Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Johnny O'Connell driving my C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 AM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Johnny O'Connell driving my C5Z

Got home a few hours ago from the first "Corvettes at Bondurant" event. It was 2 days of hanging out with some of the coolest people you've ever met. From the staff at Bondurant, Bob Bondurant and his wife, Johnny O'Connell, Doug Fehan and Darren Law, Aaron Pfadt, his wife and their friend Kevin. To the other drivers it was just fun times. I went up to Johnny and said hey you mind driving my Vette around the track and he said heck yeah lets do this. Below is the video of his magic. I want to thank everyone that made this even possible from the Bondurant team, Corvette racing, Pfadt team, and all the corvette guys that showed up making it a successful event.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:18 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Sounds like you had a great time, glad to hear it.

It would be interesting to have been in the car with him in the drivers seat. To see his line around the track, how far ahead he is looking at a given point, his shift points, braking points, turn in points, where he apexes and so on.

At one point in my life, I would have paid good money to get training from him while he was in my passenger seat. It would be a great way to bring up confidence, speed, learn a racing line as well as working on all the points listed above.

Not only did you have a great experience, it would be a great thing to bring up when people approach your car to envy it
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heck of an experience you had there!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Very cool. I saw some of you guys Saturday morning; I was headed to the East track with ProAutoSports and I saw 3 or 4 vettes pulled over looking a bit lost. I had the vette on the trailer so I couldn't pull over but figured you guys would see the gate I went in...but you never showed and now I know why!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:22 AM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sweet video. He sure knows how to make a car go Too bad you weren't along for the ride. That would have been cool. Did you get him to autograph anything on the car?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
heypal
Pro

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Sounds like you had a great time, glad to hear it.

It would be interesting to have been in the car with him in the drivers seat. To see his line around the track, how far ahead he is looking at a given point, his shift points, braking points, turn in points, where he apexes and so on.

At one point in my life, I would have paid good money to get training from him while he was in my passenger seat. It would be a great way to bring up confidence, speed, learn a racing line as well as working on all the points listed above.

Not only did you have a great experience, it would be a great thing to bring up when people approach your car to envy it
Johnny is the man I wanted him to do some clean laps and give me honest feed back on how I set up the car. He did and it was awesome.

Originally Posted by braknl8
Heck of an experience you had there!
Oh it was, the whole weekend was awesome.

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Very cool. I saw some of you guys Saturday morning; I was headed to the East track with ProAutoSports and I saw 3 or 4 vettes pulled over looking a bit lost. I had the vette on the trailer so I couldn't pull over but figured you guys would see the gate I went in...but you never showed and now I know why!
Red corvette towed by an x5 I think it was???If so you got me lost hahahhah. I followed that trailer because he was following a c6 and I figured follow the corvettes ahhaha. It was a good time man.

Originally Posted by YYZ06
Sweet video. He sure knows how to make a car go Too bad you weren't along for the ride. That would have been cool. Did you get him to autograph anything on the car?
I could have if I wanted to but I wanted him to do his thing not worry about how I'm doing just go out there and take care of the business. I've watched the video 20 or so times so far just to see what he was doing where he was looking. Just all around breaking it down and comparing it to what I did on the track. I didn't have him Autograph anything but next year I will if they do it again.

Thanks all it was a crazy fun experience.

Last edited by heypal; 12-11-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not have been able to sit on the sidelines for that. but I get what you're saying. I never rode along with a pro, but I have been with some very fast, to me anyway, instructors and when I get out of the car I can't stop smiling and laughing. it's like I'm high.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking Johnny had things about ready for a hot lap..when he pulled into pits. I would have had a hard time doing that.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Cool video! I've spent a lot of time in the 2nd seat with Johnny while we were doing development work on his Signature line. It's a real pleasure to ride with a pro.

Bondurant sure put on a great event. I saw a whole lot of smiles on people's faces all weekend. The event was very low key and friendly. It really felt like you got to hang out with Bob, Johnny O, and the rest of the Bondurant crew.

I even got a chance to hang with Elvis when he was't driving his vette during the open lapping portion. That's Mike B and myself chatting with the King.

Hope to see more of you next year. It's a don't miss event.

Aaron
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you should have gotten the team to sign your dash

Cool video.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron Pfadt
Cool video! I've spent a lot of time in the 2nd seat with Johnny while we were doing development work on his Signature line. It's a real pleasure to ride with a pro.

Bondurant sure put on a great event. I saw a whole lot of smiles on people's faces all weekend. The event was very low key and friendly. It really felt like you got to hang out with Bob, Johnny O, and the rest of the Bondurant crew.

I even got a chance to hang with Elvis when he was't driving his vette during the open lapping portion. That's Mike B and myself chatting with the King.

Aaron
I'm still waiting on my coilovers...lol

It was an awesome weekend...with great people

Last edited by sallen619; 12-14-2012 at 01:56 AM. Reason: add sig
Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Aaron Pfadt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sallen619

It was great to meet you Steve! Hopefully we'll meet at another event in the near future. You should plan a trip up to Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake for a NASA event this summer. It's an epic track to drive and I hear there are some cool people to hang out with in Salt Lake.

-Aaron
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM
heypal
Pro

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
I was thinking Johnny had things about ready for a hot lap..when he pulled into pits. I would have had a hard time doing that.
He took her around for a bit but he had to come in because it was time to take people on some hot laps.

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
I would not have been able to sit on the sidelines for that. but I get what you're saying. I never rode along with a pro, but I have been with some very fast, to me anyway, instructors and when I get out of the car I can't stop smiling and laughing. it's like I'm high.
I really don't like riding with people, I'll do it and watch but I love to get out there and just do what I do. I'm a weirdo I know.

Aaron
Elvis(Mike) was halarious, and Mike B's z06 was amazing and he is cool people. I had fun following you and him in the car and I did want to pass a few time . I have to say my car did well even with the clutch pedal problems. Aaron it was great meeting you Blair and Kevin.

Originally Posted by el es tu
you should have gotten the team to sign your dash

Cool video.

Thanks bro yeah next year I'll have them sign a valve cover or something.

NO COILOVERS FOR YOU STEVE. LOL it was a great weekend man cars did amazing and drove home, and got to hang out with great people. Its a win win.

It was great to meet you Steve! Hopefully we'll meet at another event in the near future. You should plan a trip up to Miller Motorsports Park in Salt Lake for a NASA event this summer. It's an epic track to drive and I hear there are some cool people to hang out with in Salt Lake.

-Aaron

What the heck Aaron where's my invite haha, Steve if you're down to go so am I. Now I just have to get some Pfadt stuff on my car so I can sport a decal
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by heypal

NO COILOVERS FOR YOU STEVE. LOL it was a great weekend man cars did amazing and drove home, and got to hang out with great people. Its a win win.

What the heck Aaron where's my invite haha, Steve if you're down to go so am I. Now I just have to get some Pfadt stuff on my car so I can sport a decal
I'm down!

I need something to help keep up with you!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
heypal
Pro

I'm down!

I need something to help keep up with you!
Look what you did Aaron now you have some Cali boys coming to bug you in the summer. Looks like I'm going to need help keeping up with you bro lol.

Get notified of new replies

To Johnny O'Connell driving my C5Z

Quick Reply: Johnny O'Connell driving my C5Z