Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brake pads are you using with Stoptech brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default What brake pads are you using with Stoptech brakes?

What pads do you use on the track with Stoptech st-60/40's? I am getting close to ordering a st BBK and want to make sure I understand the cost.....trying to be an educated buyer. Also who has the best prices on Stoptechs?
Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Hawk DTC70's from Porterfield.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I've run Carbotech's and Cobalts. I can't remember the prices for the pads but I think Carbotech has them up on their web site. Keep in mind that the ST60 pads will be more expensive.

I got my StopTech's through David Farmer years ago.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
What pads do you use on the track with Stoptech st-60/40's? I am getting close to ordering a st BBK and want to make sure I understand the cost.....trying to be an educated buyer. Also who has the best prices on Stoptechs?
Thanks for the help,
Charley
Cobalt Friction XR2 for track, and Stoptech Street Performance for the street (or light track) usage. I can run at MSR Cresson on slicks with Street Performance pads and no problems, because MSR is not very hard on brakes, and the pads are good for up to 1300 degreesF.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

I agree on the cobalt pads. They are the best I have found, and I have tried many different companies pads. They provide all the stopping power you will ever want, and they last longer, and are rotor friendly. Having great stopping power is great, but if you have to replace rotors frequently, that really adds up in cost very quickly. You will be amazed how long your rotors last with cobalt pads. I get mine from Motorsport Legends 423 339 2901. Jerry
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Charley, we make pads for this BBK in all compounds.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks for the help,
Charley
"pick me"

-Ken
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Thanks for all of the advice/help.

Charley
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Why do people always say that BBKs are cheaper to operate? It looks like the cost of pads is about the same as stock brakes.....is it because the BBK pads are thicker?
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Why do people always say that BBKs are cheaper to operate? It looks like the cost of pads is about the same as stock brakes.....is it because the BBK pads are thicker?
Depending on the kit - pads may actually be more. So no - I don't generally say it's cheaper.

But a good kit should provide a series of benefits that are most prominent on cars that are under-braked. In other words - a base C6/C5, WRX, even an STi/EVO to some extent as compared to say Miata's, most Porsche's, S2000's etc.

-More consistent brakes throughout a session
-Better feel/modulation - this is really big for some cars. Vette brakes have decent feel at least while the pads are new.
-Wear that can save you a session - or at least eliminate paddock brake jobs.

It would probably take quite a while to offset the initial cost of the kit over longer lasting pads/rotors - if at all. But I can tell you - I am already happy w/ the smallish AP kit after just a few events. Pad wear is so far acceptable - feel is great - and I'm not flipping pads every 2 sessions.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 AM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having ST60 setup put on my car shortly and I will be running carbotech. Their pads are MUCH better priced than the cobalts. XP12 is 200 less than XR pads for ST60.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Charlie,

Consider the Stoptech T1 racing BBK kit. It was developed on my T1 car by ST. The ST T1 kit is used by the SCCA T1 national champion. Cheaper because I used to crack stock rotors on the 3rd trackday and go through pads in 1 weekend. Now my rotors are over 2 years old and my pads forever! The T1 kit uses the trophy rotors not the aero rotors is full floating and uses the st40/41 combo 4 pistons and I still have not had to rebuild the calipers yet either. This combo is bullit-proof! 6 piston is not needed to keep the pads flat. I don't see anything but a marketing advantage there. We are running these cars very hard and heavy at 3200lbs and about 385ish hp to the wheels. By the way, I bleed brakes as part of pretech before I race then never touch the brakes for the rest of the weekend. I spend less in rotors, calipers, pads, and fluids than Stock with almost zero maintenance over the course of the racing season.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 12-21-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

in my experience stock calipers with track padlets last 3.5 sessions @ Road America. StopTech 60's with Hawk DTC 70's last about 6 sessions.

BTW: i'm very happy with the DTC 70's, I get mine from Joel at Corvette Sports.

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 12-23-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Its just better performance and better lap times
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get a bigger pad for usually a lower price. It probably takes years, but they can eventually pay themselves. Think of how much longer the rotors last. Granted they cost more, but they last a lot longer. Now ask how much your time is worth every time you have to pull off a cheap rotor and put on a new one? Let's say rotors for BBK cost 5 or 10 times as much but last 5 or 10 times longer. How much labor cost do you want to allocate to swapping our rotors 5 or 10 times as often?

Get notified of new replies

To What brake pads are you using with Stoptech brakes?

Quick Reply: What brake pads are you using with Stoptech brakes?