Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monaco!....Ya just won't believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Monaco!....Ya just won't believe it!

One of the most exciting and interesting F1 qualifications ever in my book
Old 05-26-2012, 04:41 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Michael rocks.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Yeah, I look for lotsa action on the first lap tomorrow
Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Yeah, I look for lotsa action on the first lap tomorrow

The old man sure showed the youngins how to do it...

Massa was looking good as well...maybe the brain trust at Ferrari can come away from Monaco with some ideas on what to change next.

Be nice to see yet ANOTHER different winner for this round...
Old 05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Be nice to see yet ANOTHER different winner for this round...
I predict webber or lotus
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Even with a 5-spot penalty I wouldn't rule Michael out...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Even with a 5-spot penalty I wouldn't rule Michael out...
the way this season is going, I wouldn't rule out HRT
Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Good call. Sad to see Schu retired so close to the end. Exciting finish with the weather.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

WOW Just WOW

Great race
Old 05-28-2012, 05:44 PM
ukrbmw
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How was that a great race? Two total passes in 2 hours of racing? This is the only track where a Caterham can hold off Button until the latter gets mad and hits him.

It's fun to watch them go around this obnoxiously tight track, but as far as race quality goes - sorry it is a waste.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
How was that a great race? Two total passes in 2 hours of racing? This is the only track where a Caterham can hold off Button until the latter gets mad and hits him.

It's fun to watch them go around this obnoxiously tight track, but as far as race quality goes - sorry it is a waste.
Sorry, but Formula 1 is about DRIVING! It was exciting because Mark Webber (arguably 2nd man on the RBR team) Qualified on pole (after M. Schumacher) and WON the race.......after all of the tire degradation, no passing in Monaco, and RAIN on dry tires, at the end. In my personal opinion, the slowest driver in F1 drives closer to the limit than all but the top 3 in any other form of Motorsport
My compliments to Mark Webber, and RBR (Adrian Newey) for the win.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:28 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Sorry, but Formula 1 is about DRIVING! It was exciting because Mark Webber (arguably 2nd man on the RBR team) Qualified on pole (after M. Schumacher) and WON the race.......after all of the tire degradation, no passing in Monaco, and RAIN on dry tires, at the end. In my personal opinion, the slowest driver in F1 drives closer to the limit than all but the top 3 in any other form of Motorsport
My compliments to Mark Webber, and RBR (Adrian Newey) for the win.
I think it was a fun race because the top five stayed in such close contact that the pressure for perfection was magnified, meaning that Mark had to drive a perfect race. Having said that your comment on all F1 drivers being more on the edge than all but the top 3 in any other series and by implication being better drivers doesn't hold water.

There are a number of indy car drivers over the years that have done well in F1, with 3 winning the F1 world championship after winning the Indy car series championship. There has been one F1 champion that has made a successful transition to Indy, and there have been multiple F1 drivers that have not found success. Only one F1 driver Mario Andretti has had success in NASCAR, and there are 3 F1 champions who have failed. All but 3 Indy car champions/500 winners have also failed at NASCAR. In the modern era (last 10 years) a number for F1 and Inday car drivers have failed in NASCAR and all have said it is harder to drive and more competitive. Not as sexy but harder.

So I take F1 and agree it's fun, beautiful, exotic and sounds better than any rock concert on earth. But winning at F1 in recent times hasn't translated into success in other circuits, not even sports cars.

The best part of this weekends race is that it wasn't decided in the pits.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by grantar2
There are a number of indy car drivers over the years that have done well in F1, with 3 winning the F1 world championship after winning the Indy car series championship.
Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve, and ??

There has been one F1 champion that has made a successful transition to Indy
Define successful. Fittipaldi for sure, but the 500 has been won by Jimmy Clark (with two second place finishes as well) & Graham Hill, and almost won by Jackie Stewart (1+ lap lead with 8 to go when the car broke) and Nigel Mansell who won the CART championship.

Only one F1 driver Mario Andretti has had success in NASCAR
Not so. Dan Gurney won the Riverside 500 NASCAR race 5 times (!) - a long (5+ hours) grueling road race with those 60's tanks. (I personally attended all 5 of those races, btw )

When Andretti ran in NASCAR he wasn't just some dufus who showed up. Mario started his racing career in heavy stock cars (Hudson!) on half-mile dirt ovals and then ran USAC stock cars for at least a couple of years where he did fairly well. Then he did NASCAR (14 races between 67 and 69) and then he did F1 (while still doing Indycar.)

So I take F1 and agree it's fun, beautiful, exotic and sounds better than any rock concert on earth. But winning at F1 in recent times hasn't translated into success in other circuits, not even sports cars.
I've always taken issue with the idea that F1 has "the best drivers" if for no other reason than the total inability to make such comparisons. The idea seems to be that you must be one of the best if you are driving in the top series. But the logic of that is nonsensical and even those making such claims have to know better if given about 15 seconds to think about it.

Saying that a successful driver in one series failed at another series and using that as a comparison is also baloney in most cases since those drivers rarely got an honest shot at success. Having a second or third tier ex-F1 driver come to NASCAR and drive in the truck series for a few races and not do all that well is hardly a basis for comparison for either the driver's skills or the validity of the race series' difficulty. Even Kimi is a poor example as he's more dilettante than anything else.

In the old days (roughly 50s through 70s) many drivers were used to driving all sorts of car types and as a result, honed the skills needed to do well in various types of racing. Jim Clark and the rest of the Euro gang regularly drove in sedan races as well as other formula races (Clark was killed in a Formula 2 race and regularly raced a Lotus Cortina in the "saloon" car races.)

All this changed when Chapman brought sponsorship into the game and the drivers started getting paid real money and were contracted to specific teams that didn't want their guys doing all that dangerous "other" stuff so much. And there went even the remotest chance of making such comparisons.

That icon of greatness (), Michael Schumacher, would get his *** handed to him at the Daytona 500 even in a top car. Does that mean that Jimmie Johnson is a de facto F1 champion?

Every top level racing series is tough. Efforts to compare them are pretty much efforts to say "the series I like is better" and little more. If you grow up practicing for a specific type of racing and focus your attention on that, it shouldn't be surprising that you will excel at that type of racing to the detriment of your skills in other forms. The NASCAR drivers come up through series that teach them how to drive heavy, closed-body cars and the Euro folks come up driving light, open wheel cars. Their bodies and minds are trained early on to specialize in their specific form of racing. (To their credit, at least some of the Cup drivers will climb into a sprint car now and then.)

It would be great if there was some way to make these comparisons but, in truth, there really wasn't a way to do it "back then" and there certainly isn't these days.

Z//
Old 05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Mario Andretti, Jacques Villeneuve, and ??

Z//
At first I thought....Montoya.

But,after looking, he never won F1 Championship. (For some reason I thought he did, duh.)

I can't help but remember what a failure Michael Andretti was in F1. That was a disappointment.

Last edited by TwoSmoke; 05-29-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Worlds best drivers, Worlds most technologically designed cars, budgets larger then most 3rd world countries, racing at very high speeds, through the tight twisty bumpy streets of Monaco, within centimeters of Armco, all with in a few secs of each other ..

Yah it was boring. the drivers and teams make it look boring, They are JUST THAT GOOD.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever try watching Motocross? Ricky Charmichael or James Stewart come to mind as some of the most amazing atheletes in the world. After all the racing I have done in cars, the most pleasurable racing I have ever done by FAR is Motocross. This is one sport where it is 99% talent and 1% bike. For those who have never cleared a triple jump up to 50mph, 3 stories in the air, you can't even imagine.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:38 AM
TwoSmoke
Team Owner

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Ever try watching Motocross? Ricky Charmichael or James Stewart come to mind as some of the most amazing atheletes in the world. After all the racing I have done in cars, the most pleasurable racing I have ever done by FAR is Motocross. This is one sport where it is 99% talent and 1% bike. For those who have never cleared a triple jump up to 50mph, 3 stories in the air, you can't even imagine.
Couldn't agree more. These guys just don't get the credit deserved.

The last couple years of supercross/motocross have been exceptional.

Just goes to show how great(dominating) RC was during his day.

Get notified of new replies

To Monaco!....Ya just won't believe it!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
That icon of greatness (), Michael Schumacher, would get his *** handed to him at the Daytona 500 even in a top car. Does that mean that Jimmie Johnson is a de facto F1 champion?

Every top level racing series is tough. Efforts to compare them are pretty much efforts to say "the series I like is better" and little more. If you grow up practicing for a specific type of racing and focus your attention on that, it shouldn't be surprising that you will excel at that type of racing to the detriment of your skills in other forms. The NASCAR drivers come up through series that teach them how to drive heavy, closed-body cars and the Euro folks come up driving light, open wheel cars. Their bodies and minds are trained early on to specialize in their specific form of racing. (To their credit, at least some of the Cup drivers will climb into a sprint car now and then.)

It would be great if there was some way to make these comparisons but, in truth, there really wasn't a way to do it "back then" and there certainly isn't these days.

Z//
Yeah, we get it you don't like Schumi...

When another driver in F1 gets 7 Drivers Titles and WINS >90 races, retires from F1 for 4 years, and comes back and pushes as hard as Michael does, you let us know, OKAY.

He's been in Saloon cars and has done well in those for charity events and such...so I'd bet you that Schumi could do well in just about any car he chose to race.

When he actually did race saloon cars for real in World Sportscar Championship his results were:

1990 WSC - 3 races, 1 win, 3 podiums
1991 WSC - 8 races, 1 win, 2 podiums

On another note, congrats to Rubins for rookie honors at Indy this weekend. First 500 race and he wound up 11th place.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:36 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah, we get it you don't like Schumi...
I like Schumacher just fine. I just don't think he's as great as everyone likes to think he is. In the never-ending zeal to bow to an idol people forget that during the time of Michael's triumphs he had the largest, most well-funded, most focused racing organization supporting him that the sport has ever seen. He had a "perfect storm" staff (Brawn, Byrne, Todt) making good use of that system. He had tires designed specifically for his car and for him (!) which were then tested and perfected by him. The car was in constant development by multiple test teams putting thousands and thousands of testing miles on the car using Ferrari's private track throughout the season, all at a cost of many millions of dollars. He did not do it alone. He could have done it alone. And any of the top drivers of those days, put into the Ferrari world of those days, c/would have been just as impressive in system.

I have much more respect for those drivers who can clearly demonstrate the ability to carry a less than optimal car to success (see Alonso this season for example #1) rather than purchase a car that's always 3-5 steps ahead of anyone/everyone else.

He's been in Saloon cars and has done well in those for charity events and such...so I'd bet you that Schumi could do well in just about any car he chose to race.
Probably. I never thought or said otherwise. As usual, you're putting words and thoughts into other people's mouths and minds.

When he actually did race saloon cars for real in World Sportscar Championship his results were:
Group C is "saloon" racing?? Ok...

I'll say it once more for (attempted and most likely futile) clarity. I never said I don't like MS. And I never said that I don't think he's a good driver. I do think he's overrated for the reasons stated above. The fact that Nico has whipped his butt pretty solidly for the past couple of years supports my position, too. Prior to MS coming to the Merc team all the talk was about "poor Nico" and how MS was going to put him in the shade pdq. So much for that. And now for all the time since his first race back we've been listening to excuse after excuse (and to his credit NOT from MS) as to why this is so.

Z//
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m very fortunate to been to this amazing venue and have been watching this race for many many years... I’ll keep watching it for a few more decades and I don’t think I will ever lose that sense of awe I get from watching these guys thread their machines through the tight confines. Lap after lap of coming millimeters away from the armco, corner after corner. Throwing the cars over the curbing, with what seems like reckless abandon which puts the cars on an certain trajectory towards an unforgiving wall…. Yet they slide right up to the edge of where the track ends and pain begins.. Its just awesome, it’s the only place where the lack of passing doesn’t bother me.

Always enjoy seeing Webber win, but certainly a shame the Schumacher's race essentially ended before turn 1.

And for the record, Shuey IS as great as everyone thinks. We knew that at the Spanish GP in 1994, where he finished 2nd..........doing so stuck in 5th gear the majority of the race (including pitstops).

Quick Reply: Monaco!....Ya just won't believe it!