Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is going on...or what am I doing wrong

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 PM
heypal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What is going on...or what am I doing wrong

Now my ebcm did go out earlier in the day, cleaned the connections and started working again (02 z06) I was having no trouble in the am before the ebcm problem but this isn't the first time this has happened. Same corner if you need to look at longer videos let me know I can post them. Thanks in advance all oh and tires are r888's and this was on my 2 or 3rd lap.

Last edited by heypal; 09-02-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:49 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Your description on the video page said you were braking in a straight line, but it doesn't look that way to me. Look at the position of your head in the mirror at the 8sec mark (when it snapped loose) and again at the 20sec mark (when you're going straight). There's a big difference. I think you simply had too much brake input for the attitude of the car.

BTW - the link didn't work for me. I had to find it.
Here it is:

Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
heypal
Pro

Originally Posted by sperkins
Your description on the video page said you were braking in a straight line, but it doesn't look that way to me. Look at the position of your head in the mirror at the 8sec mark (when it snapped loose) and again at the 20sec mark (when you're going straight). There's a big difference. I think you simply had too much brake input for the attitude of the car.

BTW - the link didn't work for me. I had to find it.
Here it is:

First thank you for fixing the video for me sorry about that. I don't know if this helps but I was watching the left side and looking ahead and not to the right hand turn coming up, I'm told in this turn you ride all the way out to the left side and apex in after you see a water tower in the distance come in front of you. But its super easy to go off track if you don't watch the track...That's just me watching the track. The video below was my first session of the day and my new record of 1:38.7 from my previous of 1:40. First lap is 1:39 next is 1:38 and the last is me just getting around the track to the pits. But I think my head is in the same position. Let's be honest it's probably me I've only been doing HPDE's since February. If it is me all the advice is welcome.

Last edited by heypal; 09-03-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:43 PM
heypal
Pro

Oh and the EBCM went out if you can see right where I spun out later in the day. You can see the lights pop on then me clearing them on the straight lol then my damn buddy passed me which I had to chase him hahah.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What tires? and age of the tires?

almost looks like the rear tires, just gave up the grip and let go.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 PM
heypal
Pro

My front tires from December and have 7 track days on them (they are gone car was pushing all day). The rears are take offs from a vendor here and I've only done 3 track days with them. Rears felt good psi all around was 38 hot on Toyo R888s. I had a fellow member and bad *** driver Ryan throw this beast around the track and he stated the rear brakes have too much bite could that cause this. Hawk DTC 70 front 60 rear.

Last edited by heypal; 09-12-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not real familiar with that track, but I think your off line. You might have picked up marbles or dust where no one drives.

Steve A.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 AM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah... it did the old c5 rear dance for me too...

fronts were actually shot and the rears were new... felt like pad proportioning, but jerry said he had less aggressive pad in the rears.. maybe it was ebcm, but id try a little less pad in the back next time..

oh and MATCHING tires

thanks for letting me drive it around.. it was nice to be in a stockish c5 again.

as for your driving, looks good for only tracking for a few months.. looks like youre doing the typical 'early turn in' in a few places, especially nine... great save though.

everything you described, i can confirm.. (old tires in front, so bad you could barely throttle steer to make up for it.. sticky clutch.. and the rear wiggle) so you have a good feel for what the car is doing.. next time out, i'll get you down to a 33 i cant believe the track completely went away by lunch time.

here's basically the same car but with good tires.

thanks again.. it was a fun day.

Last edited by ryan0; 09-12-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
heypal
Pro

Originally Posted by ryan0
nah... it did the old c5 rear dance for me too...

fronts were actually shot and the rears were new... felt like pad proportioning, but jerry said he had less aggressive pad in the rears.. maybe it was ebcm, but id try a little less pad in the back next time..

oh and MATCHING tires

thanks for letting me drive it around.. it was nice to be in a stockish c5 again.

as for your driving, looks good for only tracking for a few months.. looks like youre doing the typical 'early turn in' in a few places, especially nine... great save though.

everything you described, i can confirm.. (old tires in front, so bad you could barely throttle steer to make up for it.. sticky clutch.. and the rear wiggle) so you have a good feel for what the car is doing.. next time out, i'll get you down to a 33 i cant believe the track completely went away by lunch time.

here's basically the same car but with good tires.

thanks again.. it was a fun day.
Thanks again for everything. I'm trying to get tires before ACS or AAA speedway whatever its called, if your in the area hit me up I'll be more then happy to let you drive it. And Willow if you can get me down to a 33 I'd feel like a race car driver. It was a great day, it was one of those days that I'll remember thats forsure and how bad the track let go at the end of the day was amazing to say the least. Thanks again man oh and I've watched your video probably 10 times now lol.

Get notified of new replies

To What is going on...or what am I doing wrong

Quick Reply: What is going on...or what am I doing wrong