basically, California defines a commercial vehicle as one that transports for hire either people or products.[8] And possession of a CDL in California changes the threshold for a Driving Under the Influence citation from 0.08% to 0.04% Blood Alcohol Content (even if he is not using his Commercial privileges at the time of the offense, for example while driving his personally owned vehicle).[9]
Prospective licensees should verify CDL requirements by referencing their state specific CDL Manual.[10]
The minimum age to apply for a CDL is usually 21, as required by the United States Department of Transportation, although some states allow drivers who are 18 to 20 to apply for a CDL that is valid only within the driver's state of residence. A single state CDL only restricts driving of CMVs within the holder's state (not non-commercial vehicles), and automatically converts to a 50 state CDL at the age of 21.[citation needed]
Close this section

I am a class a cdl holder, - does your truck/ rv have air brakes and if not I wonder if you can skip that cert. that could save you time and money

Last edited by sleeperstyle; 01-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To CDL License, Dually and Triple Axle Trailer

Quick Reply: CDL License, Dually and Triple Axle Trailer