Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRM Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default DRM Oil Cooler

I bought one from a forum member and started on the kit today.

For those that have this kit, did you route the lines between the motor mount and block?

I can easily route the lines over the mount and next to the exhaust (OEM) , but under is a bit tight.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My lines are mounted between the mount and block. I don't think you'd want them under the engine mount, too easy to get damaged that way.

Jay
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
My lines are mounted between the mount and block. I don't think you'd want them under the engine mount, too easy to get damaged that way.

Jay
I have the same kit and mounted between the engine and motor mount as per the DRM suggestion.

Ed
Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
gfacter
Pro

Thanks all,

I see where I need to run the lines now, it's a pita it seems.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
Thanks all,

I see where I need to run the lines now, it's a pita it seems.
It is, but not all that bad. I also taped the ends of the fittings with masking tape to keep them free of debris as I routed them. Good luck
Old 05-28-2012, 09:18 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
It is, but not all that bad. I also taped the ends of the fittings with masking tape to keep them free of debris as I routed them. Good luck
Once in I wrapped the braided lines in heater hose where they crossed a potential friction area.

Also, if you are looking to keep oil temps up while driving on the street, just press some aluminum foil across the front of the cooler. For me it raised my temps from 155 to 185 during highway use on the street.

Ed
Old 05-28-2012, 11:06 AM
gfacter
Pro

After 1/2 hour of cursing and sweat, I loosened to lower motor mounts and jacked up the oil pan (with a block of wood)

Done.

Should have done that from the start...
Old 05-28-2012, 05:29 PM
gfacter
Pro

Complete.

Only took 2x as long as I expected. I wrapped the lines near the exhaust with foil tape and some duct tape when the lines lay across the chassis (in case there is some rubbing)

I found some think plastic sheeting and just attached some HD velcro this can be easily removed for track use and seems pretty secure.

I had to trim the flapper piece with about a 3/4 inch slot to clear the bottom of the cooler.

I would have mounted the cooler higher had I known that.

8 qts of oil in, ran for a few minutes on the lift, no leaks so far, will try a shake down run later in the week.

And I wish I could find my AN wrench's (misplaced in move) using a adjustable wrench was tricky in the tight spaces.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM
gfacter
Pro

Default DRM Oil Cooler test

I ran at Summit Main with NASA last weekend in HPDE 4.

First track outing on this car, I still ran it pretty hard (redline in 3rd and 4th) I didn't use 2nd much and was only in 5th for a bit.

Ambient temps were in the 80s and low humidity, my max oil temp was 269 on the DIC, 220 on the coolant.

I am going back tomorrow to instruct for a FATT event, it's going to be a bit warmer so we will see if it gets any hotter.

15W50 M1 about a quote over the top hash mark, something like 9 quarts now since the cooler and lines took more than a quart.

Also I am getting a small bit of oil weeping I think from the oil line adapter above the filter, it's just a trace, I will get a proper AN wrench in there and find it when I change the oil next.

OT It's been a few years since I drove a car on the track w/o proper race seats, I am exerting way too much energy holding myself in place, both knees were sore and I had trouble shifting in a few places.

OEM C5 seats are horrible, comfy on the ride home but that's it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gfacter
I ran at Summit Main with NASA last weekend in HPDE 4.

First track outing on this car, I still ran it pretty hard (redline in 3rd and 4th) I didn't use 2nd much and was only in 5th for a bit.

Ambient temps were in the 80s and low humidity, my max oil temp was 269 on the DIC, 220 on the coolant.

I am going back tomorrow to instruct for a FATT event, it's going to be a bit warmer so we will see if it gets any hotter.

15W50 M1 about a quote over the top hash mark, something like 9 quarts now since the cooler and lines took more than a quart.

Also I am getting a small bit of oil weeping I think from the oil line adapter above the filter, it's just a trace, I will get a proper AN wrench in there and find it when I change the oil next.

OT It's been a few years since I drove a car on the track w/o proper race seats, I am exerting way too much energy holding myself in place, both knees were sore and I had trouble shifting in a few places.

OEM C5 seats are horrible, comfy on the ride home but that's it.
I think your water temp is lower than mine...maybe from the shift to 5th? Are you running straight water in the stock rad? Or another rad?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my drm oil cooler last year with very similar results. Great package, imo. Definitely need different seats, stockers suck.

Andy, have you tried blowing out the radiator? A ton of crappy can get stuck in the fins and between the a/c condenser.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM
gfacter
Pro

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I think your water temp is lower than mine...maybe from the shift to 5th? Are you running straight water in the stock rad? Or another rad?
Stock rad, just recently flushed with new coolant and watter wetter.

New Water pump too, a autozone one, so nothing fancy there.

I did clean out the fins a bit, lots of grass and other crap in there, and now a ton of dirt that was floating over from the SCCA rallycross stuff on Saturday, there was just a giant dust cloud blowing over all day
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I ended up needing to mount mine all the way over on the passenger side of the radiator cove to take slack out of the cooler lines. When I had it mounted in the middle the lines hang a bit too low as they ran under my swaybar. Did you have any issues with your cooler mounted in the middle?

Other than that our installs appear very similar. I also get a tiny bit of weeping, but I'm pretty sure it's from where the adapter block mounts to the pan and not from the AN fittings themselves. It's not enough to worry about. I just wipe it off when I'm under the car checking it over.

In race use last weekend at Road Atlanta I saw a max of 269 in 90+ ambient in a 40 minute race. I run Amsoil 10w40. It never hit 270... I was watching
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 PM
gfacter
Pro

It was tight in the middle, I don't think I could have moved it much further, I zip tied the lines also plus I had to cut a small section out of the center flap piece as I was just a but low on the mount and it would not flap back properly
Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VTME13
I installed my drm oil cooler last year with very similar results. Great package, imo. Definitely need different seats, stockers suck.

Andy, have you tried blowing out the radiator? A ton of crappy can get stuck in the fins and between the a/c condenser.
Blowing it out...yes. But not disassembling the radiator and giving it a whack. I think it's hard to get the find clean in-car. Very hard to reach that.

Get notified of new replies

To DRM Oil Cooler

Quick Reply: DRM Oil Cooler