Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

Danny Kellermeyer made my rear sway bar adjustable. I can now tune the bar to the various tracks I run. Here's my blog post that explains all of what was involved. I also threw in a little sway bar theory.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been interested in trying this with one of my spare sway bars...

Did he cut the old tab off and just weld in the new? Did this modification require heat treating?

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

He didn't heat treat it. He does use a jig though to make sure everything is properly aligned. Then we have the bushings. I'm not sure what they're from. He's very precise about how it's all done.

Richard
Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a similar mod to my 26 mm solid bar, but I only have one additional hole for a stiffer setting. It is far to stiff even when using my 32 mm front bar, so I stick to the stock setting. Since you use a 24 bar, the settings will work better than mine.

If I did it over, I would do a round bar with a slide clamp that gives a larger range of adjustment. I had this on my 1970 Z28 Camaro.

Nice pic of your car hauling. I assume its at Sebring.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

That's Sebring - before the stiff springs and the adjustable rear bar.

I have the slider arrangement on my 911. I'm not sure it's any better really. The holes are only about an inch apart on the '85. I'm not sure I could tell the difference if I only moved the bar a half inch.

The old 911 Porsche had a factory bar (racing only) that had about 6 holes in it but then again the arm is about 18-inches long.

My old 911 is easy to adjust. I just have someone watch me in a corner and then tell me how far my inside front wheel is off the ground. I adjust the bar so I'm only getting about one or two inches off the ground. Can't do that with a Corvette. Then again if you look at the picture I am getting the tire almost off the ground.

Richard Newton

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable Rear Sway Bar

Quick Reply: Adjustable Rear Sway Bar