Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas powered scooter for track days: Anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Gas powered scooter for track days: Anyone have one?

I see guys using them frequently at the track and I've been considering getting one because I'm tired of walking everywhere. I've considered a small bicycle too but these are even smaller and much quicker and lighter.

So I was wondering is anyone using those stand-up gas scooters? If so, what do you have? What's a good one?

I was looking at this.

http://www.scootercrew.com/khxc/inde...65-gas-scooter

I'm not looking for anything real fancy, just something I can throw on the back of my little tire trailer and be able to get around quickly.

thanks!

J

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 01-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Maynor29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a mid-80s Honda Spree. Weighs all of 80 lbs if that so its easy to pickup and load. 2-cycle single cylinder with an automatic oil injection setup. Oil tank lasts 40 fill-ups or better. Electric start and easy to get around on. Took a while to find on Craiglist but got it dirt cheap too.

John
Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

About 10 years ago I bought a Moby BladeZ for my kid to run around the neighborhood, and he didn't use it much. I started taking it to events since it was a lot easier to pack than a bike.

This scooter weighs about 35 pounds and the handle folds down. I put in the back of the C5z along with my toolbox, jack, tire tank, cooler, and other stuff, only the tires are on the tire trailer. You get the idea. It's small and after you put it in the back with the handle folded down it takes up almost no room at all.

I'm a big believer in keeping stuff out of sight if you are at a hotel for the night, and this fits the bill.

I picked the Moby out because it didn't use pin drive or a belt for the final drive, it has a chain and a centrifugal clutch, and uses a belt for the first stage reduction, the system for folding the handle was really robust, it had aluminum wheels... Compared to a lot of other small scooters it seemed well made and not a piece of junk.

Since I bought it for a 11 year old kid, I wasn't worried about power. This is a 23cc version. Sometimes I think it would be better if it had more power, but actually it does just fine and I weigh almost 200 lbs. The motor is a Tanaka, it has been bullet proof.

This has pretty small tires, if you are going in gravel or soft surfaces it probably isn't the right thing, but I haven't used it on rough surfaces much.

As for life, the thing has required no maintenance, other than draining the fuel at the end of each season. None. Can't ask for much more.

If I was doing it from scratch I might think about the 35cc version since it would have more power and has 10 inch tires instead of the 6 inch ones on my smaller scooter, but that's probably all.

Mine was around $450 back then, and they still seem to be about that much for a good scooter, the 35cc version is about $600.

I see scooters at Sam's for around $320, but I have no idea if they are decent or not.

Last edited by Solofast; 01-11-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt it would pass tech.... wouldnt put down the best lap times even if it did....

Get notified of new replies

To Gas powered scooter for track days: Anyone have one?

Quick Reply: Gas powered scooter for track days: Anyone have one?