Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotor question

Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Brake rotor question

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,1896

Anyone had any experience with rotors from this place? If so how well do they hold up? I'm looking for cheap street/track rotors.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have used Raybestos Advanced Technology" rotors on my 87 (C5 brake upgrade in front and stock sixe in rear) for both autocross and track days. Good price and they have held up very well. Good company to deal with and good prices.

Centric makes a good rotor too. What specific brand and part # were you looking at?
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have bought Centric, just don't get holes.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:12 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I have used Raybestos Advanced Technology" rotors on my 87 (C5 brake upgrade in front and stock sixe in rear) for both autocross and track days. Good price and they have held up very well. Good company to deal with and good prices.

Centric makes a good rotor too. What specific brand and part # were you looking at?
I was looking at these: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...873&cc=1410411

and these:http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...882&cc=1410411
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nassaubluecoupe
I currently have the Raybestos rotors (your second link) on my 2002 Coupe and have only run them for 2 days at Road America last summer. So far so good. This is my first time with these so don't have a lot of experience with them.
I've run these Centric rotors from Rock Auto in the past with success. The last time a ran them I got 7-8 events out of them (1-2 days per event). http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...778&cc=1380024

I decided to try the Raybestos, because they are bit cheaper and I've seen that others have had good luck with them.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

When you have over 4 dozen cracked rotors in your back yard from tracking (seriously) you will realize that a good 2pc. is the only way to fly. It saves money from down time of replacing rotor with another less than perfect rotor as the paid track day slips away from you while your car is on jack stands. Not to mention the sweat equity saved. Anyone want to buy 4 dozen cracked rotors?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
When you have over 4 dozen cracked rotors in your back yard from tracking (seriously) you will realize that a good 2pc. is the only way to fly. It saves money from down time of replacing rotor with another less than perfect rotor as the paid track day slips away from you while your car is on jack stands. Not to mention the sweat equity saved. Anyone want to buy 4 dozen cracked rotors?
They should be worth at least a few cents per pound at your local recycler. I've only got about 6 or 7 cracked ones and need to make a run to my local recycle place.

Are you saying the 2 piece never crack? I guess you get a lot of track time before they're down to minimum thickness.

It takes me hardly any time at all to swap on a new rotor.

If you run 2 piece rotors and you do have a problem, unless you have a second set ready to go, swapping a new ring onto your hub can take quite a bit longer than just swapping a new rotor on - whether it's a one piece or second 2 piece that's already mounted on the hub.

I've always just run one piece rotors, but I guess one of these days I'll switch to some 2 piecers.

Bob
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
They should be worth at least a few cents per pound at your local recycler. I've only got about 6 or 7 cracked ones and need to make a run to my local recycle place.

Are you saying the 2 piece never crack? I guess you get a lot of track time before they're down to minimum thickness.

It takes me hardly any time at all to swap on a new rotor.

If you run 2 piece rotors and you do have a problem, unless you have a second set ready to go, swapping a new ring onto your hub can take quite a bit longer than just swapping a new rotor on - whether it's a one piece or second 2 piece that's already mounted on the hub.

I've always just run one piece rotors, but I guess one of these days I'll switch to some 2 piecers.

Bob
Bob, one of the worst things on rotors is the fixed center when they get hot they expand and the center doesen't so they don't flex evenly kind ofbowl shaped. that is where a lot of the bad craks come from when the center is a hat they can float so yes there is a whole lot less cracking with a two piece
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have blanks from brakemotive. They are cheap and I run them on track with street tires though. The slotted ones crack pretty fast for me so I stick with blanks on track and switch out to slotted on street with ceramic pads. Two piece are just too much investment for my occassional de in the vette. I would think get cooling ducts and you will last at least 4 days with a good blank. To me thats like an average of like 5 bucks a day a rotor. Run them till they crack then carry spares.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

........:
The 2 pc. will crack, eventually. But I got over two to three dozen track days out of my last rings before replacing them. I found a really aggressive pad, such as DTC 70's, are hard on rotors but with the 2pc. from Hardbar I don't worry about them now. I find the brake pedal much firmer and more positive with the floating design, too. As far as the 1pc. I do keep a set in the truck in case something happens to the 2pc. I can always change out the rings when I get back home should something happen.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
I have blanks from brakemotive. They are cheap and I run them on track with street tires though. The slotted ones crack pretty fast for me so I stick with blanks on track and switch out to slotted on street with ceramic pads. Two piece are just too much investment for my occassional de in the vette. I would think get cooling ducts and you will last at least 4 days with a good blank. To me thats like an average of like 5 bucks a day a rotor. Run them till they crack then carry spares.
I ended up ordering a set of the blanks from brakemotive. I'm just doing a few DE events right now, so they should work fine. What kind of cooling ducts do you guys recommend and are they ok for daily driving? My car is a daily driver, with occasional track use.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake rotor question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake rotor question