Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break fluid leak at homestead speedway

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 02:21 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Break fluid leak at homestead speedway

Running srf fluid bled 3 days prior. No problems. Hoosiers & pfc pads 03/01. First session out pedal gets real spongy I come in to bleed and theres a big puddle of brake fluid under diff area. Seems to be coming from a brake line structure that is between 2 nuts. Looked like an elongated nut 1-1/4" long. Tried to tighten the nuts above and below this structure but they weren't loose. What is this structure and how much is it to replace? I did not have any ABS dash lights. Thx for ur helP in advance.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rake-line.html
Old 09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

I have ss stop tech lines but the leak is before the hard line that then connects to the GM rubber line
Old 09-10-2012, 11:22 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Rob that guy had a different issue.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi Steve

Yes, that guy had a different issue, but there's a picture in that thread of the area you're talking about:

That part you're talking about is simply a coupler. There are 2 hard lines coming from the front (master cylinder).

One goes directly to a clip that holds it in place for the flexible brake hose to connect to it and the left rear caliper.

The other attaches to that coupler, which then connects to another length of hard line that goes underneath the differential and over to where the brake hose for the right rear caliper then connects to it.

If you have a leak from the area of that coupler unit, and the Flare nuts are tight, I don't think the leak would be coming from that coupler itself. If it hasn't been loosened, I think it's very unlikely that the leak would be coming from that coupler or the nuts that connect the lines to it.

However, there could possibly have been some flexing of the hard lines somewhere in that area, or some damage to a line from track debris. Or the heat from the exhaust that goes right by there as it goes up and over the rear axle in that area could have weakened the tubing and allowed it to split somewhere back in that area.

I think you're going to have to lift the car, get under there and watch the area, have a helper push the brake pedal to pressurize the system, and try to see exactly where the fluid is leaking from - one side or the other of that coupler itself, or from a split in the brake line somewhere back near the coupling.

Good luck!!

Bob
Old 09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
Rob that guy had a different issue.
That guy was me, and like BEZ06 mentioned there are multiple pictures and part #s in that thread that may help you out.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:27 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Thanks bob. Drove the car out from garage to dealer it was quite hairy as I approached the rear fence. The e brake really sucks! Get this on same 4 laps that the leak happened I got a small puncture right in the middle of a brand new Heat cycled R6! oh did I mention that one of my properly inflated deep threaded trailer tires exploded en route to the track! What a freakin day. I came home thought I'd take the 69 camaro out for dinner and it wouldn't start just clicking! What!

Get notified of new replies

To Break fluid leak at homestead speedway

Quick Reply: Break fluid leak at homestead speedway