Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

World Challenge/ALMS GT2 Progression steps

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM
nskyline34
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default World Challenge/ALMS GT2 Progression steps

Hey guys, Just looking for some guidance and direction. I've finally graduated and I'm ready to start racing. I have aspirations to get to something like world challenge or ALMS GT2 racing with a 'vette. I know I need to start low so that's why I'm here. I'm not 100% sure what the path is to get there. I have a reasonable racing background for someone who's only 23 and has been going to school full time. I've raced 125 shifters for a few year, motocross for 20, have been involved with off road baja racing and even on a land speed record team. Now that I can afford it I'm ready to get serious about reaching my dream of racing corvettes at a high level.

I am hoping that someone on here can give me the correct progression there? or a basic progression since there is no one true path. This is what I'm thinking:

This year 2013: Go to a racing school and get a couple track days in/autocross sessions (going to keep it low key because my gf and I are buying a house around june/july time). And acquire the basics of the racing gear.

2014: Go to Portland raceway and take their 3 day racing school and get my competition license. Start getting into spec miata racing just by renting. go to ~4 miata races and get some private lessons (uncle is a racing instructor) a couple times. During this year I will also acquire a race car trailer too and the rest of my gear, Hans, suit, etc.

2015: I was thinking about a T1/ST2 corvette or something of the like to get going faster. again, continuing the lessons on open track days and then also racing in the PNW as much as possible.

2016: Continue above.

Is this the correct start to the progression? should I even consider spec miata?? Just feeling lost. I was thinking spec miata because it will teach to go fast with little power and how to best carry momentum.

Also what happens after T1/ST2 to get there? what's intermidiate step? GT3 or do I just cough up a large lump some and buy a GT1 car or world challenge car?

Also in how do you get sponsorships in the auto racing world. I know the motocross world in and out but this is new to me? What are the driver incentives typically??

Can you guys kinda help me with how this works please???

This is what I'm thinkin...
http://www.lgmotorsports.com/product...oducts_id=2174

Last edited by nskyline34; 01-20-2013 at 02:57 AM.

Quick Reply: World Challenge/ALMS GT2 Progression steps