Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat rails----help needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat rails----help needed

I have a 09z. I have the sparco evo 2+ seats driver and passenger. I had just got 2 sets of the Hardbar seat rails and I think they are well made quality pieces but do not allow my seats to sit low enough therefore I can not move them as far back as I like either. Car has a 6 point cage so the tops of the seats are on the main hoop.

Any suggestions?? Any other companies make rails for this that will allow me to sit lower? I'm not looking for sliding rails. Fixed position is what I need.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Pretty sure Hardbar seat rails get the seats just about as low as you can get them. Isn't the seat pretty much touching the floor?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Pretty sure Hardbar seat rails get the seats just about as low as you can get them. Isn't the seat pretty much touching the floor?
My Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats mounted on Hardbar rails are 1/4" off the floor.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
No there is about 1-1/2" of room. Can't get it lower though because of the side brackets
Old 01-19-2013, 09:40 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
My Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats mounted on Hardbar rails are 1/4" off the floor.

Wth! Am I doing something wrong then or is it just with my seats?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

This is exactly my problem. On the inside, the bottom of the seat is sitting on top of the side rails therefore can not lower it any more.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

I will post a photo of how my seats are mounted in the rails tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I will post a photo of how my seats are mounted in the rails tomorrow.

Thanks. I really appreciate any and all help. Really can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. And after taking them in and out 10+ times I got fed up and said they are fine. But they aren't.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Here's where data trumps my memory every time. I forgot I had to clear the seat belt anchors, so my seat is sitting on top of the rail as well. If you want to trust my memory a second time, I think I had to mount it that way so that I could get it more inboard as well. Otherwise the shoulder wings wouldn't clear the door (I still have all the door panels and drive this as a daily driver).

In the second photo you can see how far back my seats are and how high they are. They could go back a little more until they touch the harness bar, but the farther back you go the less height you have due to the sloping roof line.

Probably no help, other than maybe confirming your problem.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

If you have enough lateral room, you can mount the seats like the last photo in these instructions: http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/seat%20railv1%206(1).pdf

This is how I incorrectly remembered my seat being mounted ...
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

Mine are pretty much like yours. And I can not mount like the last pic in instructions because that pushed the rails out too far not allowing me to bolt them in car.

Any other nice seat rails available?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

The hardbar rails worked for me because I could mount the seat inside the floor rails. My seat is almost on the floor. I also used eye bolts for the sub anchor attachment points so the belt anchors could be laid flat on the floor. Before I had the hardbar rails, I made a custom seat mount by modifying a sparco slider assembly combined with some angle iron. A little bit of drilling and welding was required, but my seat was also sitting very low with that setup.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FamousRR
Thanks for taking the time to post pics.

Mine are pretty much like yours. And I can not mount like the last pic in instructions because that pushed the rails out too far not allowing me to bolt them in car.

Any other nice seat rails available?
I have my seats mounted INSIDE the rails. I did have to use a Dremel tool to enlarge one or two slots on the bottom of the seat rails to allow the hardbar rails sit flat on the floor. I also had to play with the thickness of washers between the seat and the uprights to get the right distance between mounting slots. My stock seat mounting studs were not square nor were they an equal distance apart so that made it a little more annoying. Lap belt mounting points are on the OUTSIDE of the seat rails and the sub belt mounting points are on the BOTTOM of the seat rail a couple inches in front of the slots that the stud extenders go through (had to drill a hole). There is a relief in the floorpan that will allow you to mount the sub belts to the bottom of the seat rail. My seats are Sparco Rev Plus and Corbeau FX1 Pro with 6 point belts in a C6Z. Seats are about 3/4" off the floor but could go lower if I wanted them to. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phipp85
I have my seats mounted INSIDE the rails. I did have to use a Dremel tool to enlarge one or two slots on the bottom of the seat rails to allow the hardbar rails sit flat on the floor. I also had to play with the thickness of washers between the seat and the uprights to get the right distance between mounting slots. My stock seat mounting studs were not square nor were they an equal distance apart so that made it a little more annoying. Lap belt mounting points are on the OUTSIDE of the seat rails and the sub belt mounting points are on the BOTTOM of the seat rail a couple inches in front of the slots that the stud extenders go through (had to drill a hole). There is a relief in the floorpan that will allow you to mount the sub belts to the bottom of the seat rail. My seats are Sparco Rev Plus and Corbeau FX1 Pro with 6 point belts in a C6Z. Seats are about 3/4" off the floor but could go lower if I wanted them to. Hope this helps.
After reading this, I'm confused
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Go to the link in post 10 that naschmitz posted.

The picture next to letter L in the instructions is how my seat is mounted. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That is exactly how my seat is mounted also. Uprights on the outside. But as even you can see in that pic, the bottom of the seat is touching the side rails therefore not allowing you to go any lower.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:24 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

I'm sorry. I mean't to say just like the picture except with the uprights on the inside.

Get notified of new replies

To Seat rails----help needed

Old 01-20-2013, 05:27 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok that makes sense then. See with the sparco evo2 plus you can't do that. Seat is wider so it ends up being too wide and not allow you to get in the car and bolt down.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:37 PM
FamousRR
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

After looking at this some more, I think I'm basically stuck with the position I'm in due to my seats. Any one know of any other seat rails?
Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Too wide as in the seat itself won't fit in the car or the seat rail holes won't go over the studs? My seats aren't as wide as yours but I have quite a bit of spacers between the uprights and the seat body.

Quick Reply: Seat rails----help needed