Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro WiFi feedback

Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default GoPro WiFi feedback

Anyone use one yet? thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:43 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Yep! love it!!! IF!!! you are using it with a Hero2. If not don't waist your money. It has very limited capabilities with the Hero it only turns it on and off and doesn't do that very well on the Hero. But with the Hero 2, everything that is shown on the front of the camera is shown on the screen on the remote and you can change everything from the remote. The only draw back is the battery life of the remote and its wifi receiver on the back of the camera. They only last about 3 hours. So at the track I turn the remote and WIFI receiver off when I am not using it. One really nice thing is that when the camera is on and recording, a red light flashes on the remote so you know what the camera is doing all of the time. Also they are supposed to come out soon with software so you can use you cell phone to do all of the same things as the remote and stream to the phone or computer from the camera. So far I'm happy I bought it other than the battery life.
I also use it for snow skiing and it is great not to have take off my helmet to turn the camera on and off and know what it is doing all of the time. JD
Old 09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Yep! love it!!! IF!!! you are using it with a Hero2. If not don't waist your money. It has very limited capabilities with the Hero it only turns it on and off and doesn't do that very well on the Hero. But with the Hero 2, everything that is shown on the front of the camera is shown on the screen on the remote and you can change everything from the remote. The only draw back is the battery life of the remote and its wifi receiver on the back of the camera. They only last about 3 hours. So at the track I turn the remote and WIFI receiver off when I am not using it. One really nice thing is that when the camera is on and recording, a red light flashes on the remote so you know what the camera is doing all of the time. Also they are supposed to come out soon with software so you can use you cell phone to do all of the same things as the remote and stream to the phone or computer from the camera. So far I'm happy I bought it other than the battery life.
I also use it for snow skiing and it is great not to have take off my helmet to turn the camera on and off and know what it is doing all of the time. JD

I agree with all of the above, I have it as well and it makes it so easy to use now, before it was a pain with you are all harnessed in or if you turned it on before getting all buckled in you would have 10 minute of useless grid and pit video. I don't even turn it on now until I'm staging and I can see if its recording right on the remote. Then the remote goes into the Ashtray where its velcro'd securely.

I bought it thinking that the software was available so you can see what the camera sees on a tablet or phone but it isn't available yet. The battery life is as stated 2-3 hours but if you charge everything the night before, because you can turn it on and off at all the right moments, it will actually last the day.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks. I have the previous version i would be happy if it just turned mine on and off in my sea kayak. I see the wrist WiFi is waterproof. Guess I'll get a new HERO2.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:07 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on getting a Hero 2 for this reason and using my Hero 1 as an alternate view from the race car during a race. The Traqmate already has the ability to control a Hero so this will make an alternate view easier to do while all strapped in. I already use RaceRender which makes inlaying video/data a breeze.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:51 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

I use it with the hero and it is great. It can switch between different modes in addition to on/off function.

Get notified of new replies

To GoPro WiFi feedback

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GoPro WiFi feedback