Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternating DD and track pad usage? Any braking issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Default Alternating DD and track pad usage? Any braking issues?

Curious about something. A while back I changed pad compound on my car (Wilwood rotors and pads) to get a bit better bite during track days. The brake grip is noticeably better now, but the additional rotor wear is very noticeable too. Is there any rotor surface coefficient/compatibility issues with putting the old (rotor friendly) pads in for street driving and swapping in the higher cf pads for track days? I would guess that after a couple track laps the rotor surface would be scrubbed clean of the street compound but I thought I'd post the question here for some input.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've never liked bedding brakes because there's just no good place around here to do this operation so I just swapped the pads and rotors between track and street and used the street rotors as spares for the track.

If this is unacceptable, perhaps Wilwood has a street pad that is compatible with your Wilwood track pads.

Jim
Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I've never liked bedding brakes because there's just no good place around here to do this operation so I just swapped the pads and rotors between track and street and used the street rotors as spares for the track.

If this is unacceptable, perhaps Wilwood has a street pad that is compatible with your Wilwood track pads.

Jim
The previous set of Wilwood pads (the daily driver set) have had several track day cycles on them and still have a fair amount of thickness left, so I'd like to use them up.
In addition to any input here I might give the Wilwood techline a call and see what they have to say.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
The previous set of Wilwood pads (the daily driver set) have had several track day cycles on them and still have a fair amount of thickness left, so I'd like to use them up.
In addition to any input here I might give the Wilwood techline a call and see what they have to say.
Are the Wilwoods track or street pads? Are these for the '69 Vette? I used to have a '69 but don't remember the brake system details. BTW, I also have a chainsaw & guns

Jim
Old 12-10-2012, 04:25 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have read hat most companies that make street and track pads use compatible compounds. Carbotech does for sure and I would be willing to bet that the Wilwood compounds are the same.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

compatible street pads are few and far inbetween. But there are a few out there.

Carbotech pads, X10 / XP8 may be a good option.

Remember, they may still squeak with low heat slow stops on the street, and you may need to brake a little sooner on the road course, do less friction then race pads.

I use Wilwood H on the track, but for street driving the squeak and grind the rotors.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:53 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Ideally swapping pads AND rotors at one time will give you the best results as the transfer layers remain in tact. In fact you can 'pound on them' right out of the gate if you kept track of the pad locations etc when doing the swap.

Most folks just swap pads. That's ok so long as the friction materials are "friendly" with one another. Wilwood's Polymatrix pads and their steet line BP series seem to do quite well in that regard. Note however that the true track pads (A,H,B etc) are just not street pads and will eat up rotors in no time when cold.

I'd be cautious doing brand swaps. Some material (PFC in particular) are not compatible with other pads. Their carbon content creates a slippery surface on the rotor for other pads to try and get a hold of. They don't and slide right over...not good. In this case second rotors or a good cleaning would be needed before the swap. At that point the rotor swap is much easier, or save a set of cool looking drilled and slotted street rotors for this and hold back the track parts for the track.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I remember Carbotech posting that their compounds are all compatible so you could swap out track for street pads.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I remember Carbotech posting that their compounds are all compatible so you could swap out track for street pads.
That's what in banking on for my BBK. 1521's as street pads and XP-12/10 or -16/10 for the track.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
This is true
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have carbotech xp12/xp10 and I use them on the street and track. They are noisy on the street, but they work fine. You can also swap to their 1521 street pads without changing rotors. I've done this before and there are no rotor issues.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Contributor

Everything is Wilwood (rotors, hats, calipers, and pads). The "street" pad I was using was the E compound, which was very easy on the rotors, and "acceptable" on the track. The new pads are B compound which is nice for deep braking without having to use both feet, but are darn hard on the rotors.

The rotors are reasonably priced, but I would prefer to minimize the amount of my time spent swapping and safety wiring the rotor/hat bolts. Too many other projects I'd rather be doing.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:54 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Please check out this video I put together on this topic.
Swapping between street and race pads
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I have NO issues, BUT, I have Stoptech ST-60s and ST-40s with Stoptech Street Performance pads for street and light track duty. I also have Cobalt Friction pads for serious track duty

Last edited by 63Corvette; 12-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I have NO issues, BUT, I have Stoptech ST-60s and ST-40s with Stoptech Street Performance pads for street and light track duty. I also have Cobalt Friction pads for serious track duty
Granbury, huh? I have some relatives in that area, and have been kicking around using a family visit for an excuse to haul the Corvette along to spend some time at the motorsports ranch.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternating DD and track pad usage? Any braking issues?

Quick Reply: Alternating DD and track pad usage? Any braking issues?