Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What CAI are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What CAI are you using?

What CAI are you using? I'm thinking of changing my Vararam CAI for something else, not that it doesn't do the job. Because I'm thinking it's blocking important air flow to the radiator.... thoughts on this is welcome

G
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Vararam intake does block some of the air coming into the radiator. However, I did not experience any overheating with the unit running it for over 4 years in the Texas heat. This past summer, I switched to the LG Super Ram cold air induction. Like the Vararam - the LG is a true cold air induction unit but its intake, bridge and filter are larger than the Vararam. Also, you do not have to cut the radiator shroud - eliminating stray air flow into the engine compartment.

Last edited by Corvee; 12-08-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Halltech 103
Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Callaway Honker
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a Vararam. From what I can tell the intake is not blocking the cooling flow because the cooling comes from the bottom of the car. That is what the plastic shield is for underneath to direct air up towards it. Jack your car up and you can look directly up at your radiator.

I just switched from oem radiator to Dewitts for street/track. At the track I was hitting 240+ water temps at Sebring. This weekend the highest I saw was 208. The stock radiator just isn't meant to handle track temps if you're pushing it enough in the heat. I don't think the intake itself effects it in any way that would be noticeable.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I have a Vararam. From what I can tell the intake is not blocking the cooling flow because the cooling comes from the bottom of the car. That is what the plastic shield is for underneath to direct air up towards it. Jack your car up and you can look directly up at your radiator.

I just switched from oem radiator to Dewitts for street/track. At the track I was hitting 240+ water temps at Sebring. This weekend the highest I saw was 208. The stock radiator just isn't meant to handle track temps if you're pushing it enough in the heat. I don't think the intake itself effects it in any way that would be noticeable.
Z06 is not a bottom breather other than brakes... that said I have a full undertray with no vent intakes. Thanks for answering
Old 12-10-2012, 02:56 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman57
Z06 is not a bottom breather other than brakes... that said I have a full undertray with no vent intakes. Thanks for answering
My bad. We are apparently talking about two different things. haha. I'm referring to a C5 Z06 and I believe you are asking about a C6 Z06. My mistake!

Get notified of new replies

To What CAI are you using?

Quick Reply: What CAI are you using?