Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track without JL4?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:34 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track without JL4?

Do any of you guys run c5s on the track without competition mode? How important is it? Does it really help times that much?

I just realized that my c5 does not have active handling. I could have sworn that I had seen it on the DIC before... Kind of disappointed. I do not have any immediate plans to make it a track car, but I would like to do a few HPDEs a year.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:45 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

For a beginner active handling might be of some help on track. Most drivers with mid to upper level experience turn the system off while on track. Not having AH on your car will not be a problem. Take that thing to the track and enjoy a HPDE or three !!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

No 97 had active handling, early 98s didn't have it and it was optional in later 98, 99 and 00. There are a fair number of C5s without it. I tracked my 97 extensively and didn't know what it was so didn't miss it. When I got my 03 I had it and played with extensively to see what it could do and whether it could be an advantage. First, it can do things a human can't do since we have no way to put just one brake on. Second, if you drive like a fool with it on it will make you look like an even bigger fool. If you drive smooth it won't activate most of the time. It can hinder some types of drivers but most good drivers hardly ever activate it. Third, there can be times on the track where it will save your bacon. Not because of anything you did but because of something somebody else did. That is where that braking one wheel comes in to play big time. Fourth, if you learn how it works you can figure out how to make it work for you based on certain situations since again it can do things a human can't do. There are ways to make it help you accelerate off from slow speed corners very rapidly without losing the tail of the car. Once I spent a couple of years playing with it on and off I switched it off and left it that way most of the time. Still leave it off on the 08 but sometimes when I forget I don't even know I forgot to turn it off.

Bill
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like leaving it on if its raining and seeing if I can drive smoothly enough to keep it from doing anything. If the track is just damp/parts of it dry, or completely dry of course I leave it all off. '03 z by the way.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Raiku898
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. Thanks for the responses. I am a beginner right now, but I'm glad I didn't completely screw up. I guess there are plenty of cars out there without many driver aids.

Get notified of new replies

To Track without JL4?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track without JL4?