Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new Track Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Time for a new Track Video Camera

Looking for a contemporary all digital, HD camcorder with decent stabilization for use in the car. Will be mounted on my existing I/O Port mount. If the camera is something that you have had success integrating with data collection software, even better. From a cost perspective I wouldn't mind being in the sub $350 range.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:43 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

GoPro HD Hero (1 or 2)
Just need a different mount to connect to your IO port mount
Old 05-30-2012, 03:35 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
GoPro HD Hero (1 or 2)
Just need a different mount to connect to your IO port mount
I have a Hero 1 and would prefer the 2 for the external mic input. The tripod mount that you need to put it on your IO Port mount is only $7. I used one of the sticky mounts and have mine just behind the rearview mirror. It gives a good vantage point for looking out the front of the car.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:42 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GoPro and HATE it. It is a pain to start, aim and you are never sure it is doing what you want! Way too much of a pain for being at the track.

I found this and so far it is great and way easier to operate and the price is the best I've seen for a camera at this level AND it is RF Remote controlled and has an LCD screen to see how it is aimed....can't get any simpler than that!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Camera.html
Old 05-30-2012, 04:25 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I have a GoPro and HATE it. It is a pain to start, aim and you are never sure it is doing what you want! Way too much of a pain for being at the track.

I found this and so far it is great and way easier to operate and the price is the best I've seen for a camera at this level AND it is RF Remote controlled and has an LCD screen to see how it is aimed....can't get any simpler than that!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...on_Camera.html
Do you mind sharing a vid from this camera?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I have this:

Here's a review:

I got it from Chinavasion.com. It took about 8 days to arrive from Hong Kong.

I've only had a few days to experiment with it, but I've been very happy with the results so far. A brief blast around the backroads near my house produced excellent results. My only complaint was the sound level was very low and the mount and my dash often found a resonant frequency that caused some vibration.

I'm going to experiment with mounts and positions to eliminate the vibration.

I haven't tried the external mic to see if I can make the sound a little louder.

I also need to set up a YT account so I can post up some videos. I'll be out of school on June 8th, so I'll get cracking on posting some then.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:04 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I should have mention that I already have the GoPro Hero. It is a nice camera to stick anywhere, but does not provide the "normal" camcorder experience I am looking for in this next camera. Audio, for example, kinda sucks on the GoPro.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I am using the one traqmate recommends. Sony HDR cx110 or something like that. It is a regular HD video camer and can be used for family vacation, etc. it also syncs up with the traqmate system.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Here is a video using my HTC iphone and the trackmaster app. I think their is a way to do an overlay, but I haven't figured that out yet, but I was surprised by the clarity with the phone video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Old 06-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I have a GoPro and HATE it.
I with you. I'm amazed at how many people use this device and put up with it's unfriendly interface.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I am using an $110 Aiptec HD with a $30 wide angle lense. Records in 60fps at 720p which is what my 110" projector is. It also can use the bigger sd cards. Here is a quick vid - more of the lense as I don't know what resolution YT has it loaded as.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:45 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a fan of the gopro's, especially the hero 2. much easier than the regular hero. very good anti-vibration, not bad audio in general. I plan to experiment with the hero2 external mic in the future.

Here's my vid with a Hero2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbgxjCBQw8
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I am currently using the Flip Video camera that Cisco manufactured. They are currently closing out sales on them so you might be able to get one at a good price. I got my 8GB model last year for $78. It is stabilized and takes great videos but the zoom is limited. You can get a magnetic mount wide angle lens but mine falls off with just a soft bump. I have been able to synch them with my Trackmaster Data and Race Renderer Software. Here is a sample:

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a new Track Video Camera

Quick Reply: Time for a new Track Video Camera