Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Best Little Road Course in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default The Best Little Road Course in Texas

From the WSJ:

AUTO RACING Updated November 14, 2012, 7:14 p.m. ET.

The Best Little Road Course in Texas

Purpose-Built Track Gives Formula One New Hope in the U.S.

A Red Bull Formula One show car in front of the Texas Capitol

Austin, Texas

On Sunday, the world of international motor-sport will turn its helmeted eyes to, of all places, Texas.

It is here that Formula One—the richest and most popular form of racing on the planet—will return to the U.S. for the first time since 2007, unleashing some 17,000 horsepower on pavement that is barely dry.

The 2012 U.S. Grand Prix will take place at the new $400 million Circuit of the Americas—the first purpose-built F1 racetrack in this country. It is the latest attempt in F1's quest to establish a foothold in America—the most important realm it hasn't conquered.

As luck would have it, the world championship can be clinched in Austin, which has assured the race a strong turnout. Still, in a sense, the most important race already has been won: that which the promoters faced in their own white-knuckled battle to finish the circuit in time. It is a plot with as many twists as the 3.4-mile track itself.

It all started in 2010 when a group of investors drummed up a quixotic plan to lure F1 back to the U.S. with a circuit outside Austin. They recruited Texas tycoon Red McCombs, the former owner of the Minnesota Vikings and San Antonio Spurs, and approached Bernie Ecclestone, F1's mercurial leader.

Ecclestone had a rocky history in this country. Nine U.S. cities have hosted F1, but each event has failed due to poor facilities and contract disputes. For F1, which races in Asia, Australia, Europe, South America—virtually everywhere but here—the U.S. market is a wellspring of fans and money.

A contract was signed in 2010. But as the project moved along, rumors surfaced that construction was way behind. Then came financial problems. In November 2011, Ecclestone crossed the Austin race off the calendar, stopping the bulldozers in their tracks.

A new set of investors came in, headed by local businessman Bobby Epstein, who joined with McCombs and negotiated a new contract with Ecclestone. At one point, Epstein estimated that the race had a 5% chance.

But with new funding in place, construction continued. On Oct. 21, the promoters organized a christening ceremony complete with rides around the circuit courtesy of Mario Andretti, the only living American F1 champion. At the time, backhoes were still hurling dirt around.

If ever there were a season for F1's return, this is it. The U.S. Grand Prix is the penultimate race on the 2012 calendar. The championship has come down to a duel between Germany's Sebastian Vettel (of the Red Bull team) and Spain's Fernando Alonso (Ferrari). Vettel, the two-time defending F1 champion, holds a 10-point lead, meaning he can clinch the title if he places well ahead of Alonso on Sunday.

A third straight title for the 25-year-old Vettel would put him in the ranks of the best of all time. Alonso has managed to lead in points much of this season despite piloting a less-competitive car. He is fighting to bring the trophy back to Ferrari, the most successful team in F1 history, for the first time since 2004.

"This season has been the best in my memory in terms of being unpredictable and different teams that were not expected to be great coming alive," said Andretti. "You can't write a script like this. The championship could unfold right on our own track."

When the checkered flag waves Sunday, the future of F1 in this country should become clearer. Promoters are expecting between 110,000 and 120,000 spectators Sunday, the climax of three days of racing and events, including a music festival headlined by Aerosmith. Tickets for the race are nearly sold out, according to track officials.

Austin's Circuit of the Americas has a contract to host F1 through 2021. In 2014, F1 is planning a second U.S. race in Weehawken, N.J., against the backdrop of Manhattan. That race was scheduled for June 2013 but was pushed back—a testament to how hard it is to host F1.

Compared with Nascar's traditional oval tracks and closed wheel cars, every F1 circuit is a winding roller coaster and every car a unique open-wheel marvel of technology. "An F1 car is like a fighter jet—the technology, the G-force, the quickness," said Scott Speed, the last American driver to compete in F1 (2007), who has since competed in Nascar. "Nascar feels more like a 747."

The concern is whether these events will pay for themselves—whether F1 once again will fail to resonate here despite its wild popularity overseas. Another drawback: no American drivers. Though McCombs initially said it was "imperative" that an American be on the grid in Austin, there won't be any.

"The sport isn't relevant here," said Speed. "We have the NFL, hockey, IndyCar, Nascar and drag racing. Other countries don't have that infrastructure of entertainment."

Clearly the checkered flag isn't all that is at stake in Austin. "If we can get traction [in the U.S.] and people enjoy our sport then it's going to be fantastic," said Red Bull F1 driver Mark Webber, who is fourth in the standings entering Austin. "It's the most popular motor sport in the world and that's a very important and I suppose precious market for us."

Andretti is optimistic. "It never had a steady home," he said of F1 in the U.S. "Finally it'll have a proper home."
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I got to clear the DVR off tonight and set the recorder for the weekend.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I know this is an old thread but I looking for an open road course in Texas (close to cen-tex preferably) tha has weekend openings for drivers. Does this track open its doors to the public?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JDaniel
I know this is an old thread but I looking for an open road course in Texas (close to cen-tex preferably) tha has weekend openings for drivers. Does this track open its doors to the public?
There are a few groups that have rented the track.

Rumor has it that its very expensive to rent the track.
I'd go to the track web page and see what the schedule is.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:50 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jaa1992
There are a few groups that have rented the track.

Rumor has it that its very expensive to rent the track.
I'd go to the track web page and see what the schedule is.
I wonder why.

If it just sits they're not making any money. There has to be price at which it's worthwhile to have amateur events.

Maybe there needs to be a NCM HPDE there. Roc, have you looked into this?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Jon B.
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

What about Harris Hill?

www.harrishillroad.com

I drove it right before it opened initially (friends). Good fun.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some DE's are being scheduled for COTA - MVP Track Time is holding an event Feb. 1-3 ($850.00 for three days). It sold out immediately after opening this past Tuesday. Another area organizer is putting together a 2013 spring COTA DE. SCCA is holding a regional March 8-10 if you are licensed. NASA Texas is working on a 2014 event (race, time trial, DE).

I noticed you are in Kempner - not too far from College Station and Texas World Speedway. TWS is a fantastic track - 2.9 mile road course using part of the NASCAR oval. Events practically every weekend http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/
Another option is Motorsport Ranch Cresson, southwest of Fort Worth - a great 3.1 mile road course with regular events. http://www.motorsportranch.com/index.cfm

Harris Hill is a nice track and fun but has become very bumpy and the noise ordinance turns away a lot of drivers.

Last edited by Corvee; 12-08-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I wonder why.

If it just sits they're not making any money. There has to be price at which it's worthwhile to have amateur events.

Maybe there needs to be a NCM HPDE there. Roc, have you looked into this?
If it is like the Glen the track web page doesn't provide much info about HPDE events. Various groups rent the track for 2 to 3 days at a time and just about every day is scheduled for something. A couple of years ago the Glen track rental ran $8K per day with a 2 day minimum. That got you the track, track workers, wrecker, fire, ambulance and flaggers to work the flag stations. The Glen is owned by the France family and is part of International Speedway Inc. so track rentals are probably about what you would pay for any large corporate owned facility. So figure an organization is going to need to have at least $20K invested in a two day event when all costs including insurance are covered.

With a new track I imagine the various clubs and organizations will have to approach the track with inquiries. Groups of individuals who just want to have a track day probably will not be accepted.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If it is like the Glen the track web page doesn't provide much info about HPDE events. Various groups rent the track for 2 to 3 days at a time and just about every day is scheduled for something. A couple of years ago the Glen track rental ran $8K per day with a 2 day minimum. That got you the track, track workers, wrecker, fire, ambulance and flaggers to work the flag stations. The Glen is owned by the France family and is part of International Speedway Inc. so track rentals are probably about what you would pay for any large corporate owned facility. So figure an organization is going to need to have at least $20K invested in a two day event when all costs including insurance are covered.

With a new track I imagine the various clubs and organizations will have to approach the track with inquiries. Groups of individuals who just want to have a track day probably will not be accepted.

Bill

I think Road America was near 14000 last time i checked.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Private track rental at COTA is 50000.00 a day with a max of 24 cars
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 1ED1
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks for the information, guys! Im going to look into a few options.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

COTA rental information

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/visit/track-rental

Last edited by 1ED1; 12-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:24 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ED1
MVP track time was 135 cars max @ 850 per day so i am sure they maybe worked some kind of deal
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM
ooldguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a weekend at Road America is real close to $60K
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

$50k a day!? I can see a rate change really soon in their future. Someone probably needs to tell them about the recent track closures across the country. Oh yeah, there is that pesky little thing about the economy, too. Anyone care to sign up with a track promoter for $2500 a day?
Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
MVP track time was 135 cars max @ 850 per day so i am sure they maybe worked some kind of deal
Exactly - it is my understanding the owners of the track were concentrating on preparing the track for the inaugural F1 event and not particullary receptive. As mentioned in my other post - another local organizer is working on a spring 2013 DE and it is my understanding the fees will not be exorbitant - less than the MVP Track Time event.

Last edited by Corvee; 12-09-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To The Best Little Road Course in Texas

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM
myles930
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was out there for the F1 race. I was drooling at the thought of driving that track. $850 for 3 days really doesn't sound that outrageous given the quality of the facility and the fact that it is on the F1 schedule... who knows, if you get 4 or 5 sessions a day at 20 or 30 minutes each, sounds like a deal to me. That said, I will make the trip out there for a driving event but I think I will wait for the hype to die down. Doesn't sound like much fun with 135 other cars out there...
Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
GS023
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.drivewayaustin.com/
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 AM
JDaniel
Senior Badass!
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by GS023
Ive talked to these guys before about three years ago and they didnt allow POVs on the track. Just the use of their cars only. I'm not sure if they allow it now or not though.

Quick Reply: The Best Little Road Course in Texas