Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start for SOLO events?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:47 AM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Default Where to start for SOLO events?

What mods are suggested for a little SOLO racing? No track over here but they do run SOLO a lot.

2002 Z06 with C6Z06 brakes and 12" rears with flared fenders are where I am at and it puts down about 500rwhp from the forged 383 in it.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If car dosen't already have one, get a good racing harness in it. C5 seats SUCK! next best mod would be a racing seat, then good alignment, sticky tires, shocks, suspension mods, better brake pad material...........

Most important SEAT TIME and have fun
Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,388 Likes on 743 Posts

I wouldn't do any more mods, just go to an event, tell them you've never done this before, ask for an instructor, and have some fun! Don't worry about your car classification, you won't be competitive in any of them at this point.

Have fun, and tell us how it goes!
Mike
Old 09-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Z06PSI
Team Owner

Received 245 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

Gonna start with the seat, decent set of adjustable coilovers, and some C6Z06 sway bars. Get some better tires and start from there. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:42 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PSI
Gonna start with the seat, decent set of adjustable coilovers, and some C6Z06 sway bars. Get some better tires and start from there. Thanks!
The C5 Z06 is very competitive as is. I wouldn't mess with the suspension until you really know how to drive the car in AutoX fashion. Then, if/when you identify specific changes you want to make, start modding.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:04 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Agree with avizandum.

I'd suggest just running for a season with the car as it is. Learn about what you like or don't like about autocrossing, and what organization is your best fit (SCCA, NCCC, etc). Decide how serious you want to be about this sport. Lots of times, newbies start throwing parts at the car, then when they decide that they would like to run at a high level, they either have to undo a lot of their mods or go even deeper, because of the class structure. Or they decide that it's not for them, which is fine as well.

If you can find either a Solopro school, Evolution school, or a test n tune, take advantage of it. One of the challenges of autocrossing is that at an event you typically don't get a lot of runs and learning to analyze a course and then executing is part of the cerebral challenge. Thus learning is especially hard for newbies. At a dedicated school or test n tune, you can get good seat time, good critiques, and really learn to analyze your car and driving.

I've been doing this for more years than I care to think about, and I've made many good friends from around the country because of it.

Last edited by acrace; 09-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

With your engine mods you're already in one of the top classes perhaps XP. Your HP isn't going to be much help until you have the seat time to use more of it. This is also course dependent. A seat and harness is a good choice to keep you in place when you drive. Tires will give you the highest return but also just move your driving flaws to a higher speed. As others are saying, just go out and drive it -- a lot. Pick another car with times close to yours and see how you do from event to event to track your progress. You maybe the only car in your class. Have fun.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Lots of good advice above and I would also recommend waiting to do any more mods - learn the basics of AX, learn the car as it is, and learn what class you want to compete in. Then you can figure where to speed money to get the best bang for your $. Enjoy!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:18 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I've been auto-xing for just over a year now. SO addicting.
I left my car stock except for an alignment. I ran 9 year old worn out street tires all year. The progress I made as a driver from seat time and one solo school (thanks to guys at Steel Cities SCCA for that one) in one year is just great. I'm thrilled to be one of the fastest street tired cars in my local club. I'm just behind cars on R-comps. My last event, FTD was 31.0 I ran a 33.5.

More speed in the car, A LOT more in me, hopefully.

Keep it close to stock and drive the poop out of it.

Don't get freaked out by the courses and trying to remember them. Just keep at it. Its getting easier every event I do.

If I could give you one piece of advice, its this: STAY SMOOTH. Over driving the car is never fast. Be in control but on the edge.
Its a fine line.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

You can stave off a seat purchase by ratcheting the lap belt down on yourself and then getting a torso strap to hold your upper body to the seat back. You can also pull the foam to the inside of the plastic supports to narrow the bolsters a bit.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to start for SOLO events?

Quick Reply: Where to start for SOLO events?