Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upper A-arm bushings: when are they toast?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:21 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default upper A-arm bushings: when are they toast?

Hi Everyone,

I've seen some pics on here of control arm bushings and it seems that some folks say they should be replaced, others say they look near stock(new).

I understand the bushings will affect the alignment settings a bit, but if that's ok, when do they really have to go?

I have the car in shop now for check-out, but I'm not sure if he really knows the answer to this one.

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-29-2012, 07:28 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

usually theyll push out from the control arm. another indicator can be noise - over bumps or just during hard turns that put a lot of load on the upper bushings
Old 05-29-2012, 12:54 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
usually theyll push out from the control arm. another indicator can be noise - over bumps or just during hard turns that put a lot of load on the upper bushings
So essentially when you have metal-on-metal, that control arm will be a little loose and the suspension will just have too much play?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

not metal on metal - the rubber will still be there, but it will be shifted/off center. there are pictures buried somewhere on the site, but Im having a hard time finding them.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have never heard of anyone wearing out a set of A Arm bushings in normal driving, even high milage cars. Tracking or autoX ing a car will tend to push the bushings out of the arm on the top. Each side of the bushing has a "lip" that sits on the outside of the A Arm. If that lip is pulled into the arm and the other side is pushed away, it's time to replace.

Get notified of new replies

To upper A-arm bushings: when are they toast?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upper A-arm bushings: when are they toast?