Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base or Z51 for track day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 PM
mad99
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base or Z51 for track day?

I'm looking for my first Corvette, for use as both a street car and for track day/HPDE events. Probably a 2008 or 2009. The C6 obviously has incredible performance for the dollar, and seems like a relatively reliable platform for track use.

My question is whether the Z51 performance option is worthwhile. I know it has bigger brake rotors, different springs/shocks/anti-roll bars, some extra cooling, and different gear ratios.

But most of those items can be upgraded anyway, and if you get more serious about tracking, you would probably upgrade even the Z51 suspension. As another example, I've read that some owners change Z51 brakes back to base brakes because the rotors are cheaper and are less crack-prone.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who track their base or Z51 Vette.

I should also mention handling balance and "feel", and durability are more important to me than outright speed.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving a 2006 w/Z51 and while the option was a great thing at first it seem less so now. I have replaced springs and shocks and will probably go for the brakes next year. You have a point about the price of the smaller rotors vs the special Z51 size, the cost difference is there. Doubt that at my skill level that the difference between the rotor diameters matters as much as learning to use them well. I do however like the slightly different gearing, it feels better off the line but that's mostly a street use benefit as mine is also DD. Overall, it felt like it was more directed at autocross activities.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Another Z51 owner here. Honestly, the price difference of a base C6 versus a C6 Z51 is not that much. If you can land a Z51 model in your price range, I say go for it. It'll start you off with the mods you'd have to generally pay full price for when getting into HPDE and track days.

If you weren't planning on tracking the car, I'd say just get a base C6. Since you are, you might as well have a starter track package with the Z51, then work your way up.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:39 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

The price difference is negligible for a used car. It gives you a full complement of coolers lie diff cooler, transmission cooler, etc., not just engine oil cooler. The shorter gearing is also very important at some of the tracks when the regular 2nd gear is too short, and the regular 3rd is too tall.

It gives you something trackable out of the box. It has room for improvement especially in terms of engine cooling, but it's still a much better platform to start.

I do own a GS myself, but I recently drove my brother's '08 Z51 with only race pads/fluid at a local track, and it held up pretty good except engine oil temp. For a starter, though, it might not even be an issue for a while.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
The price difference is negligible for a used car. It gives you a full complement of coolers lie diff cooler, transmission cooler, etc., not just engine oil cooler. The shorter gearing is also very important at some of the tracks when the regular 2nd gear is too short, and the regular 3rd is too tall.

It gives you something trackable out of the box. It has room for improvement especially in terms of engine cooling, but it's still a much better platform to start.

I do own a GS myself, but I recently drove my brother's '08 Z51 with only race pads/fluid at a local track, and it held up pretty good except engine oil temp. For a starter, though, it might not even be an issue for a while.
Z51 is a good idea
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
The price difference is negligible for a used car. It gives you a full complement of coolers lie diff cooler, transmission cooler, etc., not just engine oil cooler.
I have a base model that I've upgraded. If the Z51 has a diff cooler, then it wins hands down. Besides suspension and brakes I needed to add an engine oil cooler. Adding a diff cooler is cost prohibitive as the pump is in the tranny so I'd need to replace my tranny or get a $2000 standalone cooler.

Base coupe springs, shocks and sways are pretty useless at any track with elevation changes. You will be on bump rubber or wearing holes in your fender liners pretty quickly.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Why wouldn't you just look for a C6Z06? It's already setup with track mods. Just add tires/pads. Get an 06 or 07 instead of an 08 or 09
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mad99
I'm looking for my first Corvette, for use as both a street car and for track day/HPDE events. Probably a 2008 or 2009. The C6 obviously has incredible performance for the dollar, and seems like a relatively reliable platform for track use.

My question is whether the Z51 performance option is worthwhile. I know it has bigger brake rotors, different springs/shocks/anti-roll bars, some extra cooling, and different gear ratios.

But most of those items can be upgraded anyway, and if you get more serious about tracking, you would probably upgrade even the Z51 suspension. As another example, I've read that some owners change Z51 brakes back to base brakes because the rotors are cheaper and are less crack-prone.

I'm especially interested in hearing from people who track their base or Z51 Vette.

I should also mention handling balance and "feel", and durability are more important to me than outright speed.

Thanks for any suggestions!
If you plan on running Hoosiers then I would consider a GS or Z06 with a dry-sump. I had a Z51 for about 3 years and added a accusump when i started running hoosiers.

An older Z06 (06-07) would be a better option..

I would not even consider a base over a Z51...the Z51 is very durable for the track unless you start to holding some G's above 1 in long corners. I ran Kumho XS, Nittos, Stock tires without any issues
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z51 all the way unless you are willing to do some suspension modes. The base is great on the highway and back roads, very good ride and handle just about anything you are willing to throw at it. But on the track brake dive is scary and body roll is excessive.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
mad99
4th Gear

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions. It's very helpful to hear specific information from guys who actually own and track these cars!

It does sound like the Z51 is a good "starter package" for track use, and I can upgrade as necessary later once I learn what the car can benefit from. That makes more sense than upgrading a bunch of stuff on a base model before I have any experience with the car. And yes, the Z51 is a bargain for upgrades I would want right away.

One reason I asked if the Z51 is that beneficial is that while it doesn't seem to add much to the price of a used car (and what a deal at $1700 new!), it limits the selection of cars I have to choose from. And of course sellers don't always mention if a car is a Z51. My technique is to look at pics for drilled rotors (of course F55 mag suspension have them too), and then try to see if it has the F55 button on the console. And then ask if I can't tell from pics.

Good point too about the gearing. That's something that isn't practical to upgrade. Apparently the diff cooler too. Good info!

And thanks for pointing our the base suspension is not up to track use.

I don't plan on running Hoosiers, so I should be ok without a dry sump. Would be nice though.

And finally the C6Z06 option. I'd love to have one, but the prices are still higher, and on top of that many of the lower priced 06-07's have lots of miles. In the long run it might make more sense to spend more and start with a Z06 instead of modding a Z51 over time, but lots of people upgrade the Z06 too, and the bigger consumables (tires, brakes, (oil?)) cost more.

Again, thanks for all the great info. I can't wait to get a C6 and hit the track!

Get notified of new replies

To Base or Z51 for track day?

Quick Reply: Base or Z51 for track day?