Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brazil.......WOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Brazil.......WOW!!!

What a GREAT race!
Old 11-25-2012, 04:19 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a good race as was Austin, but I thought that the TV camera coverage was poor. Is there any news on who, if anyone, will provide TV coverage in the future?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fcarga
It was a good race as was Austin, but I thought that the TV camera coverage was poor. Is there any news on who, if anyone, will provide TV coverage in the future?
Yes, NBCSports (Versa).

Hobbs, Machette and Lee Diffey will be the commentators. I don't know if Buxton will still cover the pits.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM
johninar
Drifting

I couldn't agree more, a great race. I enjoyed Austin, but even with the inferior camera work in Brazil, this race kept me on the edge of my recliner!! Not Austin. I Can't wait for next year.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
I couldn't agree more, a great race. I enjoyed Austin, but even with the inferior camera work in Brazil, this race kept me on the edge of my recliner!! Not Austin. I Can't wait for next year.
A "Nail Biter", I agree
Old 11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

It was something!! Two of the 3 announcers will be going to NBC.Bob Varsha is staying with speed.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

The camera coverage if provided by Bernie Ecclestone's crew (except for the Japanese race I think - at least that's how it was until recently at least.) It's referred to as "The World Feed" and all the race broadcasters around the world use the exact same feed. NBC will, too. The local broadcasters can certainly have their own "Tivo" replay machines and archive footage (something NBC will be lacking, I expect) but if you don't like the camera work then you'll have to write to Bernie. I expect that his response will be something like this :
http://www.darkmars.com/cf/bernie-ecclestone.jpg

Z//
Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
It was something!! Two of the 3 announcers will be going to NBC. Bob Varsha is staying with speed.
I'm sure that Varsha would prefer to go to NBC as well but he has a contract with Speed through 2013. That Leigh Diffey is supposed to do both IndyCar and F1 on NBC seems a tad much and just might mean he's holding Varsha's seat open until he can make the move. That may be just wishful speculation on my part but the speed with which NBC signed deals with Matchett and Hobbs suggests that they are loath to offend the existing F1 fan base and having the entire team on board would be a really smart thing to do.

In the closing segment of the race coverage Varsha *seemed* to say that Buxton is also going to NBC but they way he said it certainly leaves that open to interpretation.

Varsha was clearly emotional on that last bit - his microphone hand was shaking.

It was very cool of them to let the last person on air be Sam Posey who, with Hobbs, did the first SpeedVision F1 coverage (tape delayed.) Posey suffers Parkinson's Disease which is why he hasn't done on-air stuff for a long time. And that makes it all the more special that he signed on, and signed off, Speed's F1 coverage some 17 years apart. Nice touch.

It will be interesting to see if Varsha comes to NBC after 2013 when SpeedTV goes away altogether. I know that he's a road racing fan and would not be too happy doing NASCAR stuff.

Fingers crossed.

Z//
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
I'm sure that Varsha would prefer to go to NBC as well but he has a contract with Speed through 2013. That Leigh Diffey is supposed to do both IndyCar and F1 on NBC seems a tad much and just might mean he's holding Varsha's seat open until he can make the move. That may be just wishful speculation on my part but the speed with which NBC signed deals with Matchett and Hobbs suggests that they are loath to offend the existing F1 fan base and having the entire team on board would be a really smart thing to do.

In the closing segment of the race coverage Varsha *seemed* to say that Buxton is also going to NBC but they way he said it certainly leaves that open to interpretation.

Varsha was clearly emotional on that last bit - his microphone hand was shaking.

It was very cool of them to let the last person on air be Sam Posey who, with Hobbs, did the first SpeedVision F1 coverage (tape delayed.) Posey suffers Parkinson's Disease which is why he hasn't done on-air stuff for a long time. And that makes it all the more special that he signed on, and signed off, Speed's F1 coverage some 17 years apart. Nice touch.

It will be interesting to see if Varsha comes to NBC after 2013 when SpeedTV goes away altogether. I know that he's a road racing fan and would not be too happy doing NASCAR stuff.

Fingers crossed.

Z//
Given what has transpired with David and Steve, I wouldn't be surprised if Bob moves to NBC the second that his contract with Speed runs out. I had hoped and am glad to see NBC "adopt" a lot of Speed's F1 crew for their broadcast (anything about Will yet?). Now with Leigh moving to NBC, who's going to take his place at the Grand Am races? I'm sure Dorsey and Calvin can handle it but don't know if there is a plan there.

Certainly interesting times ahead for motorsports...

On topic: Definitely a great and emotionally charged race on so many levels. A great way to end a fantastic season!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hklvette
Now with Leigh moving to NBC, who's going to take his place at the Grand Am races? I'm sure Dorsey and Calvin can handle it but don't know if there is a plan there.
The real question is "who is going to SHOW the Grand-Am/ALMS/whatever_they_eventually-call-it races at all?" Once Speed goes away (I assume that they will still be "the NASCAR channel" just without the need to live up to the "Speed" premise the rest of the time) will they still do the sports car races at all? NBC might be smart to take that up, too. But then, with NASCAR being behind Grand-Am they may still force it on Fox - the tail that wags the dog and all that

The ratings don't warrant a major entity covering these things as they are money losers (those numerous Montel Williams ads during the Brazil race speak volumes on this topic - how much did Speed pay Bernie for F1 versus how much "Montel" paid Speed... )

The next couple of years will be interesting across the board - Grand-Am/ALMS, Turbo cars in F1, NBC covering F1, New Jersey F1 (let's hope), etc.

Here's an on-topic essay dated today:

http://www.gordonkirby.com/categorie..._is_no363.html

Re: Buxton

I've been Googling the hell out of it but still haven't come across anything

Z//

edit:

Re: Buxton

I have no idea how reliable this is but from crash.net on Nov 10:

"Missing from [NBC's] announcement was SPEED's pit-lane reporter Will Buxton, but the Briton is being tipped to return in a bigger role next year, possibly combining F1 with IndyCar Series duties alongside Diffey, who has been confirmed as host and commentator for the US-based open-wheel series. Buxton has split his time in 2012 between SPEED F1 duties and commentating on both GP2 and GP3 from Sky Sports in the UK, but will link up with the IndyCar Series when he hosts its end-of-year banquet in Indianapolis next month."

Last edited by Zoxxo; 11-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe NBC Sports Network will show ALMS/GA? They show the Viper Cup.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

very much agreed
Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Its was an intresting race to say the least. Its amazing what a bit of bad weather can do to an otherwise very boring form of motorsport!

I think they should do this at every track. Random water opn the track to mix things up a bit.

Chris.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Its was an intresting race to say the least. Its amazing what a bit of bad weather can do to an otherwise very boring form of motorsport!

I think they should do this at every track. Random water opn the track to mix things up a bit.

Chris.
Yep, and have a windmill turn where they have to drive through the variable speed spinning blades of a windmill while negotiating a turn. It has to be timed perfectly or they hit the blade.

Oh, and a tunnel turn where they enter one of 4 tunnels and never know where they'll come out, kinda like a Prairie Dog. Maybe on track, maybe not.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Oh, and a tunnel turn where they enter one of 4 tunnels and never know where they'll come out, kinda like a Prairie Dog. Maybe on track, maybe not.
didn't you watch the race? Kimi tried that. Ended up in the twighlight zone
Old 11-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
didn't you watch the race? Kimi tried that. Ended up in the twighlight zone
He hadn't paid his OnStar premium and they cancelled his turn by turn instructions.

Get notified of new replies

To Brazil.......WOW!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Finally caught it. So many opportunities for it all to go so wrong for Seb. Alonso just doesn't do put a foot wrong. Loved including Posey. Hopefully NBC lets him continue to do the intros etc, more often than not they give me chills.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Yep, they definitely finished up in style. Now all I have to do is convince my cable company to pick up NBCSN, otherwise....

Now for the long off season. Mods to do, plans to make, etc.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Yep, and have a windmill turn where they have to drive through the variable speed spinning blades of a windmill while negotiating a turn. It has to be timed perfectly or they hit the blade.

Im sorry but F1 on a nice dry day is just too boaring to watch on TV! If you have ever seen single seaters with no wings (ie Formula Ford) its SOO much more fun to watch! And true door to door (BTCC for example) is far more intresting than F1. I love the tech in F1 but its boaring as hell!

Quick Reply: Brazil.......WOW!!!