Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quantum spindle duct removal help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default quantum spindle duct removal help

Hi all, need some help with removing the quantum spindle duct from my C5.

Question one, reference first picture. Is this spacer seen between the hub and the spindle part of the quantum duct? I did not install the ducts so I can't be sure. If so no big deal I can take it off.

Question two, reference second picture. Where does this connector clip too? I assume the attachment point was removed to facilitate the brake duct installation.

Does anyone have a picture of how the connector is attached on a unmodified spindle assembly?

Thanks,

BTW, these quantum spindles ducts are going up for sale, here is a chance to get a jump on them...PM if interested.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

You need to undo the two caliper bolts. Then pull the calipers off. Next you need to pull the rotors. They may be seized so grab a rubber mallet and beat them off. Next just undo the bolts and pull the quantum system off.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I speak from working on my C6 so this may not be 100% accurate. The plate you see in the first picture is from the ducts and looks like it broke from where the flex hose from the DRM ductwork normally attaches. You'll need to remove the hub to get it off. This is a little more involved then described. After the rotor comes off there are three bolts to remove to take off the hub. One is located out of reach behind the lower ball joint. Others can chime in here but I take off the spindle to make the hub remover easier. Pop the upper and lower ball joints loose along with the tie rod and the spindle is free. From there you can work on the hub bolts and have leverage or use power tools (1/2" impact) to make it a quick job.

The connector was attached to a sheetmetal plate that fit where the duct plate is now -- there between the hub and the spindle and extending up to clip the connector to it. You can see the clip in the picture. You could replace that plate with the OEM part or just zip tie the connector so it doesn't hit the wheel or get pinched when turning.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Picture 1 is not part of the quantum kit. It looks like it is the bracket that originally supported the wires in picture 2. The installation instructions from Quantum call for trimming the bracket.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:01 AM
rgg16g
Racer

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
......It looks like it is the bracket that originally supported the wires in picture 2......
Thats it! Thanks dude. I found a pic from a previous job I did on the car (installing a brake kit) and found the image the confirms it.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:22 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You can zip tie the connector to the spindle or replace the ABS bracket, but whatever you do, don't simply remove the existing bracket that's been cut. Been there, done that. It won't work.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Originally Posted by rgg16g
BTW, these quantum spindles ducts are going up for sale, here is a chance to get a jump on them...PM if interested.
PM sent.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Picture 1 is not part of the quantum kit. It looks like it is the bracket that originally supported the wires in picture 2. The installation instructions from Quantum call for trimming the bracket.
Oops, missed that. Good catch with the right information.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Thanks all for helping out. I had removed all the bits and pieces without a problem, when I saw the cut heat shield (that's what GM calls it) I could not be sure if that was part of the kit or a factory part. I normally do all the wrenching on my car but this time I had a local shop do the brake ducts, since I was pinched for time.

Found the parts from GM Parts House for $5 each, ordered two.

Will have a Hardbar T1 brake kit up for sale soon, excellent shape, low use, with pads, SS brake lines included. PM if interested.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rgg16g

Will have a Hardbar T1 brake kit up for sale soon, excellent shape, low use, with pads, SS brake lines included. PM if interested.
I am interested in the brakes. Send me pictures and price when you are ready to sell.

Charley

Get notified of new replies

To quantum spindle duct removal help

Quick Reply: quantum spindle duct removal help