Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decent slotted only rotor for the c6

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Default decent slotted only rotor for the c6

I have a 2008 base c6. the owner before me put the cheap set of drilled/slotted rotors and brake stop (i think) pads. i have a horrible shimmy/hummm on moderate to heavy braking. also im seeing a heat mark in the middle of the rotor.

I would like to change out the rotors. i was originally going to add some z51 rotors, but am concerned of cracking.

as far as autocrossing and tracking the car Maybe once a year for auto-x and maybe a HPDE once this year at MSR.

I just want a good slotted only rotor thats not going to break the bank. im tired of searching as it seems everything has drilled and its filtering through pages of threads.

I have heard of TPS (i think) on the forum and decent feedback and good prices.

thoughts, opinions

also recomendation on a pad as well. I had hawk hps on last set and had a bad squeel/squeek. I thought about hp plus would that be too much for a street car.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 265 Likes on 222 Posts

DB 4000 or 5000 (if you would like two pc rotor)
Hawk HP+ will make a lot of noise on the street I do not know if it's more than HPS or not. I like them as they grip quicker than stock and do work on track also
Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Chet, check the C6 forum parts for sale...there's some good pricing on 2-pc. DBA5000's right now froma forum vendor, although they're drilled & slotted, but I've read very good things about these 2-pc. rotors.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I just put HP+ on last week. They had an embarrassing amount of squeal ------ until I took the car to Sebring. They haven't sqealed since but they do now have a sort of hard rubbing sound that I don't know is audible from the outside. They're a real good stopping pad but maybe too much for once or twice a year of hard use.
I have Hawk ceramic on my C5 and love them. Good enough stopping power for everyday and very little dust.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,751 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
DB 4000 or 5000 (if you would like two pc rotor)
Hawk HP+ will make a lot of noise on the street I do not know if it's more than HPS or not. I like them as they grip quicker than stock and do work on track also
Check out www.KNSBrakes.com for DBA rotors and various pads.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Thanks everyone more opinions welcome
Old 11-08-2012, 08:59 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Another vote for DBA's. They've taken everything I've thrown at them the past 18 months. Good rotors!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

HPS are great on the street. Just get them hot once to get a decent transfer layer. HP+ are too much for the street but ok for a beginner on the track.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I just put HP+ on last week. They had an embarrassing amount of squeal ------ until I took the car to Sebring. They haven't sqealed since but they do now have a sort of hard rubbing sound that I don't know is audible from the outside. They're a real good stopping pad but maybe too much for once or twice a year of hard use.
I have Hawk ceramic on my C5 and love them. Good enough stopping power for everyday and very little dust.
Originally Posted by Scooter70
HPS are great on the street. Just get them hot once to get a decent transfer layer. HP+ are too much for the street but ok for a beginner on the track.
Ouch.

J/K I was told that they wouldn't last once I learned how to dive in late and fast. On the other hand, I was also told they would be perfect for my ability and prove to be less harsh on the rotors,,, and they'll wear out just like all the others so I can upgrade when they wear out and I have improved. That's when I'll need to get used to swapping pads before and after each event (track pads vs street pads).
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM
xsspd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Check out www.KNSBrakes.com for DBA rotors and various pads.
Great supporting vendor
Old 11-09-2012, 09:25 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Chets Z06
I have a 2008 base c6. the owner before me put the cheap set of drilled/slotted rotors and brake stop (i think) pads. i have a horrible shimmy/hummm on moderate to heavy braking. also im seeing a heat mark in the middle of the rotor.

I would like to change out the rotors. i was originally going to add some z51 rotors, but am concerned of cracking.

as far as autocrossing and tracking the car Maybe once a year for auto-x and maybe a HPDE once this year at MSR.

I just want a good slotted only rotor thats not going to break the bank. im tired of searching as it seems everything has drilled and its filtering through pages of threads.

thoughts, opinions

also recomendation on a pad as well. I had hawk hps on last set and had a bad squeel/squeek. I thought about hp plus would that be too much for a street car.
Try Zeckhausen for a set of 1-piece slotted rotors. based on your usage they should be more than good enough. I use them on my Z06 which gets much more track exposure.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM
JEPopp
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

On my '07 Z51, I had Hawk HPS for the street w/out any squeal issues, but they did not do well on the track. For the track I used Carbotech XP10/XP8 (street tires) and they worked great.

I also have a set of new TPS Centric Slotted rotors for sale, if you have a Z51 car. I am flexible on price.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-here-138.html
Old 11-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Ouch.

J/K I was told that they wouldn't last once I learned how to dive in late and fast. On the other hand, I was also told they would be perfect for my ability and prove to be less harsh on the rotors,,, and they'll wear out just like all the others so I can upgrade when they wear out and I have improved. That's when I'll need to get used to swapping pads before and after each event (track pads vs street pads).
That's why I said that. You'll probably get 2-4 days out of them before you end up over-driving them and they fall apart.

Get used to changing pads now. HP+ aren't great on the street and you'll sound like a school bus coming up to every stoplight. It only takes 15-20 minutes to change front pads once you figure out everything you need. You need to bleed the caliper before/after track days anyway so you're 75% of the way to swapping pads already.

The first rule of brake pads around this forum is: There is no such thing as a dual propose pad. Street pads on the street, track pads on the track.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Contact forum member drivinhard. He has a line that he doesn't advertise. A lot of us in the SE run them with good results.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Have one set left.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1582292322

thoughts, opinions

Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Chet, there's a guy that just posted some NOS C6 Z51 rotors for sale in the C6 section today...not sure if they fit your C6 however. Just do a search for "brakes" & you'll see them.

Thanks everyone more opinions welcome
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Is the track street thing simply due to the consistency of the brakes being hot at the track. Versus on the street they will not get as hot even in something say autocross where tracks are short period runs

Get notified of new replies

To decent slotted only rotor for the c6

Old 11-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Also looks like r1 concepts or tps for a slotted and brake setup. Might go with the stoptech brakes instead of hawk
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Pmed 3 forum sponsors on rotors and pads with no response. Aggravating when I'm ready to buy.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:07 AM
xsspd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chets ls3
Pmed 3 forum sponsors on rotors and pads with no response. Aggravating when I'm ready to buy.
Call KNS Brakes 919-420-0021. They will take care of you.

Quick Reply: decent slotted only rotor for the c6