Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hot does PS fluid get? Liquid-liquid enclosed cooler work for PS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default How hot does PS fluid get? Liquid-liquid enclosed cooler work for PS?

Curious how hot PS fluid gets and if using a liquid-liquid EOC in the end tank of a radiator would provide sufficient cooling? I.e. will 220 degree coolant cool the PS fluid off enough?

I assume it will work as my father's Panoz uses the left side end tank (the cold side on that car - bottom left outlet) for the PC cooler.

I currently have the OEM Z06/Z-51 PS cooler and have never had an issue with my PS pump or fluid.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how hot the fluid actually gets, but after a run I have measured the outside of the tank at around 220F using an infrared pyrometer (which isn't the most accurate way, but it's one data point).
Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Jake99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure, but I've heard the Turnone pumps resolve any issues.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Yes they're the "go-to" place for any rebuild needs. I'm contemplating a new radiator/cooler setup and may use the radiator for the PS cooling and delete the stand-alone cooler.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

If my coolant was getting to 220° I would not put additional heat into it. I would get a larger PS cooler and position it in cool air, not behind the radiator where I see some. If you upgrade the radiator so coolant temps are lower then it would be a possibility. There doesn't have to be much delta between the two for cooling to take place. Without knowing PS temp, 220° coolant could be heating the PS.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
If my coolant was getting to 220° I would not put additional heat into it. I would get a larger PS cooler and position it in cool air, not behind the radiator where I see some. If you upgrade the radiator so coolant temps are lower then it would be a possibility. There doesn't have to be much delta between the two for cooling to take place. Without knowing PS temp, 220° coolant could be heating the PS.
Which is why I'm trying to determine PS temp

220 coolant temp is pretty standard racing in the summer around here. That's using a stock radiator with water and water wetter, no AC blocking it, and a 16" Spal fan behind it.

Get notified of new replies

To How hot does PS fluid get? Liquid-liquid enclosed cooler work for PS?

Quick Reply: How hot does PS fluid get? Liquid-liquid enclosed cooler work for PS?