Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment settings C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's for autocrossing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment settings C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's for autocrossing

Hi, I have been searching the AX and RR section here but wanted to ask what alignment settings some may be using for autocrossing a C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's ( 295 front and 345 rear - 19" ) or I guess maybe any sticky tires.

I don't want to go crazy negative in the settings but do want to try save the outer front edge as much as I can. Possibly flip the tires half season.

I was thinking something around -2.0 up front... is that obtainable without modding the front susp?

I read this in a thread.

Originally Posted by SteveC68
In the front? Did your alignment person remove the washers from behind the upper control arm mounts? Where the upper control arms bolt to the frame there are washers between the mount and the frame. You remove the washers and that effectively moves the upper control arm inward which gives you more negative camber. And it's free.

The car is driven mainly locally and not planning many highway trips. I will probably trailer the car to events too... some street driving.

If anyone has run a similar combo - what worked for you. ( front and rear settings please )

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-25-2012, 12:47 PM
isnider
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to get a least up to -2.0 camber on all four corners with stock set up.

Ian
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Originally Posted by isnider
You should be able to get a least up to -2.0 camber on all four corners with stock set up.

Ian
OK great...

Booked my car in next Wednesday for an alignment..... still hoping to hear some settings to use.

Brian
Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

You may not find specifics for a C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's, but there are several threads in the past on C6 Z06s, although with the stock 18"/19" diameters. Search "c6 Z06" "autocross" "alignment" and this subforum as a filter.

I'd suggest:
-2 to -2.5 front camber
0 toe
7.5 to 8.5 front caster

-1.2 to -1.5 rear camber
1/4" toe in

You can pull the washers behind the upper control arms to gain some negative camber (front and rear) and then fine tune with the lower control arm eccentrics.

I align my front and rear toe to those settings, mark the toe link, and then tweak as needed. I can always return to my baseline easily.

Also make sure to get a good corner balance.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:19 AM
Californiapch
Instructor

Originally Posted by acrace
You may not find specifics for a C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's, but there are several threads in the past on C6 Z06s, although with the stock 18"/19" diameters. Search "c6 Z06" "autocross" "alignment" and this subforum as a filter.

I'd suggest:
-2 to -2.5 front camber
0 toe
7.5 to 8.5 front caster

-1.2 to -1.5 rear camber
1/4" toe in

You can pull the washers behind the upper control arms to gain some negative camber (front and rear) and then fine tune with the lower control arm eccentrics.

I align my front and rear toe to those settings, mark the toe link, and then tweak as needed. I can always return to my baseline easily.

Also make sure to get a good corner balance.

These sound like what I will go with.

Car goes in tomorrow..... race on Sunday... hope the rain in the forecast holds off.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 05-30-2012, 05:20 PM
acrace
Drifting

Let us know what you think after the alignment and next event.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Californiapch
Instructor

will do... hope to have some video too.

Car is done..... I had a crazy busy long day at work..... didn't even look at the alignment specs when I got the car....... wanted to get it home before some rain..... and had to get back to work.

OH, Sundays event is more like a mini solo I / road course...... fairly fast course the Porsche club uses..... heard they changed the course a bit.... been the same since 2004.

Brian
Old 06-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Well, the car was amazing and the driver did pretty good.

2nd event in the car.

Ran about 32 lbs front and 28-29 lbs rear cold and car felt great.

Ran by the Porsche Club of America ( Canadian div ) and I was the fastest car out there.

One friend who is a race driving instructor was just over 3 seconds behind me ( 2004 GT3 on V710's ) and 3rd place was 6-7 seconds as most others were not on race rubber.

The 2nd place driver has 2 Porsche GT3 Cup cars and is a pro racer...

Guys were shocked to see the car that fast, the guy who came in 2nd offered to buy the car... I joked and said you going to give me any tips and he said the first tip is don't drive faster then your instructor.

Here are my 2 fastest videos...... I went in the first corner a bit too fast and ended up taking it wide... it was my second run. First run I took it easier to see how the track was.

https://vimeo.com/43370595

This run was .5 second faster but I kinda sorta would have hit the stop box cone.

https://vimeo.com/43370596

OH, the white stuff you see was some sort of chemical the police use for driver training..... it was fine in the racing line..... 2 guys got off the line and slid a bit but got control of their cars. Most of it was gone...... just a small trace left.

Thanks for the settings. I could tell they helped from the first event.

Brian
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 AM
acrace
Drifting

Sounds awesome! Good job! I would suggest keeping an eye on the both the outer shoulders (especially the rears) and the inner shoulders for excessive or unusual wear.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Sounds awesome! Good job! I would suggest keeping an eye on the both the outer shoulders (especially the rears) and the inner shoulders for excessive or unusual wear.
Thanks...

I will..... and maybe flip them half season.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment settings C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's for autocrossing

Quick Reply: Alignment settings C6 ZR1 with Hoosier A's for autocrossing