Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone explain to me why helmets 'expire'?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default can someone explain to me why helmets 'expire'?

Ive got a mint-looking condition helmet that I use about 2x a year. Thats it.

Anyways, I was informed at the last autoX that it would be 'expiring' soon and that I would need a new one.

There is nothing friggin wrong with this one.

Can someone explain to me why these 'expire'?

Id rather put my money into performance mods.

There seems to be no difference in pliability, etc. of the materials in it as it is typically stored in a climate controlled house.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not everyone uses a helmet twice a year so most of them get significant wear. You also have ever improving safety standards so changes are needed to keep up with those when they occur.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

The helmet lining, despite looking and feeling good, loses over time its ability to absorb the amount of impact that it needs to pass DOT and Snell tests.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Requiring SA-rated helmets for Auto-X is ridiculous.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:28 PM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Can someone explain to me why these 'expire'?
For the most part, so that they can make money selling new ones and avoid product liability claims by making the buyer responsible for "timely" replacement of the product.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Plastic deteriorates chemically over time, becoming brittle, especially when exposed to heat and sunlight. Ever work on an old car? All the plastic and rubber bits, especially under the hood, break when you touch them. Manufactures know the lifespan of the products they use, and will only guarantee their performance well inside that lifespan. To do otherwise would expose them to potential liability and jeopardize their business.

Last edited by Jason; 09-22-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:22 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

because the date changed too many times since you bought it
Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Not all associations require only a SA-rated helmet. Some will allow a Snell M-rated helmet. Very few associations will allow a DOT only rated helmet.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Helmets are made to absorb impacts. I have ones for above 150 MPH and below 150 MPH. They are also made to crack to absorb severe impacts. I learned by rasing hell many years abo when a helmet cracked in several places and the manufacturer said, "We are glad the helmet cracked and saved your head!" For autocrossing I don't see any big deal on any kind of helmet but once you get above about 70-80 MPH you need a good one. They do get old but $$ are also involved in my opinion.

Anyone that has ever been on fire will also appreciate nomex clothing, socks, bloves, etc.

JIm
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think for autox its all bull. For track days, i understand. I once at an autox was told i couldnt use my motorcycle helmet that was brand new. but they passed a 10 year old dirt bike helmet that ive sweat and been in rain and thrown around the back of a truck.

There are some techs that use their brains but some do things so by the book it makes no sense.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I feel it's marketing. You can look at the SA standards, they constantly "tweek" them to require new tests, but that doesn't automatically mean your old helmet no longer meets the new specs. If you have an impact with your helmet, get a new one. Personally, my 7 year old helmet is as perfect as it was the day I bought it (paint job proves it) and I would trust it for another 20 years if it doesn't hit anything!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

It's sort of like seat belts, fire systems and seats. They all have expiration dates. Now - let's think about this. If I show up at a track day with my '58 and the stock '58 seat belts everything is just fine. Now if I have aftermarket belts they have an expiration date. Same with seats. My '58 seats are just fine but if I have FIA approved carbon fiber seats they have expiration dates.Go figure.

Richard Newton
Facebook
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 09-24-2012, 06:50 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by theVcar
Not too many organizatons (actually, I don't know of a single one) require SA helmets for autocross.

As a side note, I used to work for a company that made engineering resins and one of the products were EPS materials that are used by some helmet manufacturers for the inner shell. I had worked with these materials for energy absorbers that are commonly used on the backside of knee bolsters and bumper beam EAs. Those materials do degrade over time, even in applications that do not see heat/humidity/UV.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

FIA and SNELL make money when you buy a new helmet. Soo . .
Old 09-24-2012, 07:09 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I was informed at the last autoX that it would be 'expiring' soon and that I would need a new one.
Originally Posted by acrace
Not too many organizatons (actually, I don't know of a single one) require SA helmets for autocross.
It sounds like the OP found one.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

It sounds like the OP found one.
You need to distinguish between expiration dates and ratings. OP never said anything about the rating but his/her concern was about expiration date.

There are different types of Snell ratings. K (for karts), M (for motorcycles), SA (for special applications - used for wheel-to-wheel). SA helmets are usually twice the cost of a K or M. The rating standards are based upon various factors such as flame resistance, impact standards, etc. Snell standards are revised every few years. SA is every five years (latest standard is SA2010).

Various sanctioning bodies, depending upon the activity, allow helmets of only certain years. SCCA for autocrossing has to be the current or previous two. NCCC for autocrossing has to be the current or previous one. Thus my SA2000 can be used for SCCA autocrossing but not NCCC events.

Get notified of new replies

To can someone explain to me why helmets 'expire'?

Old 09-24-2012, 05:44 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by acrace
You need to distinguish between expiration dates and ratings. OP never said anything about the rating but his/her concern was about expiration date.
Maybe he'll see this and fill us in.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

You know it really doesn't matter what we think, when they tell us to buy a new one, we HAVE to do it. The thing to remember is, whenever a new helmet comes out (say 2015), if you have a 2005, go ahead and buy anew one so that you can get 10 full years out of it. Never buy a clearance model when the new ratings come out, or you'll only get 5-6 years out of it. Go ahead and get in sync with the updates so that you can enjoy it.

Reminds me of buying the "wrong" iPhone upgrade!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

SA helmets are designed to impact roll bars and are made with flame resistant liner material, among other features. Obviously the top rating for professional motorsports.

Requiring SA or even current Snell dates is ridiculous for street cars running 5 year old (or older) patched street tires and factory seatbelts.

Quick Reply: can someone explain to me why helmets 'expire'?