Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk about Air Jack.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's talk about Air Jack.

Fatbillybob is selling his race car that has air jacks. There have been a few post asking questions. I have a few too, but just don't want to hijack his thread. The air jacks are cool as hell, but what's involved? Anyone have pic's on installs or the best company to go with? As a club racer is it too much? Meaning, is it only really meant for pro level racing? I found this video. I have admit that I've watched it about twenty times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jDK6HGLNRQ
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

watched that video about 50 times....so wanted air jacks...just did not think I could make it in this round of the build.....
Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
watched that video about 50 times....so wanted air jacks...just did not think I could make it in this round of the build.....
We're not going to hold that against you. Your car turned out great.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:29 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said for years that I wanted air jacks on all my vehicles! Think of how much quicker oil changes and tire rotations would be, hahaha!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

I've got them on my tube chassis track car and love them. I really got them for the convenience of putting the car up to install/remove the splitter,rear diffuser for towing and changing tires as the car is much too low to use normal jacks without a hassle. They are a huge help when doing an alignment and have to raise the car to make an adjustment. Also...........they are just so cool to use!!! But........some tips.....

My car weighs 2100lbs, and with the bore size of my kit( Palistini ), I need 350lbs of line pressure to raise the car, so be very mindful of that when choosing a kit for the weight of your car, I wouldn't feel comfortable with a hose with a line pressure approaching 400lbs.
I think there was a Corvette racer (Lea Keen??) that manufactures his own line of air jacks made expressly for use on heavy cars with shop line pressure(120-150lbs), although packaging a larger bore cylinder takes some clever engineering. That system has the advantage of being able to leave the nitrogen tank in the trailer and just hook a line from the shop to use the jacks. Also use some thought to the design and construction of the mounting brackets.

I have some pics, but I haven't posted pics in a while,so I forgot how to do it.

Dave
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd also like to see more info on these as well.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Whats the cost of those?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Cost $3000 installed but can be more. A good deal on raw jacks is $2000. It is best to use your nitrogen bottle and minimize shop air because shop air is not as dry. Moisture in the system has no place to go and can work on the jack seals. Jack seals are just o-rings lubed with a grease so an air jack service is just a few dollars. It is OK to use shop air to help raise a low car to get up on lifts etc... You don't want to use the airjacks to reach in and change oil unless you use airjack stands for safety. Airjacks are ment to make tire swaps and brake changes for enduros fast and easy. I use them because I'm lazy during tire changes, pad changes, in between sessions tech inspections etc.. Most jacks are an approximate generic size about 2-2.5" OD x 14" with a 12" 1.5" diameter plunger inside. They are all aluminum and you can feed the jacks with AN lines = heavy or steel hardlines = light. In my racecar I used steel hardlines for lightness. It is harder to install hardlines but the result is better IMO. Each generic jack has about an 800lb capacity at about 300psi, 900 @ 350, 700 @200. You'll note in the posted video the vette goes up rear first then front because it is nose heavy. My racecar does the same thing. You could use larger AN lines = heavier and more Nitrogen like 400LBS and fire that vette up fast like a 2000lb LeMans Prototype if you want. The lighter cars like current Ferrari challenge cars use 3 jacks just just have to calculate for the weight. I think the GT3 Porsches use 3 as well.
The following users liked this post:
Dubstep Shep (03-09-2017)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

So here is another airjack I have in my garage. Yes I a part *****...
note the threading. Some are threaded entire body. Some are thread just the ends to save every ounce of weight.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:33 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Here is the same jack fully extended...

Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

AN inlet for the air. The last one in a chain gets a 90* and the ones in series get "T's"
Hope that answers some questions.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

www.airjax.com

Looks like they are made for better lift power with lower pressure.

962 lbs @ 200 psi.
1203 lbs @ 250 psi.
1443 lbs @ 300 psi.

Note that these are lift ability PER CORNER.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Dave Deerson
Advanced

Originally Posted by doje
www.airjax.com

Looks like they are made for better lift power with lower pressure.
Yes, this is the other brand I had seen, I knew it was by a racer with an "L" !!
I know using shop air isn't the best( with regards to moisture), but air jacks in general were never intended to be a set-it-and-forget-it type of part, most teams service them each season with the AP catalog suggesting more often. I really don't think using shop air the few times needed( once after an event to get it up on jacks, and then to get the car off the stands) would really hurt them, the rest of the uses would be with the Nitrogen. Most brands also suggest using a spray lube(I've used the spray graphite lock lube) both on the extended jack and in the line before use as a maintenance item.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:38 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I too was wondering why the corvette community was so quiet about these. I researched months and months ago about this, it seemed to get that kind of pressure (200psi+) was best used with nitrogen. The cost $3000 plus (the pneumatic jacks are expensive alone) and this doesn't include all the AN lines and fittings you'll need.

My memory is a little rusty on the brands available and what vendor here offers it, but I do remember at least Breathless Performance does:
http://breathlessperformance.com/ind...productId=1239

Im curious to see the nitrogen setups/complete setups and I'll add this to my "to get list" lol

Old 05-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug P
but what's involved? Anyone have pic's on installs.
Here are pics of the system I put in the Beast when it was being built. The pressure needed depends on the product chosen and how you plumb the system. Most jacks require Nitrogen so keep in mind you'll need to carry a tank or two with you along with a regulator and nozzle.

Originally Posted by Doug P
As a club racer is it too much?
Not at all.

The air jacks quite frankly are for anybody who doesn't mind spending the money for them. They hurt the wallet initially but they are worth every dollar of convenience afterwards. Changing tires literally takes a few minutes while simultaneously checking suspension, brake pads and rotors. If you wrench your own car it's a great asset allowing your car less time on 'the rack' and more time on the track. The more expensive systems weigh less and are more steam-line offering more location install options.

Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Damn it. Now i want to do this. I thought it was alot more expensive

Get notified of new replies

To Let's talk about Air Jack.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
I've said for years that I wanted air jacks on all my vehicles! Think of how much quicker oil changes and tire rotations would be, hahaha!

do want...how much is what I have always wondered
Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Whats the big deal with nitrogen? Why cant you just use a air compressor?
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Damn it. Now i want to do this. I thought it was alot more expensive
Originally Posted by pewter99

do want...how much is what I have always wondered
Systems can range from $1,000-4,000K. That's just in the box, if you're not a handy guy you can start doubling those numbers for fabrication, welding and plumbing.

A great mod for the weekend wrench who has patience. It also makes life a lot easier if you have access to a two-post lift when fitting and mounting the jacks. This is not a fun job on a creeper.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about Air Jack.