Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep... a new splitter for C5's

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:23 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Yep... a new splitter for C5's

What do you guys think. I think it looks pretty good.. and price isn't bad.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...dont-miss.html
Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
What do you guys think. I think it looks pretty good.. and price isn't bad.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...dont-miss.html
Key word here is "looks"

It's basically worthless from aero standpoint.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
Key word here is "looks"

It's basically worthless from aero standpoint.

Let me start by saying I'm not an aero expert by any means, but if it was "worthless from an aero standpoint" why are they used on the ZR1? (side skirts) The front splitter although some what small would provide some down force no?

Maybe not what you would use on a dedicated track car, but for an HPDE weekend worrier car? Not arguing, just asking, thanks.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For a front splitter to be most functional doesn't it need to have a flat bottom all the way back, not just the front lip?

I'm still trying to learn on the aero front, so please someone who knows jump in.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Splitter looks pretty nice

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
For a front splitter to be most functional doesn't it need to have a flat bottom all the way back, not just the front lip?

I'm still trying to learn on the aero front, so please someone who knows jump in.
youll get more front downforce by closing off the underside of the front, but the splitter would still add some downforce as is

separate products and for c6 but this report give you an idea of the effects of various aerodynamic aids: http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf
Old 05-24-2012, 12:04 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

identical to the ACI, which has been out for 56789 years. I have one that I converted to a real splitter
Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Maybe I am just completely uninformed, but since the c5 get's 100% of it's cooling (think radiator) air from just under the front "bumper" area, would not a splitter remove a pretty big percent of that air from traveling thru the previously mentioned radiator?

Unless the splitter kit comes with some other parts that add radiator cooling air to the package?

When I tracked my car the cooling with 100% clean & proper functioning STOCK system was BARELY adequate. Coolant temps approach 250f oil temps 290f.

If this is just an appearance mod then I think it looks pretty nice, if this is supposed to be functional, for that money, I'd like the vendor to report test results before/after of coolant/oil temps.

Oh, and some downforce #'s?

Just sayin.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-24-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Maybe I am just completely uninformed, but since the c5 get's 100% of it's cooling (think radiator) air from just under the front "bumper" area, would not a splitter remove a pretty big percent of that air from traveling thru the previously mentioned radiator?

Unless the splitter kit comes with some other parts that add radiator cooling air to the package?

When I tracked my car the cooling with 100% clean & proper functioning STOCK system was BARELY adequate. Coolant temps approach 250f oil temps 290f.

If this is just an appearance mod then I think it looks pretty nice, if this is supposed to be functional, for that money, I'd like the vendor to report test results before/after of coolant/oil temps.

Just sayin.

Oh, you have to make sure there is a sufficient opening just above the splitter, and ducting has to be created to force the air into the radiator. An undertary makes it even more critical because all airflow aft of the splitter is directed under the car and none reaches the radiator.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:19 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Maybe I am just completely uninformed, but since the c5 get's 100% of it's cooling (think radiator) air from just under the front "bumper" area, would not a splitter remove a pretty big percent of that air from traveling thru the previously mentioned radiator?/
one very good point!
Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Just sayin.

you have to get the dremel out. Bottom breather is the worst design

Get notified of new replies

To Yep... a new splitter for C5's

Quick Reply: Yep... a new splitter for C5's