Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto NT05 track performance vs. GY F1 supercar

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:11 PM
dbjeng
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Nitto NT05 track performance vs. GY F1 supercar

I've got an 02 Z06 that has always ridden on the factory GY F1 SC (non- runflat) tires. This is my driver and HPDE track car. I go to Barber and such like 2 times per year for some fun. Don't have a way to have separate track and street tires. Tire wear not a real issue to me other than the GY SC tires are waaaaay too expensive now-a-days and only so so on the track. I normally run on dry track days so I don't want to get too wound up in wet/dry issue - dry track days are the days I want to go fast - it does need to be safe for all street use except snow - we don't get any.

I read at (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html) where Zenak recommended the Firestone wide ovals but at this site (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ide-ovals.html) I found a pretty definitive answer that they handle good but are slower than the GY SC tires by 2-5 seconds depending on who you are reading.

Now, I really don't want to go slower. My GY, in the factory original sizes of 265/40-17 & 295/35-18 don't have enough front bite - so, I am already planning to go to 275/40s on the front.

My question, front the 1st post mentioned, does anyone have same track comparisons for the GY SC and the Nitto NT05?

Zenak also mentions Kumho Ecsta XS and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (but w/ reservations about heating up).

Any other tires that I can run both street and track I'd love to hear about as well. I'd appreciate any direct comparisons of track times from one tire to the other. Thanks.

Last edited by dbjeng; 09-17-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: more info - HPDE
Old 09-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 91 Posts

My experience with my '07 Z06 is that the NT05 have much better grip than the oem GYs. About 1 to 2 seconds per lap on my local road course.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
My experience with my '07 Z06 is that the NT05 have much better grip than the oem GYs. About 1 to 2 seconds per lap on my local road course.
NT 05 is great for track/street
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06TWT
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Lawdogg

Originally Posted by Z06TWT

Originally Posted by 63Corvette

I would be slightly leery of using them as an every day tire if you drive much in the wet. Wet roads they'll be fine (drove my C6Z this morning that way) but with standing water on the road they'd be an adventure.

NT05's are really, really hard to beat for the $.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:16 PM
theVcar
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dbjeng
I've got an 02 Z06 that has always ridden on the factory GY F1 SC (non- runflat) tires. This is my driver and HPDE track car. I go to Barber and such like 2 times per year for some fun. Don't have a way to have separate track and street tires. Tire wear not a real issue to me other than the GY SC tires are waaaaay too expensive now-a-days and only so so on the track. I normally run on dry track days so I don't want to get too wound up in wet/dry issue - dry track days are the days I want to go fast - it does need to be safe for all street use except snow - we don't get any.

I read at (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html) where Zenak recommended the Firestone wide ovals but at this site (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...ide-ovals.html) I found a pretty definitive answer that they handle good but are slower than the GY SC tires by 2-5 seconds depending on who you are reading.

Now, I really don't want to go slower. My GY, in the factory original sizes of 265/40-17 & 295/35-18 don't have enough front bite - so, I am already planning to go to 275/40s on the front.

My question, front the 1st post mentioned, does anyone have same track comparisons for the GY SC and the Nitto NT05?

Zenak also mentions Kumho Ecsta XS and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 (but w/ reservations about heating up).

Any other tires that I can run both street and track I'd love to hear about as well. I'd appreciate any direct comparisons of track times from one tire to the other. Thanks.
A lot of good recommended tires, I even considered a few of them. However not one mention of BS RE-11 in stock 06 coupe sizes. I ran EMT RF GY, FS WideOval RF, and the where all good. The RE-11 with the Johnny O sways fagettaboutit !
Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

My experience is the opposite of the others. I found well worn GY SC EMTs were faster than NT05s. The NT05s would get hot and greasy during a session while the EMTs just hung in there. However, I also got 26 track days and a bunch of autocrosses out of the NT05s.

Bill
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
My experience is the opposite of the others. I found well worn GY SC EMTs were faster than NT05s. The NT05s would get hot and greasy during a session while the EMTs just hung in there. However, I also got 26 track days and a bunch of autocrosses out of the NT05s.

Bill
Lower the air pressure at the start of the session.

I start with 31/26 with 275/40 on all 4 corners.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:38 AM
OzCop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use Firestone Wide Ovals on our 8 C5 Corvettes during our ride and drive track days at TMS's infield road course...best tire we have found over the past 8 years...we run the same tire, wet or dry...

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto NT05 track performance vs. GY F1 supercar

Quick Reply: Nitto NT05 track performance vs. GY F1 supercar