Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Default Newbie here

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this part of the forum, and did my first autoX at Carlisle list week. I've now been bitten by the bug and want to learn as much as I can. I have a couple if initial questions .
When does one pull the trigger on buying a helmet, and what to buy? I tried to do some research but I can't get any definitive answers. I see reference to motorcycle helmets as being "good enough" , then other recommendations to use automotive specific helmets. I don't know what the standards are as well.
Secondly I understand one must use special brake fluid. Where does one get It and where to have it installed?
Thanks for now!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

If you intend to do HPDE or racing you'll need a Snell-rated helmet SA-2005 or SA-2010. They're only good for 10 years so a 2005 would expire in 2015. I got the Bell Sport SA 2010.

I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on brake fluid. I have Motul RBF600 in my car now.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:10 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to the fun!

Get a SA rated helmet. You may get away with a motorcycle helmet at AX but very few car clubs would allow one on a track. You can buy online (OG Racing, Racers Warehouse, etc) or find a shop in your area to try on. New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville has a "pro" shop that carries helmets and most other things you might need (fluid for example). Call ahead to make sure they are open however (they only open when there is some event at the track).

You'll want a DOT 4 rated brake fluid. Buy online is usually best way as it can be hard to find at a local shop. There are many, many brands. Motul RBF600 and ATE Superblue are two popular fluids. I get Motul thru Amazon. As far as changing the fluid - best to learn to do it yourself because its something you will do frequently if you really get into this sport.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've also got a Bell Sport SA 2010, and it's a great choice. And DOT 4 fluid and brake pads (Carbotech, for example) are essential if you are going to track your car.

If you're just interested in autocross, though, your stock brakes and fluid are just fine.

Jim

Last edited by JiminVirginia; 09-04-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 09-04-2012, 09:05 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Ahhhhhhh - you are hooked!!! Just don't blame me!!!
I agree w/ the above advice for Snell"SA" rated helmets. Although the events run under NCCC rules will allow helmets w/Snell "M" (motorcycle) rating, other groups may require "SA" rating - which tests the impacts more related to car impacts and roll bars - it also requires fire proofing. The SA rating will ensure that you can move to high speed/HPDE, driving schools, or participate at events run by other groups.

I'm not sure that you would need DOT 4 brake fluid for AX, especially as a beginner, but . . .

Lots of great info on this forum and a great place to get answers and advice. Check the 'sticky' on AX and road racing above.

Find a good race store and try different makes, models, and sizes - make sure it fits properly and is comfortable !!

Good luck,
Mike
Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chasboy
When does one pull the trigger on buying a helmet, and what to buy?
Are you wanting to do other driving events ie. HPDEs or just autox? If you're just doing autox then you might want a less expensive helmet than if you were going to do an HPDE. It depends on how much you like your head.

Secondly I understand one must use special brake fluid. Where does one get It and where to have it installed?
Thanks for now!
You want fresh clean brake fluid you do not need a high dollar fluid at this point in your driving career.

Welcome to your new addiction.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:21 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Ahhhhhhh - you are hooked!!! Just don't blame me!!!
I agree w/ the above advice for Snell"SA" rated helmets. Although the events run under NCCC rules will allow helmets w/Snell "M" (motorcycle) rating, other groups may require "SA" rating - which tests the impacts more related to car impacts and roll bars - it also requires fire proofing. The SA rating will ensure that you can move to high speed/HPDE, driving schools, or participate at events run by other groups..

Find a good race store and try different makes, models, and sizes - make sure it fits properly and is comfortable !!
Good luck,
Mike
Sorry Mike, but you are partially responsible, as well as Roc. I do plan to do the Museum's driving experience next June at VIR, but I don't know what I will be doing from there. Also I've seen some acronyms I'm unsure about . What does HPDE stand for?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry Mike, but you are partially responsible, as well as Roc. I do plan to do the Museum's driving experience next June at VIR, but I don't know what I will be doing from there. Also I've seen some acronyms I'm unsure a.bout . What does HPDE stand for?
Sorry for the jargon - HPDE = High Performance Driving Experience (like the NCM @ VIR and other venues. Lots of clubs and organizations run these events, usually includes classroom sessions and in-car instructors for new folks, conducted at larger tracks and road courses. Usually run 4 sessions, 20-30 mins each across a day.

I'll pm you some info on our club's event at Pocono North course - not confirmed yet, but will be April or late May (Memorial day weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie here

Quick Reply: Newbie here