Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace or not replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
2K6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace or not replace

I need honest feedback including calling me an idiot for even asking...

I have a HPDE track day coming up and as I was prepping (bleeding brakes) I found a screw in my rear tire...

It's about 3" in on main tread so side wall is not an issue. BUT would this tire ever be safe if repaired (patched/plugged) for a track event or should I just purchase 2 new rears and sell these to someone using as a street tire only?

Tires are NT05's with about 1000 miles and 1 track event on them...

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K6Z06

I have a HPDE track day coming up and as I was prepping (bleeding brakes) I found a screw in my rear tire...

It's about 3" in on main tread so side wall is not an issue. BUT would this tire ever be safe if repaired (patched/plugged) for a track event or should I just purchase 2 new rears and sell these to someone using as a street tire only?

Thanks in advance!!!!!
This has been asked many times and you will hear "dont do it" answers and you'll hear "it should be ok" answers, I didnt see any responses where someone DID do a plug and it didnt hold up so I did a plug AND inside patch on a race tire and ran it for a full day. I went out first session did 4 laps and came back in to check pressure. It held fine.. I take temps after every session anyway and continued to do so.. at the end of the day it seemed to hold fine.

BUT..... I was a bag of nerves out there and didnt like the feeling that I was driving and thinking about my tire at the same time.

I got a new tire put on it asap just for piece of mind.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:06 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A proper tire patch on the inside on a good condition tire installed by someone who knows what they are doing will hold just fine.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K6Z06

Thanks in advance!!!!!
Michelin tires maintain their speed rating with one patch when done according to Michelin's procedure.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:01 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I agree with stevensa. But, like gettreal says, personally it would always be in the back of my mind. If it were the front, I would definitely swap it out.

I would probably take it to a tire place you trust and get their advice to be sure the damage is not worse than you think.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:05 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I ran 5 or 6 HDPE's with a patched PS2 and had zero problems. As long as the tire will hold consistent pressure and is balanced once it's back on the rim, you will be fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

It would be hard to drive with that in the back of my mind. I would replace it and just keep tire as a spare or swap out like you are thinking. It is only your car/life.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have personally patched tires with holes and used them on the track. If done properly they will hold just fine.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM
2K6Z06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all that posted. It seems like a repair would be sufficient although I ordered 2 new tires. I have listed the 2 335's for sale as I am sure someone will with more experience will be comfy with the patch...It will be a great deal to someone out there...I had the tire guy put a gauge on he tread and its still at 7/32 which is new from the factory...I am calling it 6/32 cuz there is no way after 1k miles and track event I still have full rubber...
Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally, I would replace the tire. Notice how every reply says "If done properly".

The last thing I want to think as I'm going around a corner at 115mph is will my tire hold? haha

I would just never feel comfortable with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace or not replace

Quick Reply: Replace or not replace