Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Anyone use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Putting a LS1 crate motor in my father's Panoz. Have a few options on clutches, don't need anything fancy as it'll only make around 330 rwhp. I have one of these (http://www.allreplacement.com/product/3386) sitting on my work bench right now for $0.00. It's only 2lbs heavier than a Fidanza aluminum unit. I also have an old 2001 Z06 stock pressure plate and disc from an old car.

I was thinking of using them together for a grand total of $0.00, but I'd rather spend the money and do it right/once vs. installing crap.

Thoughts? Internet browsing says:

1. Chromoly is far more prone to warp when heated.

2. Chromoly is more brittle than billet steel or aluminum.

3. Everything off of eBay is 100% garbage.

4. All you guys are fools for buying expensive stuff when it's made in China anyway and I've had no problems with mine.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM
NASAblue
Racer

Haven't used it, but I believe F1 products are offered for sale by reputable BMW parts source such as Turner and bimmerworld.

SFI Rated, light weight without having to having an aluminum center insert that I would imagine is more prone to warping though I have never had trouble with mine.

Saving rotating mass on the car will help it up through the rpms. It seems well thought out with the drilled holes around the perimeter to save weight at the outer most edges where it matters most.

No one can make blanket statements about ebay: good, bad, or otherwise you must know your product, do the research, make an informed decision, just like you were talking to a "guy" at the local shop.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

No firsthand experience, but when i was on the bmw forums, a lot of people used those flywheels.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Any stories of component failure or warping floating around?

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?

Quick Reply: Anyone use a F1 Racing eBay special chromoly flywheel?