Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traction control issue while Autox

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction control issue while Autox

I have a 2006 C6, and I took it to an autoX event yesterday, first time with R comound tires(no TPMS sensors), also the rear tires were 1 inch smaller in diameter than stock.
so I arrived and ran the first run with traction control off. All went great, on the second run, again traction control off, but halfway through the run the car felt like it hit the brakes on it's own, so I glance down at the dash and sure enough even though I turned off the traction control the active handleing came on, after a couple of corners it went back to traction control off again. WTF? Ideas anyone? I rode the last two runs with competitive driving mode just to be safe as when the AH came on in that second run it was not where I wanted it...
Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Mine is 04 & different TC, but I have NEVER had it turn itself back on.

I would review the procedure for turning it off & make sure you have it all off. Read ownwers manual as to procedure.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Best advice?

Press the button and hold it down for ten seconds. That shuts it ALL off, which is what you want, especially with R compound tires.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavi
.... traction control off, but halfway through the run the car felt like it hit the brakes on it's own, so I glance down at the dash and sure enough even though I turned off the traction control the active handleing came on.....

That's the way the C6 AH works when running with no tire pressure sensors.

Different model years seem to act a little differently when running with no sensors but in general, after a period of time with no sensors, the TPMS decides that if it hasn't received any transmissions from any of the sensors for that period the problem must be with the TPMS computer in the car (nobody would run with no sensors, right?).

When that happens you get a "Service Tire Monitor" (meaning the TPMS computer) message on the DIC. When you get that message you can't put the AH into Comp mode or turn it off completely. If you were running in Comp or with it off, when you get that message the AH will automatically come back full on.

Additionally, the AH goes into a mode where it is very aggressive in trying to stop excessive yaw rates from hard cornering - it will put on individual brakes and pull power. This so called "limp mode" is trying to protect you when it thinks you might have a tire with low pressure, or if it just can't tell tire pressures due to no/inop sensors.

That's why many of just run sensors in our track tires.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think I just had the tc control off not the ah, I truthfully assumed that by the message tc off that all nanies were off. the problem was not the lack of pressure sensors as i never had the car on for a full hour and I never got any messages about tpms problems. Next time I will press and hold the button to fully turn off all nanies. thanks to those who informed me of this!!

Get notified of new replies

To Traction control issue while Autox

Quick Reply: Traction control issue while Autox