Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Base Brake Budget Recommendations (Z06?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
michaelmyers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Base Brake Budget Recommendations (Z06?)

Hi All,

I was wondering what would be the best brake budget recommendation for my 2006 C6 A6? I might do some track days throughout the year, but its mainly my daily driver. Should I just upgrade my rotors and pads, or get GS/Z06 brake upgrade? Will upgraded rotors and pads hold at the track or not? The price is a big difference staying base rotor/pad upgrade. I'm thinking of getting the front GS or Z06 calipers, with aftermarket rotors, pads, and stainless brake lines first. I will be getting wider wheels to fit any type of brake upgrade as well. Thanks

Kenny

Last edited by michaelmyers; 09-17-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I would suggest appropriate pads and high temp fluid first - replace rotors if they are worn.

At some point you will overwhelm the stock brakes and end up w/ fast wear rates but until that point the OE type brake parts are pretty cheap and work very well for a floating caliper setup.

Don't fall for the combo pad idea. Get the street pads that match how you street drive and track pads that match your track setup/tire choice and skill level.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
michaelmyers
Instructor

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I would suggest appropriate pads and high temp fluid first - replace rotors if they are worn.

At some point you will overwhelm the stock brakes and end up w/ fast wear rates but until that point the OE type brake parts are pretty cheap and work very well for a floating caliper setup.

Don't fall for the combo pad idea. Get the street pads that match how you street drive and track pads that match your track setup/tire choice and skill level.
S my O.E Calipers on my 06 C6 Base will hold up pretty well ehh? I wonder why so many upgrade to Z06 or Big Brake kits if O.E holds up well? Thanks

Kenny
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 AM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by michaelmyers
S my O.E Calipers on my 06 C6 Base will hold up pretty well ehh? I wonder why so many upgrade to Z06 or Big Brake kits if O.E holds up well? Thanks

Kenny
The more track time the more you start to eat up the stock parts. You drive faster and harder. My stock 06 z51front pads use to last a couple of years with RFlats. Ran through a set in 3 events this year. Now I use HawkDTC 70 frt pads $250.00. Hope that helps.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmyers

Kenny
Some need it - some like the looks - feel does improve but all in all you will buy several sets of expensive tires before you grossly overpower the brakes with your driving.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 AM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have c6z calipers front and rear and its legit. I feel it has more stopping power then my stock c5 set up.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:37 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You can buy pad compounds for the stock brakes that have enough stopping power to overwhelm the grip of an R-comp tire.

I used the stock calipers on my base C6 until they fatigued and the pad taper was unmanageable.

You are correct in assuming you will need new wheels -- I don't know of any worthy options that fit under the base C6 stock wheels.

I didn't see brake ducting on your list -- that is cheaper than calipers and provides a very noticeable difference no matter what caliper you have.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Start with track pads (switching them before/after events) and good fluid. After a few events, add brake ducts. It'll be a while before you really need to go with an aftermarket kit, and it will be mainly for ease of pad replacement and pad costs, as the OEM system is pretty good.

Stay with street tires at first. Only go to r compounds or slicks after you've really mastered the driving thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Start with fluid, break cooling ducts and a dedicated trak pad your stcok caliper is fine for now. I would use the XP10 front and the XP8 rear to start and get a set of Carbotech 1521 for street use. This will aloow you to swap pads back and forth with no problem on the same rotor because all of Carbotech compounds are compatiable with each other.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
fred_S
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Start with fluid, break cooling ducts and a dedicated trak pad your stcok caliper is fine for now. I would use the XP10 front and the XP8 rear to start and get a set of Carbotech 1521 for street use. This will aloow you to swap pads back and forth with no problem on the same rotor because all of Carbotech compounds are compatiable with each other.
Did exactly as Adam advised and couldn't be more happy with the performance. I was also amazed how gentle the pads are on my DBA4000 rotors

Fred
Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Do Not spend big bucks on a BBK and new wheels / tires at this stage of the game. Run your first event or two stock, just make sure you have enough pad - more than 1/2 thickness. Once you start to get a little faster, light mods at first.
1) Dedicated track pad - Carbo XP-10 front / XP-8 in the rear is a good starter
2) High temp fluid like ATE Blue or Motul
3) Stainless braided flexible hoses
4) Cooling ducts
If you decide that you want to do this a lot, then the mod list is endless and can get very costly.
Welcome to the addiction.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Base Brake Budget Recommendations (Z06?)

Quick Reply: C6 Base Brake Budget Recommendations (Z06?)