Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a 180 stat lower on track temps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Would a 180 stat lower on track temps?

Just wondering if this would affect my temps in the least. I've been running mid-high 220s, so nothing to get nervous about, just trying to maximize the factory system before upgrading to a bigger radiator. Going to cut some holes in the fan shroud and make a baffle between the chin spoiler/flap and radiator as well to further minimize air leakage. My way of thinking is that, on the street, the stat need only be partially cracked open to maintain 195. It's not a smart device, so it only opens X amount at any given temperature which isn't enough at the track. I don't care to hear opinions of thermostats and performance or gasoline/water content in my oil, just whether or not a 180 stat would lower on track temps. I have EFILive and already lowered my fan temps and can set them however I please. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Nope. Clean your radiator out to lower coolant temps
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Seal the radiator and open up the shroud. Save your cash for a big radiator.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Cleaning it lowered coolant temps from 250. Not 100% surprised it has no effect on track.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Make sure the center air dam is locked into place (see my post in the other C5 cooling thread). You are about at max cooling system capacity if you are running 220 when pushing hard in a track event. Fans will not help since they can actually block air flow when running at speeds above 35 mph better to let them freewheel in the air flow. Get an early C5 fan shroud they have openings that let air out at speed and close at low speeds so the fan will still work efficiently. My 97 had this type of shroud my 03 didn't.

Thermostat only establishes the minimum temperature the cooling system will run at. If you are at 220 now a 180 will not lower it any more since the stock 195 is wide open and can't limit the temp to 195. Get a big radiator and an EOC and your engine and you will be happy. Until you get a bigger radiator sometimes running the heater will take away some of the engine heat but you will really suffer on a hot day.

Bill
Old 08-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

A lower temp thermostat will make it cooler for a short run but not change the highest temp after it's run awhile. I use a 160° thermostat and get the car cooled down between runs. It will stay cooler a little longer than a higher temp thermostat that way. It just gets max water circulating quicker.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Forgot about the heater trick, but there really only was the 1 track day where I would have entertained using it had the thought crossed my mind. Also never knew about the early fans having the trap doors. Long term I'm going to slap a big single fan on there (an unshrouded fan to increase airflow as you indicated), I might just save the factory shroud for another day after I see what the impact on coolant temp is of my EOC that will finally be done either today or tomorrow. I've got it behind the license plate, fully baffled and easily blocked for street use. Just trying to see how good I can get the factory system before upgrading, the better it is the better the bigger radiator will work. I believe the factory system will respond better with its lesser cooling capability and more easily show changes. Also, if you look between the air dam and AC/radiator, you'll see a decent spot for the air to leak through. going to seal that up at some point as well.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of the above but alas, a larger radiator is pretty much it. Running 220 at the track is pretty normal though.
I have a complete air ducting system, a drilled 160 Tstat, and I can still hit 230 on a humid day. One thing not mentioned here is water wetter. That can help and you should try it. Its a cheap mod.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Already done. Last track day I thinned down the coolant a bit with distilled water and added a bottle of water wetter. I did that and blocked off the Z06 screens at the same time and it kept it below 230. Trying the no buck mods first. I might not even spring for a radiator next year if my other planned small mods keep me safe. The cost of a Dewitts is the cost of a track weekend, and I choose track weekend for now.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Forgot about the heater trick, but there really only was the 1 track day where I would have entertained using it had the thought crossed my mind. Also never knew about the early fans having the trap doors. Long term I'm going to slap a big single fan on there (an unshrouded fan to increase airflow as you indicated), I might just save the factory shroud for another day after I see what the impact on coolant temp is of my EOC that will finally be done either today or tomorrow. I've got it behind the license plate, fully baffled and easily blocked for street use. Just trying to see how good I can get the factory system before upgrading, the better it is the better the bigger radiator will work. I believe the factory system will respond better with its lesser cooling capability and more easily show changes. Also, if you look between the air dam and AC/radiator, you'll see a decent spot for the air to leak through. going to seal that up at some point as well.
If you go with an unshrouded fan you will lose cooling efficiency. The fan shroud ensures the air is pulled through the radiator Vs the from the gap between the radiator and the fan. May not be an issue at speed but at low speeds the fan will not cool the car. Unshrouded fans are almost always losers.

Bill
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Which is why I suggested ridiculously powerful fans as the only viable alternative. Only reason I'm on this train is because in another thread somebody actually did it and still had cold AC at idle. . . or so they say.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM
batone
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clean radiator and condensor, it is probably covered wth crap. Mine had Wal-mart bags and sonic cups stuck in there. Then get you a screen to cover the hole under the radiator to keep most of the trash out. I have some screens for sale on here if anyone needs/wants one. Just do a search for radiator screens.

Get notified of new replies

To Would a 180 stat lower on track temps?

Quick Reply: Would a 180 stat lower on track temps?