Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
CL02Z06
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to HPDE

Ok so I'm going to my first HPDE at Texas World Speedway in March And I'm looking for advice. Car is a C5Z that is basic bolt ons and a stage 3 clutch. I have no illusion that I'm going to outdrive my car Is it worth it to go ahead and buy a pad like the Hawks blue or will a stock pad work? I'm changing out my fluid to Motul 600 and new Napa blank rotors already.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to get the new pads. TWS has a nice long straight and you will not be able to help yourself...you will push it on the straight. As such, you'll need something to get the car slowed. The rest of the track is pretty easy on brakes. With new pads and rotors, make sure you bed them properly.

I'll be there as well and I also have a C5 Z06 with stock LS6. I'm going on close to 2 years doing this and I still can't out drive the car. You'll realize quickly that the first thing you'll want to sink your money into is seat time, safety and brakes. That alone can chew up a chunk of cash very quickly and on a regular basis.

Jay

Last edited by crease-guard; 01-17-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I think you're going to find out that the consensus of the guys and gals on this forum will be that you should not do any performance mods until you learn to drive the cat at the next level. You should prepare the car for the rigors of HPDE: good pads, fresh brake fluid (DOT 4), clean the radiator, good street tires (decent tread and not rock hard w/age). The rest of mods are all for the driver: listen, learn, and look ahead.

Welcome to the affliction - enjoy!!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would get neoprene thigh wraps a size small and put them around your knees. It helps prevent bruising and makes the driving day a lot more comfortable.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Stock pads won't take the heat of a track like that. Get aftermarket track pads. I am quite happy with carbotech.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

If you like it............. the first thing to get is cooling ducts & spindle holders for front brake cooling. they will more than pay for themselves in pads and rotors not to mention the feeling of knowing your brakes are good
Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

You should look for cooling ducts and go with a propper pad. You should use Carbotech XP10 front and Carbotech XP8 rear. I will be happy to help you give me a call at 216-780-8825.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're running with the stock seat, you should look into a set of Angel Pads. They'll keep you planted in the seat through the high-g corners. No need for knee pads.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

A lot of good suggestions here. Since it is your first HPDE, get the better track pads and be sure to break them in with your new rotors before you get to the track. There should be instructions with the pads. Don't worry about doing too much more at this point. You won't like the stock seat as you progress with more events but you will be just fine for now. Your arms may get a little tired as you hold yourself in the seat with the steering wheel but no big deal really. Use the cinch up ratchet on the belt system. The classroom will cover track basics and the instructor on track will show you all you will need to know to be safe, fast and have fun. If there were to be only one instruction for the whole day it would be LOOK FAR AHEAD ...... ALWAYS.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be there too. It will be my first HPDE in my new to me C5Z. So far I've put on SS brake lines, put in Motul 600, and will put new pads and rotors on before as well. Also got some Angel Pads for X-mas, can't wait to try them out! Hope to see you there.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
A lot of good suggestions here. Since it is your first HPDE, get the better track pads and be sure to break them in with your new rotors before you get to the track. There should be instructions with the pads. Don't worry about doing too much more at this point. You won't like the stock seat as you progress with more events but you will be just fine for now. Your arms may get a little tired as you hold yourself in the seat with the steering wheel but no big deal really. Use the cinch up ratchet on the belt system. The classroom will cover track basics and the instructor on track will show you all you will need to know to be safe, fast and have fun. If there were to be only one instruction for the whole day it would be LOOK FAR AHEAD ...... ALWAYS.
Learn how to Cinch the stock lap and shoulder belt so tight you can hardly move in the seat. That will do a lot for making it easier to drive the car. If you do it right the lap belt will feel like it is cutting you in two before you pull away from your parking spot and the shoulder belt will latch tight as soon as you move the car forward quickly. I can get the stock belts tight enough that after an intense autocross run I have to release the seat belt so I can breathe. First thing to do is to determine your driving position. Get the seat positioned so when you have your back against the seat and you reach out with your hands you can drape your wrists across the top of the steering wheel. Lock that position in your seat memory. Then run the seat all the way to the rear, pull the seat belt all the way out until it hits a hard stop (this puts it in cinch mode), fasten the belt and while using your legs to shove your self as far back in the seat as possible use your hands to force as much lap belt slack as possible into the take up reel on the door sill. When you have the belt tight as you can get it across your hips (not across your abdomen) then hit the memory button to go to your driving position. If you got the belt tight enough you will feel it get very tight and maybe feel some pain. Pain is good as that means the belt is almost tight enough.

A pad that covers the left knee will help with protecting the outside of your knee from the speaker grille.

Bill
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Make sure you talk to the people at Carbotech. They have a variety of pads and they can help you select the one that's appropriate for you. Don't just buy online.

You can also ask them about the best brake fluid for your situation.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

My list for now would be:

Brake pads (such as carbotech xp10/xp8 setup, but that depends on your tires)
Motul 600 brake fluid and rotors, which you are already doing.

I use Angel Pads and they work great. I'd be hesitant to invest in these when it is only your first HPDE. If you get the bug and think you will go regularly, they are worth the investment.

Bill and SouthernSon also give very good suggestions.

Make sure this is for you before you plow money in to your car. Brakes and safety first. Everything else comes later.

Your instructor will look for control, then consistency. Cadence comes with time and practice. Have fun and welcome to the addiction!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default suggestions

Replace the brake fluid. good flush. For the first time or two, a good brand, but just fresh is probably OK.
Make sure your tires are not too old.
Better brake pads, something like HAWK HP+ are Ok to start.
Get a comfortable helmet. Some brands are better for round heads some better for flatter heads.
Wear cotton clothes.
Get some GRIP-IT shelf liner it is the perforated rubbery shelf liner stuff. put a 18" square piece on your seat and sit on it. You will be amazed how well you stick in the seat. A cheap ($3) race seat alternative that will keep you from sliding around.
Ears switched on, mouth switched off.
Learn passing zones and protocol and be generous with point bys. You will earn more friends that way.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:14 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't put those new rotors on right before the event. Put them on now and drive them on the street for a bit to put them through some heat cycles. Or better yet, if your current rotors are not showing any wear, leave them on and just change the pads. Rotors need to be seasoned, they need to be broken in. Going straight from a box to a track event will shock them and they'll either crack or just won't last very long after that. Being your first event you may not push them very hard anyway. Of course I've never been to that track and a post above indicated a long straight that will likely task your brakes.

Get notified of new replies

To New to HPDE

Quick Reply: New to HPDE