Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Owner in Denver Area With Brake Ducts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default C4 Owner in Denver Area With Brake Ducts?

Hi there. I am looking for an example car I can look at for brake ducting. I have seen some pictures on this site, but I cannot figure out how to use the quantum ducts I have without limiting steering range of motion, save sawing large holes in the plastic between the engine compartment and the wheel well. It seems like some folks have used two 2 inch ducts on a custom duct solution they have made.

I have the DRM Grand National Wilwood 6 piston set up and the altered bias spring and the fronts are still getting too hot and consequently eating brake pads at a very high rate.

BTW, the car is a '91 Z07 producing approximately LT4 power due to mods.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Calvin
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Ducts

Calvin,
I can e mail you photos of my system, or you can come to Kansas City. I'll be back home in a few days to take some photos. Remind me by Sunday if you don't hear from me. PM me your e mail address.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

What I came up with...

I never took temps. Before ducts I had all sorts of brake heat issues. After the ducts I have not had even a hint of a problem.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine look exactly the same as above, except I used the fog light holes. Just use a giant zip tie to hold it to the upper a-arm.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

How do the ones that use the scoops on the front spoiler work? I want to get some track time next summer with my 93, but I worry about the brakes and having NO cooling air. A 3300lb car and 12" base brakes even with good pads and Motul RBF 600 fluid, I still want some air. Keep in mind I'll be on street tires and it is a street car and mostly stock.

Heck, I boiled FRESH DOT3 at an auto-x drivers school.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:24 PM
calvinlc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
What I came up with...

I never took temps. Before ducts I had all sorts of brake heat issues. After the ducts I have not had even a hint of a problem.

Which ducts were those that you used on the side? Also, Do you have a limited turning radius due to the hoses? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:27 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by calvinlc
Which ducts were those that you used on the side? Also, Do you have a limited turning radius due to the hoses? Thanks!
I made the ducts myself using some generic NACA ducts and lexan.

With the big 315s on the front they very barely rub when turned to the lock but it doesn't hurt anything... just pushes the ducting out of the way a bit. After 4 years, no holes rubbed or any other damage caused by it. Might not want to do it on a street car, but it's no problem at all on a track car.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Owner in Denver Area With Brake Ducts?

Quick Reply: C4 Owner in Denver Area With Brake Ducts?