Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

abs brake bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:29 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default abs brake bleeding?

I did a search on this, but can't find a clear answer. I'm going to put a drm proportioning spring in my 00 frc. When I'm done I'll have air in the block. When I do a brake bleed with speed bleeders will it come out, or do I need a special tool? What are you guys using to completely bleed your brakes?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Oh and the ABS doesn't work. I have an ABS light and no ABS, not sure if its a fuse haven't looked into it yet but since its a track only car I don't really care.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

If the ABS doesn't work, I'm not sure how you're going to bleed it. Normally you can either use a Tech2 to cycle the ABS pump on and off to push the fluid/air out or you can find a dirt road and just lock them up a few times to activate ABS.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
I did a search on this, but can't find a clear answer. I'm going to put a drm proportioning spring in my 00 frc. When I'm done I'll have air in the block. When I do a brake bleed with speed bleeders will it come out, or do I need a special tool? What are you guys using to completely bleed your brakes?
Not sure what the point is if abs is not working. Get it working first.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Not sure what the point is if abs is not working. Get it working first.
The car is track only, even if it worked I'd pull the fuse, don't need it or want it. I'd like to get the some bias to the rear though.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

is this a c4 or c5? If it's a C5 or newer, you will never be able to brake as good as the ABS can. If you really don't want it, just take a few hours and run new lines, bypassing the module completely and take off the weight.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

That is something I was considering Dave. I guess I'll make that change if/when I decide to take the leap and gut the car. It's not that I don't want it, it's more like I don't want to bother fixing it. If it's something more than a fuse, I'll bypass it. I'll know more tonight, but I guess the final verdict on the spring is that I can't install it unless I can get the ABS working, because there is no other way to get air out of that block? How is the DRM valve setup? I was considering that as well.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
The car is track only, even if it worked I'd pull the fuse, don't need it or want it. I'd like to get the some bias to the rear though.
Oops, I missed that. I know some guys like it without abs. Not sure I would. I know a few guys who have squared off tires without abs when they were forced into hard braking on a low grip section of track.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:58 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
...I know a few guys who have squared off tires without abs when they were forced into hard braking on a low grip section of track.

This is exactly why I leave mine on for now. Only been doing track days a little less than a year and I'm just now starting to stay out of the ABS on most corners. When I get good enough to know where that threshold brake point is, I'll pull the fuse. But it sure is a nice option to have to keep from ruining a set of tires.

Jay
Old 05-26-2012, 01:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I installed the bias spring in my 97 without getting air in the lines. If you do get air in it then you will have to remove the BPMV and put some hard lines in place of it. Since yours is a 00 there is a good chance you may not be able to get the ABS repaired since parts are not easily obtained. What ABS codes do you get when you check the codes on the DIC. C5 is the only car in the world that you can check all the codes on the car without a scanner.

Bill

Bill
Old 05-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by crease-guard
This is exactly why I leave mine on for now. Only been doing track days a little less than a year and I'm just now starting to stay out of the ABS on most corners. When I get good enough to know where that threshold brake point is, I'll pull the fuse. But it sure is a nice option to have to keep from ruining a set of tires.

Jay
Very hard to determine that threshold point when you have unequal grip at the wheels. That is what is nice about ABS it does the threshold braking for each wheel independent of the others. That is something no driver can do no matter how good they are at doing threshold braking.

Bill
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Very hard to determine that threshold point when you have unequal grip at the wheels. That is what is nice about ABS it does the threshold braking for each wheel independent of the others. That is something no driver can do no matter how good they are at doing threshold braking.

Bill
Well it turns out the fuse was not in, but I still don't know if it's working. I put the fuse in and still get a "service ABS" message. I can't drive the car at the moment because I took the seat out to mount the racing seat. I should have that in by tonight and I'll take it for a ride.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I will bet you never ran a C2 or C3 on a track, otherwise you would really appreciate the ABS. You should first clear the code and then see if it resets, also make sure the ABS connectors are tightly plugged in--I have hit mine several times changing pads and bleading brakes.

Many auto facilities (like Auto-Lab) have computer software that will acutuate the ABS system. They are very reasonable and can also give you a correct diagnosis of your ABS.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

He can easily read/reset the codes that are causing the service message on the DIC. Just a flip of the ignition key, push some buttons and read the codes. Takes less time than getting a separate code reader out of its case and is more accurate since it displays all codes not a limited set.

Bill
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I put one of those little code readers on it, and even though the car shows a "service traction controls" and "service ABS" messages, the code reader shows no codes. When I took the car out and locked up the brakes, the parking brake light flickered on, but the ABS light stayed on all the time, and I have no ABS. I have a line on a '00 used module for $250, but before I buy it I'm gonna have a friend who knows more about this stuff check it out for me. I'll also check the sensors at the wheels as suggested. Now you guys got me paranoid. Coming from motorcycles I never considered that the ABS would be handy, I was more worried about getting the bias rearward. Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Did a search and found out how to read the codes. Initially I had a ton of codes, but I cleared them all and here are the 3 I could not clear:

C 1232 HC
C 1233 HC
C 1255 HC

Still no ABS after I took it out and locked them up a few times. I see that 1255 code indicates a problem with the EBCM.

I searched through the forums, and I'll check and clean the connectors, and double check the grounds. If all that fails, think I would be better off trying a used module, or would my money be better spent buying the DRM adjustable bias valve? The car is track only.

Get notified of new replies

To abs brake bleeding?

Quick Reply: abs brake bleeding?