Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier or Michelin

Old 09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier or Michelin

so who has used both, which has better grip initially and after heat cycles (ie: Hoosiers last ? cycles but lost performance after how many cycles and this compares to Michelins?) who gets how many heat cycles out of each, which are the best back for $
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I've been running 315/30-18 345/35-18 R6 setup but am due for new tires so I've been reading the threads on the Michelin slicks. Looks like most folks are reporting much longer life with the Michelin (45 sessions) and better grip so that's pretty compelling.

From comparing the measurements is looks like I will end up losing a bit of tread width and the rears are almost an inch taller with a 30/65 and 31/71 setup. Its this added rear diameter that worries me with the potential for rubbing, throwing off the AH, changing the rake of the car, and last making the gearing even taller.

At this point I'll probably end up with another set of Hoosiers unless Michelin comes out with a closer size but am interested in what folks have to say.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

which are the best back for $
Scrubs from GT tires in Wisconsin
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,071 Likes on 643 Posts

[QUOTE=Poor-sha;1581758126] 30/65 and 31/71 setup. QUOTE]

I though they had a 31/68/18? I just thought I saw that on a C6Z06 at one time?

We ran the Michelins on the old car and the performance gain was great. 6 seconds a lap over R888's at NJMP Thunderbolt no chicane. We mowed through one scrub Michelin tire per day, 2 drivers, advanced run groups for both, I had a passenger 95% of the time, 8 sessions per day.

I run the GT-O Continentals 31/71/19 rear without much rubbing on the C6 now. That's the same overall diameter as the Michelin. Just a shorter sidewall than the 31/71/18 Michelin would have. Jury is still out on their performance. I will have a better idea after next weekend. For some reason it gives me comfort in knowing they run them on cars similar to ours in weight and power. If I were to buy the Michelin I would be wanting the tires they run in the Viper Cup series.

I have had no AH TC issues whatsoever with a 2.1 inch size difference front to rear. I drive with the nannies off, the other driver leaves everything on. Still no issues.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Scrubs from GT tires in Wisconsin
I concur
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Scrubs also from John Berger tires
Old 09-09-2012, 04:15 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd really like to try the Michelins as well so will be watching this thread. Right now the best bang for the buck for me are the Conti GTR's from GT Tires. At $400 set, I am getting about 20 really good sessions (4 days) out of them. I had the Conti GTO's which are good as well but I have seen at least 1 second difference consistently by going to the GTR's. I'm on my 2nd set of the GTRs and have 2 more sets in my garage waiting.

Now back on topic...From the guys I have talked to at the track, the Michelins seemed to get really good press, not sure about 45 sessions but they are getting pretty good wear reviews. I also heard (take it as 2nd hand info) that the Hoosier R80's are fast tires... but they wear quick, that really isnt a valid data point, I know, I wish I had more data myself.

If you havent tried the GTR's.... try them, they are fast

Get notified of new replies

To Hoosier or Michelin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hoosier or Michelin