Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post your Austin F1 pictures and videos here -- Circuit Of The Americas

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Post your Austin F1 pictures and videos here -- Circuit Of The Americas

I was in Austin roughly a month ago driving on a dirt entrance road through what seemed like a perpetual dust cloud. Drove on the unfinished race track in an Escalade wondering how in the world this facility would be ready to host a major race in the several weeks to come.

Fast forward to Friday and it seemed as if I jumped through a time warp as the construction site was transformed into a venue that is breathtaking.

The Austin Police (and outside law enforcement brought in) along with other municipal services did a fantastic job with traffic and transportation being this was an experiment and a first time run.

The track is like none other I've ever been to.
  • The track layout offers a little bit of everything
  • There were vendors placed conveniently around the entire track
  • The myriad of colors within the complex is easy on the eyes
  • Jumbo-trons viewable from almost every seating section
  • Different music/performance stages
  • An abundance of staff and volunteers
  • The Tower -- offering a view of the entire track about 25 stories high
  • A walking path around the entire track -- albeit a long one

Definitely a bucket list destination.

I regret being lazy and leaving my good camera behind but here are some iPhone pics -- hopefully others that were there will have more to share.

Stay tuned as I'm working on a track day for next year.

Mike
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is video of lap 1 that I shot from my iPhone in turn 15:

http://youtu.be/mD97yXzZJ3M
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike. Do you think all the colors are distracting to the drivers or do they provide good reference points for braking, turn-in, etc? How was attendance vs expectations? NASCAR is bleeding audience like a brake line with a hole in it. Reports on the event run from Texas-size over the top spectacle to "weird". The America theme should go over very well in Texas; good location to bring F1 to USA.
Yeah on track days!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
Thanks Mike. Do you think all the colors are distracting to the drivers or do they provide good reference points for braking, turn-in, etc?
Yeah on track days!
Art,

I spoke to a driver who said the track was great. The colors outside the curbing didn't bother him. The higher vantage point the viewers have make it seem more distracting that it really is. Your #10 race car will feel right at home here next year.

Mike
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in for a track day, this looks like an outstanding place to drive! My view from Turn 11 during Saturday Qualifying . GoPro 2 wasn't the best choice of cameras it was just easy to get in there.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm definitely in for a track day as well. The group I run with is supposed to be down there in April so I'm looking forward to running this thing.

I was in turn 12 and spent more time just soaking up the place and forgot to take pictures.

Jay
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great stuff keep em coming!! and a track day would be awesome!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

I've heard the SCCA is having a National race there in March, and the BMWCCA is having a HPDE and Club race there in March, too.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,
I love the track. A NCM HPDE would be great.
Gary
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the pics! Definitely a very impressive facility. Hard to see the elevation changes in a picture. Are they significant?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:24 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

here's a panorama of Turn 1 i took:

Old 11-20-2012, 11:58 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mcar00
Thanks for the pics! Definitely a very impressive facility. Hard to see the elevation changes in a picture. Are they significant?
Epic...

Just catch the race on Speed this week on a rebroadcast. In car video showed it pretty well.

I must have walked at least 15 miles this weekend around there...my legs were killing me Sunday night.

Going to do the Paddock Club next year...one of the bucket list items...at my home track.

Life can't get much better!
Old 11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Start of the USGP at COTA

View My Video

My wife and I had a GREAT time there over the weekend, and were very impressed with the track and the racing. We were less impressed with the changes in access routes from Friday to Sunday, but even so, we arrived at COTA on Sunday morning about 7:05 AM with NO problem, and after the race we were safely "back home" in Austin within one hour. The race organization, facility, and service were all above reproach, although the crowds (120,000 announced) were incredible, and some fans were rude. We had seats in the Grandstand at turn 11, but mostly watched from the grassy berm above turn 11. Now that we know what to expect, we will be back, and better prepared next time The Heritage Flight of a P-38, two P-51s, and an F-16 was just icing on our cake. (BTW I think the FIA "Medical Car - station wagon" could qualify on pole for any NASCAR race)

Last edited by 63Corvette; 11-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Some cell pics. Track and venue is phenomenal. Event was well organized and the people were fantastic. From where i took the second picture, you could see almost 1/3 of the track and 10 turns. It was at the top of the turn 15 stands. Until the bleacher **** wouldn't let me stand on the platform at the top anymore. Still great views.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That medical station wagon had an exhaust note like my Z. Thought to myself, "damn, that's not stock".

Then the Mclaren Mercerdes and the wagon were having a go at the track before the race on Sunday. Now how do I get that job?

Jay
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
That medical station wagon had an exhaust note like my Z. Thought to myself, "damn, that's not stock".

Then the Mclaren Mercerdes and the wagon were having a go at the track before the race on Sunday. Now how do I get that job?

Jay
Spend 10 years racing Formula 1. Both the drivers are ex-formula 1 racers
Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Did anyone enjoy how glorious the force india car sounded when downshifting into turn one? On a good backfire it would echo all the way down the straight. Epic.

Get notified of new replies

To Post your Austin F1 pictures and videos here -- Circuit Of The Americas

Old 11-21-2012, 10:40 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Did anyone enjoy how glorious the force india car sounded when downshifting into turn one? On a good backfire it would echo all the way down the straight. Epic.
They were the only ones? Usually all the cars sound and feel like cannon shots when going down through the gears. The red bulls sounded distinctly different earlier this year, not sure if that changed.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
They were the only ones? Usually all the cars sound and feel like cannon shots when going down through the gears. The red bulls sounded distinctly different earlier this year, not sure if that changed.
I found the force indias to be particularly louder than the other cars on the gird, especially when downshifting and off throttle. the caterhams also had a uniquely louder/growlier exhaust note.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I found the force indias to be particularly louder than the other cars on the gird, especially when downshifting and off throttle. the caterhams also had a uniquely louder/growlier exhaust note.
The Force Indias sounded the nastiest. My ears were ringing for two full days and my legs still hurt.

Quick Reply: Post your Austin F1 pictures and videos here -- Circuit Of The Americas