Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012/09/01 Buttonwillow - SCCA T-1 National Races

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 2012/09/01 Buttonwillow - SCCA T-1 National Races

On Labor Day weekend, we made the trip to Buttonwillow for the final SCCA National Race of the season. Some of the usual suspects were there: Oli, Chuck, Bill, Al and I. Others were missing due to various vacations and heat aversion issues. Chuck had a slight lead in the Divisional Point standing over Oli. I was sitting in 6th place, with 1st out of reach after missing the first four races rehabbing my knee. However, 3rd was still a possibility with a strong showing. Temperatures were in the high 90's so it was going to be interesting to see how we (cars and drivers) would hold up.

I was also testing out a new data and video system, thanks to my new sponsor Race Keeper (http://race-keeper.com)! The system records two separate video streams and interlays GPS, accelerometer data and all the OBDII computer data into a single SD card. The system comes with the best data/video software I've used yet, and that includes Racepak, Chasecam and Traqmate. It was very intuitive and I spent very little time uploading the files, reading the data and creating the videos.

Saturday Race
I qualified 2nd next to pole sitter Chuck, with Bill, Oli and Al behind respectively. Chuck got the jump at the start and I trailed him by no more than 2 seconds the entire race. Somewhere in the race, Bill did an excellent impersonation of me and spun almost taking out Oli and bunch of Miata drivers. He'll have to chime in for that. The last lap got exciting when I late braked Chuck and got side by side with him at Star Mazda. On exit, Chuck slid into me, knocking me into the dirt. No damage, but ended up in 2nd place. Oli, Bill and Al would finish 3rd through 5th respectively.

Sunday Race
On Sunday, I qualified on pole position, with Chuck, Oli and Al behind respectively. Bill had to bail Sunday due after having some issues with his nuts. Chuck got the jump again on the start just like Saturday and led the first few laps, but I was on him and determined to get around him earlier this time. I thought I had him on lap 2, but Chuck pulled a great double pass taking back the lead. I would eventually get him on lap 4 and pull away. I finished 32 seconds ahead in 1st. It was a great way to end the National Race season. Chuck, Oli and Al would finish 2nd through 4th respectively.

With Chuck's pair of podium finishes, he took home the SoPac Points Championship, as well as the National Point Championship! Oli would finish in 2nd in and I was able to leap frog into 3rd for the SoPac season championship!

Last edited by jimtway; 09-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Those are awesome videos. I'm going to Buttonwillow this weekend for the second time. I already learned a couple things from your video.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:30 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ah, love to see race reports - will have to watch the video's tonight. You guys have a great time out there!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great race and videos! Congrats!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice racing.

I got my limit of white wings....mmmmm delicious.

Matt

Get notified of new replies

To 2012/09/01 Buttonwillow - SCCA T-1 National Races

Quick Reply: 2012/09/01 Buttonwillow - SCCA T-1 National Races