Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are teh signs that your bushings need to be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default What are teh signs that your bushings need to be replaced?

I have a 98 C% and have been doing a lot of autocrossing with it. It has about 70k on the odometer now. What signs should I be looking for that tell me its time to have the bushings replaced?
Old 11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The top front A Arm bushings are the ones that usually cause problems when the car is pushed hard racing. Visual inspection will show that the bushing is pushing out of the A Arm. If they are centered, you will be fine, have not heard of anyone actually wearing them out. If extra firmness or control is desired, change out to poly bushings.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Bottoms will push out as well. My 97 pushed the bottom bushings while not affecting the tops. The bottom control arms pushed so far back on the bushings the control arms were making contact with the cradle and shaving metal off from it with every movement. Needless to say there wasn't any caster either. I think the max I could get was 2.5 degrees. I only have pictures of good bottom control arms installed and brand new upper control arms not installed. First two are of the bottom control arms on my 03. The LCAs on the 03 looked different than the ones on the 97 so the newer bushings may not push out as easily as the ones on the early C5s. Third picture shows a brand new UCA.

Bill
Attached Images    

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-23-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What are teh signs that your bushings need to be replaced?

Quick Reply: What are teh signs that your bushings need to be replaced?