Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for road race wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:09 PM
jhoski
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for road race wheels

I'm preparing a C4 for road racing this year and need some sources for road race wheels.
Rules limit us to the 17 by 9.5 size and my chassis is a 1987.
Anyone know where to get the late year size wheel with the early year offset?
Or does everyone use long studs and spacers?
Thanks, Jay
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought mine from DOCZ- 1st Rate Corvette Parts & Acc.

They have the 5-spoke ZR-1 style wheels in early offset. Great prices.

I use them on my track car with no issues.

I do know that the tires may have to be mounted from the backside, so keep that in mind if you get them and go to have tires mounted.

http://www.1stratecorvetteparts.com/...on_Wheels.html

2nd wheel from the bottom would probably be what you are looking for.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You want the 34mm offset not the 52mm
ZR-1 wheels will work also
Im going with longer studs next year . Just want a few more threads on the lugs .

Where are you racing ? DOT or race tire ?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM
jhoski
5th Gear

Thanks for the help.
I race with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs which run on tracks around Chicago, mostly Blackhawk, but we go to Road America and Autobahn as well.

I am prepping for ITGT which requires DOT tires. I've been happy with Hoosiers on my other DOT cars.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:21 AM
jhoski
5th Gear

The ZR1 style wheels you pointed out look good. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
cdbmathews
Instructor

Good quality racing rim at an affordable price, http://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelsf14.php
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the zr1 17 x 11's all around on mine. I have bought several of these replicas used, some from forum sellers, you will just need to make sure you get the 34 mm offsets as most are going to be the late model offset as said above. Start watching here and craiglist and soon you too will have sevweral sets, beacuase you will need rains (4), practice set (4), race set (4) and maybe autocross set (4) ! And then you have to fibd where to store all those wheels and tires! Good luck and PM me if you need any advice on the build.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhoski
Thanks for the help.
I race with Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs which run on tracks around Chicago, mostly Blackhawk, but we go to Road America and Autobahn as well.

I am prepping for ITGT which requires DOT tires. I've been happy with Hoosiers on my other DOT cars.
Have I seen your car out there before ? We lost a C4 racer last year due to an illness , I have Phlis C4 that last ran in 03 .

Pm me if you need some parts . You never know what I have laying around here .
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdbmathews
Good quality racing rim at an affordable price, http://www.forgestar.com/v2/wheelsf14.php
Those are rotary forged and not appropriate for track use. If you want to be safe, spend the money for traditionally forged wheels - CCW, Forgeline, Finspeed.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All wheels break, including fancy forged.
People have been using rotary forged wheels for track use for a long time with good results.
People have also been using spin cast wheels on the track for a very long time with good results.
What is important is the load rating and design of the wheels. There is an SAE testing procedure that will give you an idea of whether the wheels are "safe" for your intended use. The better manufacturers will have this info available. I am not sure if any of the "safe" mfgs listed have submitted their wheels for testing.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
All wheels break, including fancy forged.
People have been using rotary forged wheels for track use for a long time with good results.
People have also been using spin cast wheels on the track for a very long time with good results.
What is important is the load rating and design of the wheels. There is an SAE testing procedure that will give you an idea of whether the wheels are "safe" for your intended use. The better manufacturers will have this info available. I am not sure if any of the "safe" mfgs listed have submitted their wheels for testing.
Well, you can be sure we do. Every wheel we make has FEA simulation testing done by dedicated analysis software (not an add-on to a cad program) that is much more advanced than anything anyone in the industry is using. In fact, we have one engineer that is dedicated to load testing.
Once we are satisfied with the model, prototypes are cut and sent to Standard Testing Labs in Massillon, OH for physical testing. They are tested to the SAEJ328 standard, when that test is finished the load is increased and the test is repeated. This process is repeated until failure.
Not only do we test every wheel style, but every size in that style. We also test competitors wheels and the "safe" manufacturers consistently perform at very high levels - unlike others.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there a reason you prefer the J328 test to the J2530 test?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for road race wheels

Quick Reply: Looking for road race wheels